David Letterman | News

David Letterman Announces He's Retiring from 'The Late Show': VIDEO

Letterman

David Letterman announced today that he's retiring from The Late Show sometime in 2015.

"What this means now is that Paul (Shaffer) and I can be married."

Watch him make the announcement, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. 'bye

Posted by: wally tickman | Apr 3, 2014 7:12:15 PM

2. Letterman is the best, and he will be fondly missed.

Posted by: bernard | Apr 3, 2014 7:35:40 PM

3. last night dave was trying to squirt deviled egg yolks all over martha stewart's face with a pastry bag while chugging vodka straight from the bottle.

end of an era.

Posted by: ascanius1 | Apr 3, 2014 8:09:47 PM

4. Can't say I'm surprised but at least have Amy Sedaris on one more time.

Posted by: LJC | Apr 3, 2014 8:35:53 PM

5. About 2 years too late. He won't be missed.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 3, 2014 11:15:25 PM

6. Is it still Apr 1? :(

Anyway, I'll miss him, even though I no longer watch late night TV. Back when I first tuned in, he would fire confetti cannons into the audience, and that's what sold me. Silly, but at least that could happen on his show. Nowhere else.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 3, 2014 11:26:51 PM

7. I'm not getting the Paul Shaffer thing. Is he really going to marry Paul (whoever that is)? I thought he was married already.

Posted by: WOLF | Apr 4, 2014 2:43:15 AM

8. Wayyyyyyyy overdue.

Posted by: JMC | Apr 4, 2014 3:27:33 AM

9. You mean the TV will no longer have such intellectual pursuits as having an overpaid "grown man" throw items off a roof to see how they will explode or give low self esteemed actors a chance to plug their latest movies? And at the same time sell a vast array of mindless products and services to ever dumbed down audiences.

Grow up and get a life people! For the most part television is nothing more then a waste of time and a tool that allows the super rich to get richer . . .

Posted by: Mike | Apr 4, 2014 4:23:14 AM

10. The last of those with Carson's touch.

Posted by: Rad | Apr 4, 2014 7:08:09 AM

11. I cannot remember the last time Letterman ever made me laugh. He just kills a joke and milks a barely funny punchline until it becomes annoying. I'm amazed he's survived this long. And Paul Shaffer goes beyond obnoxious. I gave up on late night talk shows with Carson's retirement. When Johnny retired, they should have retired the genre. Letterman, Leno et al wouldn't make a pimple on Carson's butt. Even when Carson bombed, he was more entertaining than Letterman and Leno.

I also think Letterman knows that with the introduction of Fallon in Leno's place, he has nowhere to go but down in the ratings. That time slot is now Fallon's with little real competition. He nails the coveted demographic for that time period.

The question is, who will take Letterman's place behind the desk? Some are floating Craig Ferguson as the heir apparent. Will Ferguson want the pressure?

Posted by: Bob R | Apr 4, 2014 10:47:30 AM

12. Letterman will be missed. Smart and funny interviewer for late night. This could be the end of late night talk mostly for me. Fallon is too fanboy (though has fun with the games). Kimmel is cool, but doesn't drive me to watch.

Posted by: mak136 | Apr 4, 2014 11:11:35 AM

13. He was making fun of Madonna 20 years ago, making a lot of people around here look like amateurs. His openings were usually funnier than Carson's, but Carson was consistently the better interviewer. He was especially good at interviewing average people.

Posted by: Armando | Apr 5, 2014 9:23:40 PM