There's A Gay Character In 'How To Train Your Dragon'

Looks like there'll be a coming out moment in How To Train Your Dragon 2. According to the film's director, Gobber the Belch, voiced by Craig Ferguson, will reveal that he's gay in the upcoming sequel.

Gobber_the_BelchE! News reports:

While watching a husband and wife bicker, Gobber says that's why he never got married—and then he simply adds there's one other reason. He doesn't explain anything further, but Dragon 2's openly gay writer and director, Dean DeBlois, confirms Gobber was talking about being a same-sex-loving Viking.

"When we were recording Craig Ferguson, I had written the line, 'This is why I never got married," and he, as he often does, added it as an ad lib and he said, 'Yup, Gobber is coming out of the closet,'" DeBlois told me earlier today at the Cannes Film Festival while promoting the film at the Carlton Hotel. "I think that's a really fun [and] daring move to put in. I love the idea that Gobber is Berk's resident gay."

DeBlois elaborated on the improvised moment between himself and Ferguson during production:

“And we all started chuckling and said that’s right, Gobber’s coming out in this movie,” DuBois laughed. “I just love that about Craig. He’s always got just a little extra something for you. I think it’s nice. It’s progressive, it’s honest, and it feels good, so we wanted to keep it.”

Watch a 2010 interview with Craig Ferguson about the first How To Train Your Dragon film, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. If it's so incredibly vague that you have to go to the film's director to decipher if it possibly could be a coming out, it's not a coming out.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 18, 2014 5:23:20 PM

2. I love representation that's so vague and subtle it probably wouldn't be noticed at all. Yep that's the kind of visibility we need. >_>

Posted by: Derrick | May 18, 2014 5:47:00 PM

3. Hollywood pretends to be so liberal, but I can't remember the last time I saw a gay character in an American-made movie - they seem to be all so frightened of the gays!. The black community is well-represented in movies today, but the other minorities, certainly including the LGBT community, are nary to be seen. What a disappointment, and what a poor track record for 'liberal, accepting' Hollywood!

Posted by: David From Canada | May 18, 2014 6:44:08 PM

4. Resident gay? Sounds like pet, not progressive as the director claims. Yet another gay character without a love life. Now if they had Gobber and another Viking casually hold hands or have their arms around each other, that would be a little progressive. Really progressive would be if they decided to make a central character openly gay with a partner. The Vikings were pagan after all, so they wouldn't have had any Christian prohibitions against queer sex

Posted by: Jay | May 18, 2014 7:02:06 PM

5. Wow, an offhand remark that needed explanation from the director to decipher! What great representation! I hope the production team don't hurt themselves patting each other on the back for how liberal and open-minded they are.

Posted by: Jmac | May 18, 2014 7:55:11 PM

6. Wasn't there already a sequel?

Posted by: anon | May 19, 2014 12:09:40 AM

7. What a joke. Does this director have no balls? Someone send him a Paranorman BluRay to watch so he can see some animation that is genuinely "daring" and "progressive".

Posted by: JMC | May 19, 2014 7:42:41 AM

8. "Hollywood pretends to be so liberal, but I can't remember the last time I saw a gay character in an American-made movie"

Clearly you don't get Netflix in your mother's trailer. In the last 12 months alone...

Love Is Strange
    The Bling Ring
    Dallas Buyer's Club
    GBF
    Geography Club
    Kill Your Darlings
    Date and Switch
    ParaNorman
    Behind the Candleabra

Posted by: crispy | May 19, 2014 9:23:58 AM

9. I saw the preview for HtTYD2 and I don't remember anything indicating anybody was gay.

If it's that subtle, it won't play. Kinda like Dumbledore.

Posted by: Rrhain | May 20, 2014 7:03:18 PM