Dustin Lance Black | I'm Gay | News | Tom Daley

Tom Daley: 'I am a Gay Man Now'

2_swash_daley

Yesterday we posted some photos of Tom Daley's appearance (with actor and host Joe Swash, above) on the ITV show Celebrity Juice, which was broadcast in the UK last night.

Daley disclosed on the show that although he said he 'still fancied girls' (in the YouTube video last December), "I am a gay man now."

Daley also spoke about making the YouTube clip: "I came out on YouTube as I wanted to say what I wanted to say without anyone twisting it. I told my family before I told the world. I was terrified. I did not know what the reaction was going to be. I did it on YouTube because people were constantly digging and asking questions."

As for his relationship with Dustin Lance Black, it's "all good"

Comments

1. Tom YOU are a FABULOUS GAY MAN
    I am so proud that you have the courage of your convictions.
    I am a straight woman who fights for injustice in all its forms... Equality is not a privilege it is a RIGHT!
    It breaks my heart to know that some people are so afraid to live their lives as it was intended.
    BRAVO Tom Daily - Cheering for you in Every Way!!! xox

Posted by: Jocelyne | Apr 3, 2014 8:05:37 AM

2. Will someone tell this British fool to shut up? His choice in men is disastrous. I fear for his well-being.

Posted by: sam | Apr 3, 2014 8:17:07 AM

3. Good for him, I am happy that he took time to figure things out on his own terms and feels comfortable sharing with us.

Posted by: Cory | Apr 3, 2014 8:17:15 AM

4. "I'm a gay man now Mummy."

Posted by: Pyre | Apr 3, 2014 8:22:54 AM

5. Cory,

What makes you think Tom is telling the truth now?

Posted by: sam | Apr 3, 2014 8:35:30 AM

6. He's been pretty consistent about talking about his journey about figuring out who he is. When he came out as being in a relationship, he never specified what he considers himself but that he was in a relationship with a man. Plus I have ZERO reason for thinking he'd be lying or was lying before.

Most importnatly, what makes you think he's lying?

Posted by: Cory | Apr 3, 2014 8:42:21 AM

7. Pyre, I thought of that too. My favorite Catherine Tate sketch.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 3, 2014 8:43:17 AM

8. Haha. It was just a hunch, but I called it and was accused of bisexual erasure. He just pinged gay to me *shrug*. I guess bisexuals are gonna be mad now over this.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 3, 2014 8:44:42 AM

9. Another "bi now, gay later". This is sadly why most don't take bisexuals seriously.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 3, 2014 9:08:45 AM

10. "Now."

Posted by: Tigernan | Apr 3, 2014 9:10:03 AM

11. @Steve
    I couldn't have said it better. He probably was testing waters to minimize the backlash.

Posted by: Tony | Apr 3, 2014 9:14:38 AM

12. Steve is right. It's the "bi now, gay later" guys that give the real bi men a bad name.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 3, 2014 9:15:09 AM

13. What a shocker. But I think he meant to say, or at least I hope, that he's always been gay rather than "now" as if it was a conscious decision. But good for him though. He's only 19 and that was when I began my coming out process.

And Cory, you can just ignore Sam, one of the resident trolls on this site. His comments have a pattern of hateful bile that you learn eventually to skip over.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Apr 3, 2014 9:15:41 AM

14. Once he is no longer young...no one will longer care.....

Posted by: styler | Apr 3, 2014 9:17:40 AM

15. lol Styler

I'm 22 and my boyfriend is 44. Older guys are hawt imo. Seriously. Men get better with age.

Posted by: Killian | Apr 3, 2014 9:19:43 AM

16. He is both brave and sweet and I am delighted that he is one of us....and speaking out and neither made feel shame for years on end nor the slightest embarrassment.
    And I hope that Dustin Lance Black is a mentor and helping Tom make it in the world of entertainment and film.
    Yeah, he needed to test the water.....he is a swimmer....the temp. was just fine.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 3, 2014 9:21:09 AM

17. Lovely guy and it wasn't difficult to guess this bi now, gay later, would happen.

Posted by: Matt27 | Apr 3, 2014 9:25:36 AM

18. We talk about the problem of gays being bullied at school. What about the problem of gays being bullied at gay websites? Bitter, bitchy queens, there is so much more to life than being angry all the time.

Congratulations brother Tom for making us proud.

Posted by: Kieran | Apr 3, 2014 9:32:42 AM

19. Sweet kid.

He has terrible taste in men though.

DLB has an appalling reputation when it comes to his treatment of his teenage boyfriends.

Hopefully as Tom is successful in his own right he will be able to deal with this better than the other teenagers DLB has exploited.

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 3, 2014 9:36:00 AM

20. This is shocking.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 3, 2014 9:37:25 AM

21. The "bi now, gay later" complaint(?) ignores the fact that it takes time to recognize and lay claim to our own sexual feelings. Some people forget the struggle they had with this part of their development. I feel quite confident that Mr. Daley was as honest as he felt it possible to be at each step of his self discovery. While I think it unlikely, it's still possible he may finally discover a different orientation more natural to his inclinations.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Apr 3, 2014 10:02:59 AM

22. As usual, the worst, bitchiest comments are on gay sites.

He's a hypocrite, his boyfriend's scum, his body will age and wither, he's not allowed to think he's bisexual for a while, bisexuals are scum and hypocrites, blah blah blah.

God, no wonder people call YOU names.

Posted by: Chaz | Apr 3, 2014 10:22:59 AM

23. I am one of those people who judge books by covers and go by gut feelings. I, too, never got that bisexual vibe from Tom. I'm glad he can be honest. One must remember that Tom is a commodity as well as a person who probably has all kinds of managers and minders of his public image. I'm sure he was advised by his manager to say that he was bisexual when he came out so as not to offend the thousands of young girls who bought his calendar and other paraphenalia. Now for a bit of scandalous rumination - I predict that Tom will eventually break up with DLB and will then invite Dan Osborne over for a chill evening of watching movies and take out food and things will proceed from there...

Posted by: Peter | Apr 3, 2014 10:29:12 AM

24. Made the mistake of thinking about Tom Daley and DLB (as in, the two of them...together) the other day while in the pool...glad I was wearing somewhat loose shorts.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 3, 2014 10:31:47 AM

25. Can you people please invest more time in yourselves and consider why you're so hateful to someone you don't even know? TOM LOOKS HAPPY AND WE SHOULD BE HAPPY FOR HIM. Period.

Posted by: reality | Apr 3, 2014 10:37:08 AM