Carole King | New York | News | Theatre

Carole King Shocks the Cast of the Broadway Musical About Her When She Shows Up, Sings: VIDEO

King

Back in January you may remember our review of Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.

The show has been playing for months yet King herself has never come to see it. The reason why has "become a confounding mystery of the Broadway season," according to the NYT.

Turns out King had to work herself up emotionally to see such a personal show in a public setting and came to do so Thursday night, in disguise:

Ms. King said she wanted to support the cast and crew, people like Jessie Mueller, who has been playing her to great acclaim. “I did it for them, because they wanted me to be here so much,” she said. “I had to work up to it.”

She also figured out a way to see the show incognito and insisted on complete secrecy; only a necessary few were informed.

“She had a whole scenario for how she wanted it to play out,” Mr. Blake said. “If we’d asked her to do it, it never would have happened. She had to do it when she was ready.”

Having watched the show with Ms. Kondor in the theater’s orchestra section, Ms. King slipped backstage after “Natural Woman” and before the final song, “Beautiful.”

Then, after the curtain call, as the cast began its twice-yearly appeal for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, Ms. King came out onstage with a hand-held microphone.

Watch what happens, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That's so cool! The show is great, and what a fab pic of the cast, including Canadian sweetheart and Ally, Jake Epstein.

rock ON, Ms. King!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 5, 2014 11:42:51 AM

2. That brought tears to my eyes. I wish there were an unedited version.

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 5, 2014 11:50:48 AM

3. She's always been a class act. "Tapestry" was a phenomena, and later Rolling Stone wrote a particularly nasty review of one of her albums and she just wrote a letter to the editor that stated "It was unnecessarily hurtful." The next issue was flooded with "Bravo, Carole!"

Posted by: MIke | Apr 5, 2014 12:21:51 PM

4. She still has a great voice. Loved that!

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 5, 2014 12:31:32 PM

5. she's such a doll. a great person.

Posted by: woody | Apr 5, 2014 1:09:42 PM

6. That's so wonderful! Still lovely voice. I love the song!

Posted by: Matt27 | Apr 5, 2014 1:21:50 PM

7. What the hell, the band and the singers were totally out of sync. I couldn't listen.

Posted by: Merv | Apr 5, 2014 1:26:13 PM

8. And on top of it all she helped raise $30,000 for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS that night.

A class act all around.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 5, 2014 1:59:58 PM

9. A class act and a wonderful spirit.

Posted by: Ted | Apr 5, 2014 2:14:22 PM

10. Why is it that whenever anything lovely happens to Jessie Mueller, I want to cry with happiness? I never ever met her, but I love her.

Posted by: DrunkEnough | Apr 5, 2014 2:18:59 PM

11. ....and now, I'm gonna have an even better day, after watching this.

Posted by: Carlos | Apr 5, 2014 4:49:04 PM

12. Carol who?

Posted by: Jack | Apr 5, 2014 4:54:18 PM

13. As others have said, A class act: unpretentious and real.

@Jack: Seriously?

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 5, 2014 5:05:32 PM

14. Jack, there are roughly 5 women from 1960-1980 that you need to know, from whence most pop music sung by women flows. They are: Joan Baez, Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, and Carole King. (You could also throw Linda Ronstadt in there, along with Janis Joplin, Bette Midler and Joni Mitchell, and I wouldn't complain.) Then the 80's came and brought us Debbie Harry (well, late 70's, but never mind), Annie Lennox, Cyndi Lauper and Madonna, then new soul divas Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey (early 90's). Oh, and lurking around never far from the surface but only recently gotten her long-overdue respect: Cher. Everyone else builds or spins off of the originals.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 5, 2014 5:37:25 PM

15. I guess it's ok to make it all about you when the show actually IS all about you.

Posted by: Chadd | Apr 5, 2014 5:52:07 PM

16. "It's Too Late" is possibly my favorite song ever and I love Carol King's raspy and soulful voice on every song she wrote for Tapestry.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 6, 2014 12:35:47 AM

17. @DBACK

I'd expand your list, at the very least to add Carly Simon and Dolly Parton -- both amazing songwriters whose songs (and singing) inspired many many others.

As for Carole King, the woman is extraordinary in every way.

Posted by: sparks | Apr 6, 2014 7:02:03 AM

18. Carole is a national treasure. This was wonderful. Some much talent in such a sweet person.

Posted by: BrokebackBob | Apr 6, 2014 7:34:13 AM

19. Carole is a legend, and deservedly so!

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 7, 2014 8:33:41 AM

20. Oh yes, Sparks, I love me some Carly--but I'd say she's definitely in the King-Ronstadt-Mitchell tradition (though her smokey alto is in a class by itself). The only reason I didn't mention Dolly is because country has its own pantheon of goddesses (Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, etc.). And I also overlooked Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield and Tina Turner (though she really exploded in her 80's "comeback.") Straight men who think that 60's and 70's music was nothing but all-male bands really need to do some homework!

Posted by: Dback | Apr 7, 2014 9:55:56 AM