Baltimore | News | weather

Earth Swallows Entire Block in Baltimore in Terrifying Gulp: VIDEO

Baltimore

The heavy rains on the east coast yesterday may have been what caused the earth to loosen in the Baltimore neighborhood of Charles Village yesterday, creating a sinkhole/landslide that sent more than a dozen vehicles tumbling down a steep embankment.

Now there is incredible video taken as the earth gave way.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

If you enjoyed this post, please consider SHARING it on social media.

Also, please LIKE us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, and Instagram.

Comments

1. Wow! Amazing, truly amazing. Not to kvetch, but that's not a block. A block is a four streets forming a rectangle AND all the area contained in the rectangle. This is one side of a block-long portion of a street. And if I'm not mistaken, it's an embankment held back by a retaining wall that fell over due to the wet weather. Not quite the 'earth opening up' but a wall giving way leading to a small landslide.

But DRAMA! That I'll give you!

Posted by: MarkfromNYC | May 1, 2014 8:08:14 PM

2. Wow. But no, there couldn't be any climate disruption. (Writing from 83-degree Seattle when it's usually 50.)

Posted by: DavidR | May 1, 2014 8:10:21 PM

3. OMG! That was like some CGI shiz!

Posted by: Josher | May 1, 2014 8:12:57 PM

4. OMG!!!!!

Posted by: Marc | May 1, 2014 8:19:09 PM

5. I played this way too loud and my Mom thought someone was screaming 1/4 block away. Golly, that chick can scream.

Posted by: parkrunner | May 1, 2014 8:20:52 PM

6. I'm from Baltimore - that's my old stomping ground… lol

Posted by: Tre | May 1, 2014 8:22:06 PM

7. TRE - I got my Master's Degree from Johns Hopkins. This sort of looks like the area near it. Is it?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 1, 2014 8:46:41 PM

8. Gay marriage ... Earth opening up ... hmmmmm.....

Posted by: TKinSC | May 1, 2014 11:14:00 PM

9. Welcome to the real Baltimore City. Now lets watch as they try to blame and bill the residents.

Posted by: | May 1, 2014 11:16:07 PM

10. What a useless, lazy cop. He walks by and doesn't tell anyone to move back to safer ground.

Posted by: Icebloo | May 2, 2014 12:20:27 AM

11. @MarkfromNYC: block can have more than one meaning, so yes you're being obtuse. No one would ever say, "It's that block of Main Street with all the tattoo parlors and beat-up hookers," and expect anyone to interpret it as anything other than one part of Main street between two intersections. Similarly, no one would ever say or hear, "I had to walk three blocks to get there," as meaning, "I walked three rectangular areas spanning 12 different streets before I arrived at my destination."

If you disagree, how would you describe the distance between intersection A and the next intersection, B, on Main Street? A quarter-block? I would hope not.

Also, not all (technical) blocks form rectangles, if you want to be extreme about it. Very precise planners have often created perfect squares.

Posted by: Paul R | May 2, 2014 4:43:35 AM

12. I lived on that street about ten years ago, and believe me, it looks more shocking if you see it in person. It's a long way down to the bottom. The people who live across the street may not be able to return for a month. The city will pay for repairs and, of course, hand the expense over to taxpayers. And yes, it is near JHU.

Posted by: Jack M | May 2, 2014 7:51:12 AM

13. @MIKE IN THE TUNDRA - yes ! It's a few blocks south from Hopkins but yeah - right in the neighborhood.

Posted by: Tre | May 2, 2014 11:21:33 AM

14. Where's Pat Robertson!!! CLEARLY this is a message from God because America allows gay pride parades!!!! OMG! Ooga Booga! Turn from your sinful ways!!

Posted by: Jere | May 2, 2014 11:52:41 AM

15. @Markfromnyc, people like you are so annoying. "Technically it's not a block!!!" Always find something to critique.

Posted by: Lucas | May 2, 2014 12:35:18 PM