Morrissey | Music | News | San Jose

Morrissey Ends Show After Hug-Hungry Fans Rush Stage, Tackle Him: VIDEO

Morrissey

Morrissey cut off a concert last night (it was the encore, anyway) at San Jose's City National Civic Center when fans became overzealous in their attempts to rush the stage and hug the former Smiths frontman.

Writes Stereogum:

It’s a bit tough to see, from the fan-made footage, what was going on, but he cut the show off mid-song and did not return. But the show itself was noteworthy for other reasons: Moz debuted new songs from his long-awaited forthcoming album World Peace Is None Of Your Business.

Watch three views of the melee, and the two new tracks, AFTER THE JUMP...

"World Peace is None of Your Business":

"The Bullfighter Dies":

Comments

1. I see I'm not the only one who finds him huggable

Posted by: chasmader | May 8, 2014 11:47:29 AM

2. Unless he was injured..He should have maned up and finished the concert...

Posted by: styler | May 8, 2014 11:55:33 AM

3. Saw him a few years ago, same thing happened. Half way through the show some guy rushed him on the stage. Security pulled them apart, Morrissey walked off stage. Show over.

Posted by: Geno | May 8, 2014 12:14:30 PM

4. I almost paid $300 to see this. Kinda glad I didn't.

Posted by: Doug | May 8, 2014 12:19:15 PM

5. This is not a new thing at his shows. he released a show in the 1990's on vhs and the concert ends the same way...

Posted by: James | May 8, 2014 12:30:34 PM

6. I honestly don't understand the draw.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 8, 2014 12:42:59 PM

7. I don't blame him - all that cray cray there - I would have left too - good on you Moz - saw your last Smiths concert in London 1986- love you!

Posted by: Dave | May 8, 2014 1:55:53 PM

8. People have been doing that to him throughout his career. I think at this point he's a bit too old to be taking that kind of enthusiastic body contact.

Posted by: Jack M | May 8, 2014 2:04:50 PM

9. Ugh why anyone keeps going to his concerts is beyond me...I was at the Coachella show and he was acting like a bitter queen so the Bf and I left and went to see someone else...someone who's there for the fans and not just for his rants.

Posted by: Bosie | May 8, 2014 2:17:12 PM

10. I was there - he handled the first 5 or 6 very graciously - and they were all very respectful - one even just shook his hand. When they started getting crazy during the encore (several people at a time) security couldn't keep up. I think we all knew then it was over. It may have been a liability issue at that point too. Stupid really - and typical - a bunch of drunk kids ruining the end of the show for the rest of us.

Posted by: Steve | May 8, 2014 2:47:27 PM

11. If they were young latino males, he would have stuck around. (Full disclosure, I've hung around Morrissey both in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. And I've watched him aggressively hit on my straight, latino friend who was being nice and courteous.)

Posted by: unruly | May 8, 2014 8:41:36 PM

12. I almost wonder if he stages this stuff. I stopped seeing him because it happened every time. If it's legitimate, then hell yes I'd leave the stage--who wants to be rushed by aggressive strangers? He gives warnings, yet security never seems able to control the onslaught. So he could hire twice as many security guards.

He used to rip up his shirts and throw them to the fans. It's part of his persona, but it's tired.

Posted by: Paul R | May 9, 2014 12:19:58 AM

13. I was there and in all fairness, what I saw was a bulky, aggressive security man pummeling the fans into Morrissey when he was knocked down by the force of the guard. Up until that point he was being very gracious and even giggling at the support and love. He always allows his fans to get up there if they can and continues to sing, despite. its expected. It was awesome, regardless, and the perfect song for the melee. I left thrilled and not disapponted at all. It was worth every penny.

Posted by: La Garza | May 9, 2014 2:05:50 AM

14. I guess this is common. Saw him sometime in the 90s in L.A. and he cut the show after 2 only songs. Everyone was pissed!

Posted by: bitter | May 12, 2014 5:40:02 PM