Cliff Richard | News

Cliff Richard Addresses Gay Rumors: 'Would It Make Any Difference?' - VIDEO

Richard

British musician and actor Sir Cliff Richard appeared on Australia’s A Current Affair and addressed decades-old rumors that he is gay:

"It did (bother me) when I was young. It hurt my family a lot of course. But who cares?... It doesn't really matter to me any more. I have got gay friends. If I was gay would it make any difference? Would you not come to my concerts if I was gay? I hope not."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Cliffrichard

“Devil Woman”

Comments

1. It wouldn't matter at all, Cliff. Gay or straight, there's no way I'd go to one of your creepy concerts.

Posted by: chris | Apr 21, 2014 11:34:54 PM

2. I've always liked Devil Woman but had never seen the artist, didn't know he's British.

Posted by: Drummond | Apr 21, 2014 11:53:34 PM

3. I don't know who this is.

Posted by: JMC | Apr 22, 2014 12:10:23 AM

4. He's 73 now, and quite a religious fellow, and he's also in favour of same-sex marriage. Whatever he is, I hope he's happy. He seems like a very nice guy. I have some of his records from the '70's and '80's. He looks great for his age - must be doing something right.

Posted by: David From Canada | Apr 22, 2014 12:28:32 AM

5. Yes, it would make a difference to hear your story Cliff.

There's a generation out there which does not understand what it was like being gay in the sixties and seventies.,,,the humiliation the repression the fear.
    Some kids are under that hell now.Yes
    You could tell us what it was like for you in the closet during the AIDS crisis of the eighties and nineties.
    Why did you keep silent ?
    Even now in the 21st century you ask a question back to the interviewer.....why not just give an answer.
    It's called integrity, Cliff, and it's not too late to show some. Yes, it makes a difference,try it.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 22, 2014 12:36:30 AM

6. Cliff Richard's fan base consists largely of women. Women don't like male homosexuality because it represents a rejection of women.

It also represents male superiority because men who can opt into men (ie "bisexual" men) are not able to be blackmailed by women when it comes to getting a man to accommodate a woman's needs (such as financial) before she will agree to have sex with him. She can't use the threat of withholding consent on him.

If you want to see what happens when a male singer with a large female fan base comes out of the closet, just look at George Michael. He went from hero to zero when he came out, and this was largely due to the fact that women started to reject him.

Posted by: adrenan p | Apr 22, 2014 1:20:06 AM

7. So, still hiding in the closet eh Cliff? The world taught you to be homophobic but that doesn't mean you can't move beyond that.

Posted by: FAEN | Apr 22, 2014 1:21:35 AM

8. @Adrenan,

You don't know what you're talking about. George Michael still sells out world tours as an out gay man. The audiences aren't made up of all gay men. Take your women-hating drivel elsewhere and talk to mommy about your issues.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Apr 22, 2014 1:29:22 AM

9. @SpaceCadet, don't bother. It's the same troll who posts about almost every article, usually under 3 or 4 aliases. It's gotten really old; in fact it had gotten really old a year or two ago. I'm tired of seeing it, reading about it, and people taking his bait.

Towleroad's indifference to the widespread animosity toward this particular commenter has made it lose a lot of loyal readers--especially the ones who have interesting things to say--because it's abundantly clear that no one at the site cares about the readers or the comments. The goal is simply to generate a lot of comments and have the same flame-out wars so common to the lowest-grade sites. Dozens of people have repeatedly made it known that the guy's comments aren't merely expressing a different opinion---they're made-up opinions and the same rehashed biases repeated just to get attention, hardly different from listening to Pat Robinson on an endless loop. It cheapens the site immensely, and it's sad.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 22, 2014 1:43:53 AM

10. Cliff, 1965 called, and they want their closet back. Jesus, say something honest before you die.

Posted by: Richard | Apr 22, 2014 2:17:27 AM

11. What would the People's Poet say?

If anyone gets that reference, we're friends for life.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Apr 22, 2014 2:54:31 AM

12. Ugh, old repression in olds is old.

I wish him well, but he's weak.

