Andy Cohen | Harry Hamlin | News | Playing Gay

Harry Hamlin Says His Film Career Ended After Playing Gay in 1981's 'Making Love' - VIDEO

Rinna_hamlin

Mad Men actor Harry Hamlin tells Andy Cohen that after the early '80s film Making Love, in which he played a gay man in an affair with a married man (Michael Ontkean), he never worked in film again.

Says Hamlin:

"It was way before its time...It was something that I would repeat. I would do it again today, even though there was a ruffle in my career after that, for sure....What it did is it created a transition for me between feature film to television...(I didn't work in feature films) ever again. That was the last feature I did..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here are Hamlin and Ontkean and Kate Jackson from Making Love:

Making Love

Comments

1. He was amazing on Veronica Mars, and he's excellent on Mad Men.

Posted by: Mikey | May 30, 2014 12:21:52 PM

2. I saw it in one of those huge Cineplex theatres in Johannesburg, SA, back in 1982 when it was first released. You could have heard a pin drop throughout the movie, but only very few walked out.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | May 30, 2014 12:24:01 PM

3. That movie gave me such a boner when I first saw it.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | May 30, 2014 12:30:21 PM

4. Harry is also wonderful on Shameless.

Posted by: Nick | May 30, 2014 12:32:51 PM

5. ...and then went on to be named People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive in 1987.

Posted by: Marvin | May 30, 2014 12:33:27 PM

6. well, the original stage cast of The Boys in the Band were all dropped by their representatives for taking on the roles. as creaky as some modern day auds may find Making Love - it was a groundbreaker in its own way.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 30, 2014 12:35:27 PM

7. Harry Hamlin's nipples are huge, and of very high quality. He is a national treasure.

Posted by: Sergio | May 30, 2014 12:37:13 PM

8. Why do they have that department store mannequin propped in a chair next to him?

Posted by: crispy | May 30, 2014 12:41:09 PM

9. or maybe he was just a bad actor?

Posted by: tbd | May 30, 2014 12:45:01 PM

10. I'm really sure this movie I've never heard of is the reason this actor I've never heard of continues to be unable to get movie work...

Posted by: Mikey | May 30, 2014 12:50:25 PM

11. kind of like Kate Jackson saying she didn't work after Charlie's Angels. Interesting thing is why his child with Ursula Andress he refers to in this clip never worked. Dimitri, where are you? They are cute together though, HH and the lips.

Posted by: Cd in DC | May 30, 2014 12:55:09 PM

12. This film was really bold. I saw it when it came out in Miami. Reading comments here about the pre-AIDS gay world and film as "creaky" is laughable to me. The fact of the matter is that if you were not born, or too young, you missed that boat. What ever you want to believe, you will never understand that time. Work with your perceived acceptance today. Others will replace you.

Posted by: Gary Bebout | May 30, 2014 12:57:23 PM

13. Changing my screen name cuz I don't want to get confused with the idiotic new Mikey.

Posted by: Mikey M | May 30, 2014 1:06:50 PM

14. Actually, I always thought Michael Ontkean was much cuter. And whatever happened to his career?

Posted by: gr8guyca | May 30, 2014 1:08:28 PM

15. He was one the first actors, who had a strong appeal to me, when he was in LA Law. Handsome, hairy chest, what else could a teenager ask from a man?
    In the 80s taken a gay role was not an easy choice for an actor.
    HH has aged very well.

Posted by: Matt27 | May 30, 2014 1:12:56 PM

16. GR8GUYCA,
    Ontkean was in the series Twin Peaks as a sheriff. I don't think his career ever really took off either. He made some movies in the late 1970s to the early 80s. Maybe Making Love had an adverse effect on his career too.

Posted by: terry | May 30, 2014 1:14:15 PM

17. lord knows i didn't re-watch Clash of the Titans over and over again as a child for "Bubo"....

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 30, 2014 1:14:31 PM

18. I thought Lisa Rinna had gotten her lips de-puffed. They look as puffy as ever in that photo.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 30, 2014 1:19:19 PM

19. It was a pretty significant movie; not that it was great, but that it was a feature film dealing with homosexuality. I recall sneaking out to see it.

Posted by: Alan | May 30, 2014 1:20:03 PM

20. It was a pretty significant movie; not that it was great, but that it was a feature film dealing with homosexuality. I recall sneaking out to see it.

Posted by: Alan | May 30, 2014 1:20:04 PM

21. I failed to mention the 1960's as well. Another formidable time missed and misunderstood by today's generation. CNN is running a series on it now, "The Sixties" It led the way for gay rights to come.

Posted by: Gary Bebout | May 30, 2014 1:31:02 PM

22. Michael Ontkean was in Slapshot. A comedy about Hockey. In the end he skates around the arena in a jock strap. Very Hot, worth watching just for that. Harry Hamlin, also very hot in the Clash of the Titans.

Posted by: TB | May 30, 2014 1:36:08 PM

23. Dear Mikey,

Thirty years from now (which will pass far more quickly than can ever imagine) you will be standing beside a fresh batch of 21-year-olds who will never have heard of what you consider to be the defining pop culture event of your life.

Remember this. And top it off, I would like to let you know that not only will the 21-year-olds never have heard of the defining pop culture event or your life, here in the present day his/her parents have not yet met.

Best regards,
    Elsewhere

Posted by: Elsewhere1010 | May 30, 2014 1:38:17 PM

24. LOL @ "Why do they have that department store mannequin propped in a chair next to him?"

CRISPY, you're not supposed to make people my age laugh so hard. We may pee on ourselves.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 30, 2014 1:44:30 PM

25. YES YES -Harry Hamlin's nips in Clash Of The Titans and Michael Ontkean's butt in Slapshot-two of the defining moments in boner making American Cinema ....

Posted by: slippy | May 30, 2014 1:58:51 PM