News

'Camp' Camp, the Summer Camp for LGBT Adults, is Back: VIDEO

Campcamp

Did your parents send you away to summer camp when you were young, before you were out, and you'd like a do-over? Then maybe 'Camp' Camp is for you.

Every year more than 200 gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender adults head up to the Maine wilderness for a dose of outdoor goodness,  cohabitation, arts and crafts, theatre, and all those things you associate with the summer camp you remember as a kid, without any hetero baggage.

This is the camp's 18th year.

Check out their new video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Romancarnival

Comments

1. I'll pass!

Posted by: wheelie81 | Apr 28, 2014 10:11:25 PM

2. Can I sleep in Shawn's tent?

Posted by: mcgill | Apr 28, 2014 10:31:38 PM

3. I hope they separate the men and women at night to avoid any hanky-panky.

Oh wait....

Posted by: TKinSC | Apr 28, 2014 11:46:50 PM

4. No risk of getting pregnant.

Posted by: Charles | Apr 28, 2014 11:47:20 PM

5. Toronto's Out & Out club has a yearly Jamboree up in Haliburton that goes for a couple of weeks, and is the same type of thing. I've heard it's a blast, would love to go some day...

Posted by: Leprechaunvict | Apr 28, 2014 11:53:26 PM

6. Meh, i'd hit it.

Posted by: Carmelo | Apr 29, 2014 12:28:26 AM

7. I would think it would be a blast. I loved stay away camp, and still have a very warm feelings when I think of how amazing it all was. I would love to relive a bit of that as an adult. Wow, how cool.

Posted by: Critifur | Apr 29, 2014 12:46:05 AM

8. OMG....someone please start this in Australia, looks god damn fun!!!

Posted by: Ben melbourne | Apr 29, 2014 12:48:15 AM

9. Isn't there something like this in the West somewhere?

As for this promotional video - which is fine by itself - I hate the guys who have to wear their little special I'm-a-Jew-hat even in the outdoors: "here I am God, being special and precious as always, soooo special. Thanks for choosing me to be Chosen and giving me a way to let everyone know without having to pull my pants down."

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 29, 2014 1:37:10 AM

10. Fun for certain!

Posted by: L G. | Apr 29, 2014 3:57:21 AM

11. I've been several times and it's a blast.

Posted by: MJK | Apr 29, 2014 7:26:49 AM

12. Uffda, there are many reasons, religious, cultural, and practical to wear it. Maybe he's doing it so judgmental asshats like you don't try talking to him. Seems to work.

Posted by: Ronny | Apr 29, 2014 8:16:19 AM

13. went last summer - was a terrific time.....and the weather was perfect..met so many nice people, new friends...experiences....going back this yr! Here's hoping for the same weather!!!!!

Posted by: disgusted merican | Apr 29, 2014 8:17:20 AM

14. RONNY - Jew notice me? That's the reason. And you're right, it warns me off. Yarmulkas ARE asshats.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 29, 2014 9:17:18 AM

15. Well UFFDA that's why you'd never fit in at Camp Camp because the entire week is about love, community and acceptance no matter what your sexuality, religion or race.

It's to bad you'll never know that Yakama wearing Jew-Boy because he's the sweetest, kindest, funniest guy you'll ever meet that has brought so much happiness and love to Camp Camp.

Posted by: Randy P | Apr 29, 2014 9:46:15 AM

16. CampCamp is a wonderful experience for everyone who attends!!
    I've been attending for several years now. Highly recommend attending if you're looking for a positive and loving queer experience.

Posted by: Mitchell | Apr 29, 2014 10:58:41 AM

17. Wow, there is enough hate and intolerance in this world. Please don't pollute 'Camp" Camp. It is one of the most loving, accepting, supportive, affirming, pleasant, joyous places in the universe! I am ever changed for having attended 2 years thus far.

Posted by: Daniel R. | Apr 29, 2014 11:25:53 AM

18. Seems like fun. Is there a West Coast version? It's been about 6 or 7 years since I've been camping, but maybe 40 years since I've been to sleepaway camp (where the straight boys seemed pretty eager to explore their gay side).

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 29, 2014 12:43:43 PM

19. @zlick there isn't a CampCamp west coast as of yet but there are lots of west coast campers that attend camp

Posted by: Mitchell | Apr 29, 2014 2:44:07 PM

20. this looks fun

Posted by: reality | Apr 29, 2014 3:01:54 PM

21. BEN MELBOURNE, we've had people from Australia at Camp. Also from the UK and several other non-US countries. Lots of fab Canadians. :-)

One thing I love about CampCamp is that almost every subgroup of the LBTG community is represented -- from young hot guys and baby dykes to old geezers/crones like me (I'll be 61 at Camp this year) and we all get along and respect & enjoy each other. There's nothing you *have* to be to enjoy Camp. You don't have to be fit or beautiful or intellectual or a jock or artistically talented. If you are, we'll enjoy it, but you don't have to be. Oh, wait... there is one requirement. You need to be human. At Camp we love it when people are human. We celebrate being human at Camp at the same time we celebrate being lesbian or gay or bisexual or transgender or some combination of the above or whatever you identify as.

Sorry to gush, but Camp Camp has made an enormous difference for the better in my life, and there may be someone reading to needs to hear what I have to say.

Posted by: Priscilla | Apr 29, 2014 3:29:33 PM

22. It is as fun and accepting as it appears. All ages, genders, races from all over the country and beyond playing like kids for a week. I will return.

Posted by: Billy | Apr 29, 2014 8:54:40 PM