Posted by: Malthey | Apr 22, 2014 5:39:06 AM

13. Cliff is a born again christian who has performed for and supported some virulently homophobic causes and events in the 1970s.

He has lived with his male partner (a former catholic priest) for many years in a vineyard in Portugal.

His age is an issue when it comes to understanding his hypocrisy and cowardice.

Come out Cliff - it's not the 1960s any more.

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 22, 2014 6:09:17 AM

14. uh…..I haven't seen George Michael, or Ricky Martin, or Elton John exactly lose an audience………..Adrenan, I think you're a little behind the times.

Posted by: Nelson | Apr 22, 2014 6:57:58 AM

15. Have only heard a couple of his songs on radio in the USA, over the years. I know from reading he's had MANY more hits in the U.K. If he is gay, I think it may be easier to be honest, however, if he is more comfortable being closeted, well, that's his opinion, and his decision. To paraphrase the old saying, "Old beliefs die hard," meaning many in his generation will probably never "really" be comfortable being out. Personally, I let the other guy tell me who he is, when HE is ready. it's not my "right," rather it's a "privilege" to see the other man in the more intimate sense, and I would simply wait. Sad to see, yes, however, that is a matter of TRUST, and if he cannot trust the general public to understand, so be it. We're not "entitled" to that information, even if we ARE close, personal friends with the man. Leave it alone, it's HIS call, not ours.

Posted by: Rod Roddy lookalike | Apr 22, 2014 7:30:47 AM

16. Being true to yourself always makes a difference.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 22, 2014 7:30:55 AM

17. George is now a national treasure (if also a bit of a national joke, in a good way...) Cliff is a national embarrassment, not in a good way.

Cliff needs to have a good chat over dinner with George and Elton.

Posted by: arch | Apr 22, 2014 7:41:14 AM

18. David Hockney made a painting many years ago entitled "We Two Boys Together Clinging." The title came from Walt Whitman but the inspiration was from a newspaper headline that read "Two Boys Cling To Cliff All Night." it was about a mountain-climbing accident but for Hockney it immediately evoked an orgy with Cliff Richards.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 22, 2014 9:24:42 AM

19. He's been a "religious fellow" for decades which he has used as a cover to neutralize the rumours that he was gay. Those rumours have followed almost since the heights of his success. Everyone KNEW he was gay. He KNEW everyone knew he was gay. But, his religious drag kept the outing wolves at bay. He just never had the courage to stand up and say, "I'm gay. This is me." and move on. Would it make any difference? Well, back in the day, it might have torpedoed his career. But, he obviously has felt comfortable in his gilded closet and made his peace that his life would never be a life lived as true to himself. How very sad.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 22, 2014 12:41:46 PM

20. He's been a "religious fellow" for decades which he has used as a cover to neutralize the rumours that he was gay. Those rumours have followed almost since the heights of his success. Everyone KNEW he was gay. He KNEW everyone knew he was gay. But, his religious drag kept the outing wolves at bay. He just never had the courage to stand up and say, "I'm gay. This is me." and move on. Would it make any difference? Well, back in the day, it might have torpedoed his career. But, he obviously has felt comfortable in his gilded closet and made his peace that his life would never be a life lived as true to himself. How very sad.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 22, 2014 12:41:47 PM

21. When I was a young lad, back in 1970, I was on holiday in Denmark with a friend of mine and we spent a good deal of time with a friend of his named Peter Kreuger and he told lascivious details of an affair with Cliff, with photos and everything. Of course that was a long time ago and leopards so change their spots, don't they?

Posted by: Floridad | Apr 22, 2014 1:47:38 PM

22. My mother loves him and would be very upset if he was gay!

Adrennan may be a weird obsessive fool but he has a point! Cliff can't come out-you just go to one of his concerts. It's all great to have a sack of opinions when you're not even his fan base....

And once again Ricky Martin is NOT as big as he was.

Elton John was NOT a hearthrob.

George Michael is a very good example and case study, esp here in England. It helps that his music is classically written mainstream soul you can't help but like-if that is your thing.

Ricky Martin is cheesey pop. Cheesy pop's shelf-life isn't high!

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 26, 2014 2:34:51 PM