News | Portland | Television

Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme Plays a 'Disappointing Gay' on 'Portlandia': VIDEO

Portlandia

Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme guest stars on Portlandia. Carrie's brother stops by to introduce his boyfriend and Fred and Carrie are disappointed to learn that they don't live up to stereotypes.

IFC adds:

He doesn’t dabble in home decorating, he doesn’t give unsolicited fashion advice, and he and his boyfriend are total slobs. In fact, they like to do Jagerbombs for breakfast instead of drinking heart-healthy kale smoothies.

Check out a clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: Tyler Coates thinks the clip seems very familiar...

Comments

1. This is a lot like my real life. :|

Posted by: Martin | Apr 16, 2014 1:20:18 PM

2. :\

meh. when a "gay role" like this is played by a straight man, it only feeds the delusions of some gay men who think "they're indistinguishable from a straight man" - No, Blanche. You just dress badly and are boring. But hey, I understand that many gay men struggle with being associated with "gay stereotypes" - if you're not quick, witty, clever, cultured, artistic, creative or interesting with a vivacious personality you might well feel "underrepresented"

So, enter this straight guy, playing gay (sorta?), to show that some gay men do embody the worst straight male stereotypes as well. Embrace it? Go ahead.

It's still a stereotype - just one couched in dullness, not fabulousness :)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 16, 2014 1:24:04 PM

3. Portland is a wasteland of bad tattoos, hair and Subaru's. It's a graveyard for Goths. What did you expect?

Posted by: Gary | Apr 16, 2014 1:24:59 PM

4. I care less what you all think. I love Josh Homme even more now that he did this. And I always did love Portlandia when it first came out. And this clip was hysterical. Carrie Brownstein is awesome as always. I do hope there will be a Sleater-Kinney reunion in future but no rush.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Apr 16, 2014 1:30:41 PM

5. "it only feeds the delusions of some gay men who think "they're indistinguishable from a straight man"

funny, I think that about most trans stories and their attempts as passing

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 16, 2014 1:31:08 PM

6. If a built straight guy likes Lady Gaga that's enough for me.

Posted by: Gary | Apr 16, 2014 1:32:11 PM

7. Oh KIWI just shut up.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 16, 2014 1:34:03 PM

8. I can't get over him calling a kid a faggot and threatening to rape him:

Posted by: Mike | Apr 16, 2014 1:37:48 PM

9. Oh, and you can easily find the video on YouTube where he calls the kid a faggot.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 16, 2014 1:38:27 PM

10. Wow. So original: a gay couple is not stereotypically gay so the straight people are shocked and their expectations destroyed. It's only like the 50 millionth time I've seen this scenario play out on TV.

Posted by: Joseph | Apr 16, 2014 1:40:19 PM

11. Dear KIWI the world doesn't revolve around your primitive notions.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 16, 2014 1:53:20 PM

12. alas "JAY" , and your various alias, it does seem as though your daily life revolves around trying to get my attention. it ends here. for me. not you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 16, 2014 2:17:07 PM

13. @ Mike If you were sick as a dog with a fever but can't stop the tour due to obligations. Plus, playing in front of thousands of fans every night, city to city, and having some of those same fans start throwing things at you like shoes, coins, darts, glass bottles, whatever while you play for their entertainment... Hmmm, I honestly wonder how I would react too if someone did that to me while I was going through all that? In fact, I may go so far as to spout off stupid things without thinking due to the heat of the moment. I had coworkers throw crap at me at work long ago. Let's just say...it wasn't good. And we all get along now. And they respect even more.

Welcome to the real world.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Apr 16, 2014 2:21:49 PM

14. Still waiting for a more authentic depiction of the non-stereotypical gay man dynamic.

As opposed to some weak half-a.$.$.ed comedy sketchlet.

Posted by: Disappointed Gay | Apr 16, 2014 3:48:13 PM

15. See also: Brian and Steve on The Sarah Silverman Program, back in 2007.

Posted by: jimstoic | Apr 16, 2014 3:50:21 PM

16. Hmm. Same trope as "Gay" from AbFab season 4.5. Is this a new spin?

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 16, 2014 4:01:11 PM

17. Little ~Kiwi, I never join in with the comments about you and your very nonobjective view of gay life....but really? Why are you so obsessed with ALL gay people being the same? Camp and into mean women??

You remind me of those black people I meet who think I'm fake because I don't have a colloquial accent....

I mean, I don't even know where to start.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 16, 2014 4:26:50 PM

18. This looks amusing

Posted by: jarago | Apr 16, 2014 5:42:36 PM

19. Sarah Silverman's show did this better, and made the characters central characters throughout the run of her show. In fact, I don't remember Silverman's show making a big deal about how they didn't act stereotypically "gay"-- they were gay, they were complete slobs, they defied every stereotype but that wasn't something that was brought up much; they just were who they were and then were part of the regular storylines. Its oddly one of the most progressive presentations I've seen on tv.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Apr 16, 2014 6:20:03 PM

20. Oh, and then there's ABC's "Happy Endings"-- same thing really-- main character Max was gay and a total slob (though there they did sometimes address the fact he didn't fit the stereotypes).

Long story short, Portlandia's usually a bit more creative than this. When they're on, they're on, though-- I don't think I've laughed harder at much than Portlandia's "Lewis and Clark" skit a season or two ago.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Apr 16, 2014 6:23:10 PM

21. Not to mention it is just Nick Swardson doing Adam Pally's Max from Happy Endings.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Apr 16, 2014 6:28:50 PM

22. Hey Rowan! You can start by dropping the strawman arguments :)

I've never once stated, nor do I even remotely believe, that all gay men are the same and that all gay men are camp and into, uh, "mean women". *pssst, i have no idea what Mean Women means*

So I'm not sure how to reply to the strawman argument you've made as you're attributing to me something I've never said nor do I believe.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 16, 2014 6:38:18 PM

23. Again, KIWI, just shut up.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 16, 2014 10:27:54 PM

24. Kiwi, I like u man, but...

"when a "gay role" like this is played by a straight man, it only feeds the delusions of some gay men who think "they're indistinguishable from a straight man.""

Here's the thing, Kiwi, I really think it's farrow likely that it's a mean, false fiction that gay/bisexual men are that different from straight men. We grew up the same way and are all just guys. Get over it, it's ok Kiwi!!

And Kiwi, I know you carry a cross for effeminate gay men, but buddy, you're carrying the cross incorrectly and for the incorrectly circled group of men. You need to carry your it's-ok-to-be-effeminate card for hordes of extremely effeminate STRAIGHT men too, Kiwi. Ok?! If you start doing that, you'll get on my nerves less.

Also, Kiwi, it's wrong of you to push effeminacy on all gay men. Why? What are you hoping to gain? It's not going to work. Not is it going to help you, Kiwi.

kiwi, be YOU. But please don't demand that we are ALL exactly like you might see yourself.

Peace out Ki.