News | Pat Robertson

Pat Robertson: Love Your Gay Daughter by Rejecting Her — VIDEO

Robertson

A viewer wrote in to Pat Robertson asking how she should respond to her daughter who recently came out of the closet, Right Wing Watch reports.

Said Robertson:

“You want to be loving and warm and let them know that you love them, BUT you cannot accept it and you cannot be an enabler. If they’re living together as a homosexual and you’re a Christian you cannot say I accept this lifestyle. Right now there’s an incredible barrage of activity forcing people to accept the homosexual lifestyle. Well, do we accept adultery? Do we accept fornication? Do we accept immorality?  Well, the answer is no. I don’t think we ought to be accepting of it.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He's 84...I hope he doesn't live to see 85.

Posted by: Lu | May 15, 2014 12:48:34 PM

2. Or rather,"do we accept 'Christianity' that doesn't include 'Christ's teachings'
    "? No, absolutely not. BTW, old man, how did you get here without 'fornication'? Get some psychiatric care.

Posted by: woodroad34 | May 15, 2014 12:50:13 PM

3. Since he has such a high moral standard, I bet he will have no family members at his side when that happens.

Posted by: simon | May 15, 2014 12:53:30 PM

4. Is he still hawking his magic pancake mix?

Posted by: homer | May 15, 2014 12:55:07 PM

5. Re: Do we accept immorality?
    Yes, you do. The Bible is immoral. Accepting its lies as the word of God or its tenets as the commandment of God makes you an immoral person.

L♥VE is the only commandment of God.

Posted by: 1♥ | May 15, 2014 12:56:55 PM

6. He is an idiot and hasn't evolved with time, but I won't wish him death. Wishing death on someone is saved for truly evil people (i.e. the Hitler, Stalin, Mao Bin Laden, etc... types)

Posted by: Perry | May 15, 2014 12:57:05 PM

7. Looking more and more like the hate-filled old troll under the bridge that he is.

Posted by: Rob | May 15, 2014 12:59:13 PM

8. That poor daughter. I hope she stays true to herself.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | May 15, 2014 1:00:04 PM

9. Just like the Benham twins.

Christian "love" is sado-masochism without the "safe word."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 15, 2014 1:00:07 PM

10. ironically - if you have anti-gay family members who refuse to work to understand you, refuse to attend a PFLAG meeting, and flat out won't make an effort to unlearn their chosen bigotries - the best thing to do is cut them out of your life.

Robertson, and bigoted parents like him, try to withhold love as a way to weaken their gay children. they expect us to come crawling back, tail between legs.

a great many of my friends have had to take the stand, and show their parents that they have a choice: anti-gay bigotry, or a relationship with their child. they cannot have both.

and anti-gay bigotry doesn't call to say I Love You on birthdays. anti-gay bigotry doesn't offer warm hugs and create memories around family holidays. only your child can do that.

it's not about "getting back into your parent's life" - it's about making clear to your family that you have no room in YOUR LIFE for people who can't afford you respect, understanding, love and support.

in many cases, even after years, the parents finally get it. they chose bigotry, and missed out on a relationship with their child.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 15, 2014 1:00:52 PM

11. this just goes to show you the mentality of the mother calling in - she's already Brain damaged....and now this fool...tells her to basically drive your kid to suicide, and self-destruction.

Posted by: disgusted merican | May 15, 2014 1:01:48 PM

12. I love Pat by rejecting the idea that he is a true human being with a heart.

If the idiots that watched him weren't sending him their hard-earned cash, he'd be yanked off that show and shoved into a nursing home so fast it wouldn't be funny.

Posted by: Jack M | May 15, 2014 1:02:15 PM

13. Oh please, Pat. No one is writing in saying, "My child is divorced. What am I suppose to do?"

Posted by: michael | May 15, 2014 1:02:53 PM

14. Basically his advice is to sit in judgement and play god.

So many christians do that. They are always going on about their moral judgement of other people. As if their god needed their input.

Or maybe they are just doing god a favor, you know, lightening His load of responsibility for having to sit in judgement and hand out punishment.

What clowns they all are.

Posted by: james street james | May 15, 2014 1:03:51 PM

15. @woodroad34 : FYI the term "fornication" refers to sex when both are single (or when for some reason it is not classified as adultery). If at least one is married, but not to the other, it is "adultery".

Curiously, in the Old Testament biblical version, the "death be upon them" stuff was for sex with a married woman, but not for a married man having sex with an unmarried woman. Being male had its privileges.

Posted by: Bill | May 15, 2014 1:06:51 PM

16. gee pat whatever happened to christ's teachings of love and not judging people. this man preaches nothing but intolerance , hate and bigotry . but his biggest sin his his greed

Posted by: walter | May 15, 2014 1:10:39 PM

17. @little kiwi who the hell attends PFLAG meetings anyway?

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 15, 2014 1:15:12 PM

18. Pat's brain has been dead for a couple of decades. His body hasn't figured that out yet.

Posted by: Jason MacBride | May 15, 2014 1:16:21 PM

19. To Little Kiwi:

Reminds me of a scene from Torch Song Trilogy... Harvey Fierstein's character, Arnold, has it out with his mother (expertly portrayed by Anne Bancroft):

Arnold: There's one more thing you better understand. I have taught myself to sew, cook, fix plumbing, build furniture - I can even pat myself on the back when necessary - all so I don't have to ask anyone for anything. There's nothing I need from anyone except for love and respect and anyone who can't give me those two things has no place in my life.

Posted by: theotherlee | May 15, 2014 1:29:56 PM

20. Pat has so much hate. I pity him.

Posted by: Matt27 | May 15, 2014 1:30:09 PM

21. @Homo Genius - apparently not your family. Shame, too. You'd perhaps not be so messed up if they'd made an effort to love you, or you'd done what other gay men and women had done and just accepted that you'd be better off without your s****y parents in your life.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 15, 2014 1:30:13 PM

22. I'm very sorry to see this but not surprised. My 23-year-old niece works for him in the production department and I think she may be a lesbian. We're not close and the religiosity of that branch of the family has kept us that way. At that age I was still mistaken that I could change being gay too. She may be too lost to dogma to ever accept her sexuality if my suspicions are correct, but this statement makes it very personal. It pains me to know that I can't be there for her if she's struggling among so many hateful people, but I don't know what she's going through and we have no contact. If she does ever come out I certainly will be there for her but until then I just have to let her find her way through her position as an agent of hate. I would never reject her for that but it intentionally creates barriers to keep real unconditional love out of the possibilities for her life.

Posted by: stranded | May 15, 2014 1:35:01 PM

23. Pat Robertson - the poster child of why we need to remove tax exempt status from religion.

Posted by: bkmn | May 15, 2014 1:39:23 PM

24. PAt Robertson and his ilk: CHARLATANS !!!

Posted by: Patrick | May 15, 2014 1:44:37 PM

25. why do I picture little kiwi wearing 80's sweaters and having a little rainbow sticker and hug symbol saying SAFE PLACE on the outside of his cubicle

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 15, 2014 1:45:04 PM