News | RuPaul | Transgender

RuPaul Says 'Tranny' Police are 'Fringe' People Looking 'to Strengthen Their Identity as Victims': VIDEO

Rupaul

In an interview with Marc Maron, RuPaul speaks out about the word "tranny" and takes on the argument around it, calling it a "lose lose" situation, the HuffPost reports.

When Maron suggests that the transsexual community is upset by the term, Ru replies:

No, it is not the transsexual community. These are fringe people who are looking for story lines to strengthen their identity as victims. That is what we’re dealing with. It’s not the trans community, because most people who are trans have been through hell and high water and they know -- they've looked behind the curtain at Oz and went, 'Oh, this is all a f**king joke. But, some people haven't... You know, if your idea of happiness has to do with someone else changing what they say, what they do, you are in for a f**king hard-ass road.

And that's just a start to a lengthy response.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. i do get a bit of happiness not being called faggot or fag in whatever way people choose to use it

Posted by: luke | May 23, 2014 10:26:21 AM

2. tranny & fag is false equivalency

if someone is being hateful they will call the transsexual "fag" not tranny

Posted by: Moz's | May 23, 2014 10:36:31 AM

3. Here's the thing... we don't get to decide for others how they should feel or what their motivations are. Once I'm told it's offensive, then I have to decide if I want to change my behavior or further offend. And who wants to be THAT person?

Ru Paul needs to soften his position because he will soon alienate many more than "fringe" people.

Posted by: pete n sfo | May 23, 2014 10:39:16 AM

4. Im glad for Ru to be the first to stand up against this PC nonsense and he is absolutely right. The trans community is a diverse group of men and women who are not all on a hair trigger waiting to be offended, but a vocal minority who seek power would make it seem so.

Posted by: JWL | May 23, 2014 10:39:22 AM

5. I dunno what it is like being called a tranny, but if it hurts then speak out.

Posted by: Patrick | May 23, 2014 10:40:18 AM

6. I'm surprised seeing so many "PC police" comments from gay people. Seriously? We get invited to the adult table and how quickly we use the same justifications used against us?

Posted by: Mikey | May 23, 2014 10:44:45 AM

7. Not a fan of the word police, I'm fine with the sensitivity police, but don't tell me what I can and can't say.

Posted by: Harris | May 23, 2014 10:46:59 AM

8. freedom of speech has it's limits

Posted by: luke | May 23, 2014 10:48:36 AM

9. Ru is absolutely correct.

This entire brouhaha was started by one vicious online activist: Parker Marie Molloy, a lesbian identified trans women.

This women is like Larry Kramer without the brain nor the credibility. She is a "Freelance writer" just raising hell to get more work for herself.

Ms. Molloy has also gone after Calpernia Addams and Andrea James.

Ms. Molloy is currently having an online war through twitter and facebook with Jayne County.

Posted by: Qj201 | May 23, 2014 10:51:43 AM

10. Every Tranny I know refers to themself as a Tranny.

Posted by: kookie | May 23, 2014 10:52:50 AM

11. I love Rupaul and his success, but HE'S WRONG. The Transsexual and Transgender communities decide what is proper language to define themselves. Both groups can't make people respect their wishes BUT they can speak out about bigotry and the language of bigotry.

"N.gger, Negro, Colored, Black, Afro-American, African-American." Sometimes it takes time for people to respect what you want to called, or how you want to indentified.

I had to learn NOT to call a Transwoman a drag queen...from THEDRDONNA on this blog.

You have to learn...or stay ignorant and bigoted.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 23, 2014 10:58:12 AM

12. Would have been better to at least ad "I'm sorry" to the RuRant.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | May 23, 2014 11:01:56 AM

13. The thing about slurs, which I've said before is, they can only be reclaimed by the group for whom the word was coined. If I were called a Tr*nny it wouldn't phase me because it's not a word that's been used dehumanize me. However call me the N word and you might get punched in the face. That being said I don't use slurs that I don't identify with.

Tr*nny is one of those words that's been used in a lot of gay pop culture and has mistaken many in the gay community as a word they can use, it's not. It's a slur against the trans community and it should not be used by anyone but the trans community if they so wish.

