Discrimination | News | Texas

Texas Restaurant Tells Gay Couple Not to Return : 'We Don't Serve Fags Here': VIDEO

Dewberry

A gay couple who left Big Earl's Restaurant in Pittsburg, Texas after having a meal there were told by the waitress not to come back.

"We don't serve fags here," said the waitress.

KLTV reports:

Collin and his partner Kelly Williams said they have lived in East Texas their whole lives and have never been called that word before.

“We’ve never had that kind of hate displayed to us before,” Dewberry said.

They explained that the waitress then recited the following phrase: “Here at Big Earl’s we like for men to act like men and for ladies to act like ladies, so we want you to never return.”

They had eaten, paid, and had no idea they had done anything wrong.

“It was just so nonchalantly, almost like she was reading a piece of paper,” he said.

Well, she was. That phrase is posted on a piece of paper on the front door of the restaurant.

Watch KLTV's infuriating report, AFTER THE JUMP...

KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Comments

1. Who wants to bet that this story turns out to be bogus and it is just 2 guys looking for attention?

Posted by: Perry | May 29, 2014 9:30:42 AM

2. Poor Perry, if you had bothered to take two minutes to actually WATCH the story, you would know that the restaurant's owner, Earl Cheney, CONFIRMED it to local media and on his establishment's Facebook page.

Perry, you are just as sick and bigoted as Big Earl. Woe to you.

Posted by: Michael | May 29, 2014 9:33:06 AM

3. "men to act like men and for ladies to act like ladies."
    I am confused. Why Rick is working as a waitress in Texas?

Posted by: simon | May 29, 2014 9:33:10 AM

4. ...and the draw to move to Texas is what, exactly?

Posted by: Rad | May 29, 2014 9:34:36 AM

5. Since the owner is admitting that it happened, how could it be bogus?

Posted by: Steve | May 29, 2014 9:35:02 AM

6. Did you watch the video? The restaurant owner says his daughter did everything they alleged, and used "f+g" because she was "flustered" and THEY were harassing HER. SO it's not a bogus story.

Posted by: MIke | May 29, 2014 9:35:04 AM

7. They didn't think they did anything wrong because they didn't do anything wrong. I'm so sick of reading stories like this but you have idiots like Bill Maher believing their is a gay mafia.

Posted by: Derrick | May 29, 2014 9:35:32 AM

8. My but Big Earl's the vision of sophistication.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 29, 2014 9:39:26 AM

9. Was this in Dallas, City of Hate? Texas never fails to live up to it's reputation.

Posted by: Pancho Lopez | May 29, 2014 9:43:58 AM

10. Perry, did you even watch the video? The owner and his waitress daughter even admit it happened.

Posted by: Richard Harney | May 29, 2014 9:45:19 AM

11. All I can say is that I'm glad that EVERYONE I know in life is against this kind of behavior and that I live in a society which is pro-gay. This type of story is ineffable to me.

Posted by: TigHeart | May 29, 2014 9:47:42 AM

12. Kiss my grits!

Posted by: Sean Maloney | May 29, 2014 9:50:10 AM

13. Sounds like time to round up a bus load or two of Texas fags and make a trip to Earl's I'd say just before lunch time.

Posted by: Kenneth | May 29, 2014 9:52:47 AM

14. To all the posters who asked if Perry had watched the video... Did any of you read the comments above yours (with the exception of the first person who made that comment). I'm gonna say that you're just as lazy as the person who didn't watch the video before posting a comment.

Posted by: JimmyD | May 29, 2014 9:54:01 AM

15. It's Texas for god's sake. Tea party command central. What else would one expect?

Posted by: the other Ken | May 29, 2014 10:01:51 AM

16. @Pancho Lopez - Dallas and Pittsburg are 120 miles apart. You do understand that things look closer together on a map than they are in reality, right?

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | May 29, 2014 10:08:48 AM

17. @ JimmyD - perhaps they weren't being lazy. They were just being outraged.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 29, 2014 10:22:09 AM

18. What a galling story. What a pitiful family that runs this restaurant. And guys, Ignore Perry - he's a conservative troll, a self-castrated eunuch doormat. IGNORE.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 29, 2014 10:25:14 AM

19. I assume there's no law against this in Texas? It didn't get mentioned in the video.

On the lighter side, I read the victim's name and the comments from the diner owner and all I could think of was "Dubarry was a Lady".

Posted by: Alan | May 29, 2014 10:29:43 AM

20. Why would someone like Perry be so quick to put down his fellow gays, who themselves had just been put down? Homophobia isn't limited to straight people.

Posted by: Ken | May 29, 2014 10:30:28 AM

21. "...to live up to it's reputation."

Well, there went the ability to take anything this guy says seriously.

"It's why I feel uncomfortable just in a layover in Dallas or Houston on my way to the east coast."

I would imagine that that has a lot more to do with your issues than with the Texans like me around you.

Posted by: Håkon | May 29, 2014 10:33:22 AM

22. Unbelievable. Truly.
    Things like this don't happen in this hillbilly state!

Posted by: Mitch | May 29, 2014 10:35:57 AM

23. Remember the movie, "Rat Race?" I have visions of a busload of Lucy female impersonators showing up at Earl's for lunch! But seriously, while the actions are inexcusable, if handled properly, this could be a teachable moment for Earl and his daughter.

Posted by: David | May 29, 2014 10:40:30 AM

24. "...and the draw to move to Texas is what, exactly?"

You sound like a very sheltered white guy, Rad. Lots of Mexican-Americans enjoy living here, as our families have been on this land for centuries. You can hear Spanish just about anywhere. Do you hate Hispanics?

Posted by: Sergio | May 29, 2014 10:40:53 AM