BY JOSH APPELBAUM
Happy (almost) 2016 Towleroad readers! Before we get into this week’s column, we wanted to say thank you for sticking with us these past 3.5 years. We’ve thoroughly enjoyed sharing new disco, house and techno tracks with you all every week, and have even had the pleasure of meeting some of you at our events around NYC. We’ve got a lot on our plates for 2016 and it pains us to say that this will be our last column on Towleroad. Please stay in touch! You can follow us on Soundcloud and Facebook, and we’re on Twitter and Instagram as @OccupyTheDisco. And of course, you can catch us playing live around NYC or maybe even in a town near you!
We’ve featured some of the sublime deep house tracks from Lithuanian producer Monsoon Season in the past, and he returns true to form with his latest single, ‘Time Behind’. Evelyn Joyce, who previously collaborated with Monsoon Season on 2014’s ‘You,’ contributes smooth, effortless-sounding vocals for this upbeat, funky track. Audaz label boss, and one of my favorite producers, Alkalino, adds in a bit more disco flavor to the original with his edit.
- Golden Bug, also known as Antoine Harispuru, delivers the quirky ‘Wild Boys’ featuring the very 80’s-like vocals of Yan Wagner. Lord Tusk slowed the track down a bit and added in some hard-hitting Industrial elements that give it a really unique flavor.
- Newcomer Landis LaPace must have made an impression on industry vet Treasure Fingers. Not only was the 18-year-old commissioned to remix Finger’s latest, ‘Koolaid,’ but he’s also joining Treasure Fingers on a national tour in early 2016. Landis managed to take the fairly obnoxious ‘Koolaid’ and make it into a solid dance floor banger.
- It’s not often you find house music artists that wear as many hats as Yusuke Yamamoto. He is a multi-instrumental musician who performs on vibraphone, drums, percussion, flute, keyboards and bass, to name a few. ‘Roc Soft Raw’ comes from his latest 3-track EP on Rough records – it’s a lush, instrumental deep house track.
- French cousins The Reactivitz have teamed up with Colombian producer Marck D on the very solid tech house EP, Signs. ‘The Room’ is one of those late night dance floor tracks meant to be pumped out on major sound system.
- Techno Canadian Carlo Lio is prepping his Technicolor Boogie EP, which features 2 new tracks and 2 remixes of them from heavy-hitters Nicole Moudaber and Chus & Ceballos.
OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD) is a gay, New York City-based DJ collective who got their start curating alternative night life and music events for the LGBT community. The OXD Mirror serves to showcase house, disco and techno tunes that are definitely off-the-beaten-path but rightfully deserve the attention of the gay ear.