Posted by: Derrick | May 23, 2014 11:05:56 AM

14. This is happening in the gay community as well. There is mounting pressure stop the use of "homosexual" because some find it offensive. They find it offensive because it's being used by the opponents of gay rights. Any word they use in it's place will eventually become offensive.

Posted by: DJSauvage | May 23, 2014 11:15:31 AM

15. Trannies vs. Drag queens. Despise them both. Prolly trannies are worse cuz they are violent and anti-gay.

Posted by: kay kay | May 23, 2014 11:18:28 AM

16. Kay Kay, you're a jerk who lacks sympathy. No pride in that.

Posted by: Mikey | May 23, 2014 11:30:42 AM

17. MOZ'S nails it. Tranny is not a slur. Fag is a slur. When somebody is truly trying to inflict harm on a transexual person, either emotional or physical, they call them "fag" or "dyke," not "tranny." Almost everyone who uses the term "tranny" is an ally.

Posted by: Chip | May 23, 2014 11:46:51 AM

18. There are also transvestites which is a category RuPaul falls into. Doesn't he get to decide the way he wants to refer to himself?

Posted by: Mawm | May 23, 2014 11:50:28 AM

19. When I was in college the trans students would go to the "Tranny Shack" club to dance. My best friend in highschool is trans and now lives as a woman, and she uses tranny as well. I even quizzed her about it.

I think different trans people have different opinions on this, but it is the vocal, complainy side getting the attention.

Posted by: Mousie | May 23, 2014 11:58:01 AM

20. All you people crying PC police and defending the use of unneeded term like "tranny"" are all a bunch of faggots.

Posted by: Cran | May 23, 2014 12:00:31 PM

21. BRAVO!!!!!!!!! Miss Paul for saying what we are all thinking!

Really the trans people need to join NOW. It seems like a more appropriate fit.

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 23, 2014 12:05:43 PM

22. @derrick from philly

"I love Rupaul and his success, but HE'S WRONG. The Transsexual and Transgender communities decide what is proper language to define themselves."

I don't ever recall anyone ever asking US if we wanted to be referred to as LGBTQIEIEIO. I don't. I am gay and I do not like be called LGBT. I don't identify as such and had no say in the matter. Once again it was a few activist who scared the straight media into using it.

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 23, 2014 12:08:59 PM

23. "Almost everyone who uses the term "tranny" is an ally."

Oh yeah can't you feel the love from our 'ally' Matt Barber? Funny how that total-not-a-slur is the word every single right-wing bigot uses to refer to us.

Posted by: Sami | May 23, 2014 12:09:35 PM

24. You're right, MAWM. I did an independent study on Trans Theater and Performance in college, and for the longest time, "transvestite" and "tranny" referred to people who would identify as transgender today, as well as transsexuals, and drag queens.

If you read Charlotte Mahlsdorf's biography (on which Doug Wright's "I Am My Own Wife" is based), she would be transgender today, but always self-identified as a transvestite. April Ashley, one of the first transsexuals who had sex reassignment surgery, worked in the Paris Transvestite Revues, and she said that transsexual only truly applied to people who could qualify to have surgery (often because they were some degree of interesex). Those who would be called transgender today, who even took hormones and had silicone injected into their breasts and hips, were transvestites. Those who lived as men in their everyday lives, whom we'd call drag queens today, were called homosexual transvestites.

Essentially, the word has been in both communities for a long time, and no, it hasn't always been hateful. Many -- both trans and non-trans alike -- have used it endearingly.

Knowing that people find it offensive, you probably should think twice before using it, but equally, you have to educate yourself on how and why people are using it.

This is a splintered issue. Many people -- particularly older people -- take issue with the word queer, even though now it's a pc term and there are university departments devoted to Queer Studies.

People who truly hate you don't care whether they're using a pc term or not. Look how upset some of us got/get when "gay" is used as an insult, even though it's a pc term. We'll never squelch hate by policing speech. It evolves, and there's always going to be a generation that doesn't self-identify the way you'd want them to.

Posted by: Jase | May 23, 2014 12:36:10 PM

25. I think the debate over whether or not a word is acceptable to use is not really the point of RuPaul's argument. I think what he is saying is that you cannot look to others, outside of yourself, for acceptance or validation––one has to find this within oneself first.

Posted by: Le_Tigre | May 23, 2014 1:46:30 PM