News | Sports | Swimming | Virginia

UVA Swimmers Embrace Their Gay Teammates: PHOTO

Uva

A new Tumblr created by University of Virginia students asking for photographs illustrating "diversity" produced this wonderful photo from the UVA swim team.

Writes Outsports:

Students at the University of Virginia wanted to show that it is more than a buzzword and to make the campus more inclusive. Along those lines, three students created an awesome Tumblr, "We Are All UVa," where students took photos holding placards talking about their experiences, good or bad.

Among them was Parker Camp, a varsity swimmer who told his coming out story on Outsports last month. He got four teammates to come up with this terrific photo.

Here's another from the site:

Hesthecutest

Comments

1. This is a much better Virginia than Jerry Falwell's Virginia.

Thanks, guys.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 8, 2014 1:13:16 PM

2. Cute but I loathe the dishonest "Who cares if you're gay?!" meme. EVERYONE cares.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Apr 8, 2014 1:15:54 PM

3. Cool campaign. That first photo also gives us all the chance to test our gaydars - the gay ones are the sign holder and the one above him to the right, no?

Posted by: Sergio | Apr 8, 2014 1:20:15 PM

4. I got the same gaydar results as Sergio. Any dissenters?

Posted by: Jay | Apr 8, 2014 1:24:56 PM

5. Two of the UVa swimmers are happy and a little humbled their teammates would do this for them. The other three are smiling because they are supposed to.

Posted by: Rodney | Apr 8, 2014 1:27:10 PM

6. My gaydar agrees with Jay's and Sergio's. The one holding the sign also resembles an actor, but I can't place who...

Posted by: Håkon | Apr 8, 2014 1:38:41 PM

7. That's an undeniably sweet photo.

Posted by: Robert | Apr 8, 2014 1:39:38 PM

8. My gaydar says it's the one on our far left (plus the sign holder).

Posted by: ChicagoR | Apr 8, 2014 1:44:39 PM

9. The gay guys are on the far left (Parker Young being among them, based on the photo in the OUTsports article last month) and the second one from the left that is standing.

Posted by: Rodney | Apr 8, 2014 1:46:37 PM

10. excuse me, second one from the right that is standing.

Posted by: Rodney | Apr 8, 2014 1:47:09 PM

11. Brilliant.

Posted by: Matt27 | Apr 8, 2014 1:50:13 PM

12. I did not think that the sign holder was gay. But he is. He is the one who came out to OutSports. The second one, however, is either the one on the far right or the far left.

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 8, 2014 1:52:39 PM

13. Um, that biracial couple is HOT! I hope they can get married in Virginia some day

Posted by: RONTEX | Apr 8, 2014 1:53:05 PM

14. My gaydar is preeeetty good, and I think the guy on the far left is the surest bet.

Of course, they're saying "hey, some of us are gay, some aren't" and we're all "WHO IS ITTTTTT." Oh well.

Posted by: Robert | Apr 8, 2014 1:59:39 PM

15. Wow, Rick stole my name to post a harmless comment....for once.

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 8, 2014 2:01:13 PM

16. So are there three gay guys? If we name them - from our left to our right - A, B, C, D, and E, then A, C, and D are the gay ones?

Posted by: Håkon | Apr 8, 2014 2:07:39 PM

17. Now I'm confused, since Rodney says the gay ones are A and D, but Tyler says he knows they are C and D.

Gayest logic puzzle ever?

Posted by: Sergio | Apr 8, 2014 2:10:08 PM

18. LOL @ "Wow, Rick stole my name to post a harmless comment....for once."

LOL. Hey, TYLER, that's because he forgot who the f.ck he is. LOL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 8, 2014 2:16:12 PM

19. My gaydar sucks, but I went to UVA, which must count for something.

As for who is gay, it's middle guy (C) and at first I thought left guy. Then right guy. So who knows. I was there 20 years ago and caused a world of turmoil about the gay stuff. It led to brawls and screaming (neither by me) and a lot of ugliness. Funny to think back on that.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 8, 2014 2:17:38 PM

20. Oh, and I dated a black guy while I was there, and it really didn't go over well.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 8, 2014 2:18:57 PM

21. First one on the left, second one from the right (standing).

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 8, 2014 2:42:01 PM

22. I guessed A and D before reading any comments. It sounds like Rodney confirmed one, maybe both.

The library pic is very hot.

Posted by: Merv | Apr 8, 2014 2:56:07 PM

23. My Gaydar says A & D.
    But this is a really great pic with a great message.
    Thanks Virginia guys.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 8, 2014 3:17:02 PM

24. My money's on the same two as those RODNEY picked.

Posted by: Marc C | Apr 8, 2014 3:22:02 PM

25. Far left and second from right. Surprised so few people are picking the second from the right. Even if you told me all of the guys were straight I'd be saying he was secretly gay. Ah, stereotypes... Of course, you never know. It could be the direct opposite. But I highly doubt one of the gay ones would be holding the sign that denotes acceptance.

Posted by: macguffin54 | Apr 8, 2014 3:28:19 PM