Hedwig and the Angry Inch | Neil Patrick Harris | New York | News | Theatre

Neil Patrick Harris Sat On My Face Last Night and I Loved It

Nph
NPH on Instagram: "Calm before the glitter storm. Sitting alone on a quiet stage before the @hedwigonbway opening tonight. What a ride it's been..."

Neil Patrick Harris turns in an incredibly funny, emotional, physical performance in an updated Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the Belasco Theatre. I was lucky enough to see the opening last night and suggest you get your tickets now.

The Hollywood Reporter notes in its review that Harris is "beyond fabulous, holds nothing back and plays it any way but safe." I'd have to agree.

Writes Ben Brantley in a NYT rave:

Mr. Harris has much more than marquee and recognition value. He also has a master entertainer’s gift for making the rough go down smoothly. And what might be distasteful from other mouths — including raunchy double entendres that deserve (and receive) rimshots — sounds delicious coming from his. From the moment his Hedwig makes her David Bowie-esque entrance, we’re his to do what he will.

That includes a certain amount of manhandling, if I may use so sexist a verb. In song and guttural speech, Hedwig is an aggressive narrator. (Note to front-row audience members: Don’t wear anything expensive.)

Brantley is right, I can say from experience. At a certain point in the show I was shocked as Hedwig climbed down from the stage, mounted the arms of my chair, straddled my face, and pulled my head in for a prolonged and passionate 'angry inch' faux-job to the squeals and delight of the audience. And of course I loved every minute of it.

Comments

1. More Aaron Schock photos, please! BARF.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Apr 23, 2014 1:40:18 PM

2. Love NPH...but boy he's not aging well. Stress??

Posted by: Kenny | Apr 23, 2014 1:49:40 PM

3. NPH breathed...and we report it. Thanks!

Posted by: zeddy | Apr 23, 2014 1:53:58 PM

4. Kenny - he lost 20 lbs to play Hedwig. Wanted to look more feminine, he says... dont worry. He's ok.

Posted by: jim | Apr 23, 2014 1:54:24 PM

5. Kenny - he lost 20 lbs to play Hedwig. Wanted to look more feminine, he says... dont worry. He's ok.

Posted by: jim | Apr 23, 2014 1:54:25 PM

6. Wish I had been the recipient of the lap dance. I love NPH.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 23, 2014 1:56:22 PM

7. Gay Not Aging Well = Everyone Else's Aging

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Apr 23, 2014 2:00:59 PM

8. Go home and take care of your children before they are old enough to write their own "Daddy Dearest" volumes. This guys a bad smell.

Posted by: Arrow | Apr 23, 2014 2:01:44 PM

9. @arrow: that's why they have two daddies!

Posted by: Hudson | Apr 23, 2014 2:06:14 PM

10. @hudson I suspect his husband is probably a good mother. Is that Hudson for Rock or prep school pretension?

Posted by: Arrow | Apr 23, 2014 2:14:59 PM

11. @hudson I suspect his husband is probably a good mother. Is that Hudson for Rock or prep school pretension?

Posted by: Arrow | Apr 23, 2014 2:15:27 PM

12. you trolls are awful. NPH is a rock star and his Hedwig is truly amazing. he had the entire audience in the palm of his hand (and andy's face in his crotch!). why attack such a beautifully intimate photo that he shared at a very exciting moment in his life. he deserves nothing but raves!

Posted by: trolls-be-gone | Apr 23, 2014 2:16:22 PM

13. you trolls are awful. NPH is a rock star and his Hedwig is truly amazing. he had the entire audience in the palm of his hand (and andy's face in his crotch!). why attack such a beautifully intimate photo that he shared at a very exciting moment in his life. he deserves nothing but raves!

Posted by: trolls-be-gone | Apr 23, 2014 2:16:31 PM

14. @hudson I suspect his husband is probably a good mother. Is that Hudson for Rock or prep school pretension?

Posted by: Arrow | Apr 23, 2014 2:17:36 PM

15. ARROW, I'm not a fan of NPH but what crawled up your ass and won't leave?? Jeez.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 23, 2014 2:43:30 PM

16. @hudson Should never use ass in an insult. Who's side are you on?

Posted by: Arrow | Apr 23, 2014 3:00:29 PM

17. This thread is another example of why I wish Andy would remove the commenting on Towleroad. My life would be infinitely better without seeing what most of you have to say.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 23, 2014 3:02:09 PM

18. This thread is another example of why I wish Andy would remove the commenting on Towleroad. My life would be infinitely better without seeing what most of you have to say.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 23, 2014 3:02:14 PM

19. And to think he is doing it eight shows per week and no understudy. I want whatever he is living on.

Posted by: mikeflower | Apr 23, 2014 3:05:57 PM

20. Sorry life can't be the warm bath you anticipated. Don't read it then. Get outside and play some ball. It will do you good.

Posted by: GEB | Apr 23, 2014 3:09:12 PM

21. I think he looks like crap now. Maybe it is time to start spend some time with his family, the kids is growing up fast and he is missing out.Family is what matters, but he always seem to put his careeras as his first priority. He should grow up.
    That said, he is a very good performer

Posted by: nn | Apr 23, 2014 3:26:59 PM

22. Jesus Christ. The people on here talking about how he looks terrible and needs to be home with his children...who the hell are you? Why does the internet have to be such a vicious place with regards to looks? And how do you even presume to judge someone for their parenting on the basis of them....having a job? Is that seriously what you're using as your criteria? He looks tired and he has a job, so he must be a terrible father? There are some truly hateful people in these comments. Look within, folks. Look within.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 23, 2014 4:29:53 PM

23. So excited about seeing this. I have tickets for June 21st!

Posted by: Mawm | Apr 23, 2014 4:46:44 PM

24. Haters got to hate. I guess.

Posted by: Mawm | Apr 23, 2014 4:48:30 PM

25. God I hate Michelle Visage.

Posted by: Merle Ginsberg | Apr 23, 2014 4:56:52 PM