Baby Rhino Adjusting to Life After Mother Killed By Poachers: WATCH

Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 3.23.23 PM

A team of specialists is nursing a baby rhino that was orphaned when its mother was poached earlier this year. The Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre is accepting donations online to help with the process of healing the baby they've named Gertjie.

HESC wrote on their blog last month:

We took custody of a very special animal last night. A 3 month old baby rhino, anticipated to have been born around the 19th February, was brought to the HESC after being found next to his dead mother who had been tragically and brutally poached for her horn.

It was a devastating sight, as the tiny animal would not leave her side, and was crying inconsolably for her.

The HESC reports that "between 2007 and 2011 rhino poaching increased by a staggering 3346%." They say that rhinos are poached at a rate of two per day to meet the growing demand from Asia where it is used as a medicine. According to them, rhinos will be extinct by 2025 if they continue to be poached at the current rate.

To find out more about the incredible work of this organization or to help finance them, check out their blog

Watch some videos of Gertjie the baby rhinoceros, AFTER THE JUMP...

Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 3.39.59 PM

Comments

1. Holyshit, I just figured out how to save the rhinos. Make a Disney movie.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 13, 2014 9:36:04 AM

2. Humans are monsters.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 13, 2014 10:33:38 AM

3. That baby lost its mother because Chinese and Arab men think that ground Rhino horns makes their dicks harder.

Look at that baby! They feel. They love. They remember. They mourn.

Kill all poachers. Kill them brutally.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 13, 2014 11:07:48 AM

4. All my feels.

Posted by: TigHeart | Jun 13, 2014 12:29:08 PM

5. I wonder if these tactics can help me get a man... "its okay, dont be scared. I'm friendly" haha #creeper.

This is totes adorbs.

Posted by: JC | Jun 13, 2014 12:59:26 PM

6. Monsters true, but sometimes monsters with starving children. Many animals are brutal in the protection and feeding of their young. Poaching is a complicated tragedy and we would do well to support those with real life solutions.

Posted by: John | Jun 13, 2014 1:56:16 PM

7. See, I would have no problem chopping off the dicks of all those poachers and the dicks of all those impotent men who think rhino horn powder makes them virile.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Jun 14, 2014 12:32:48 AM

8. Sorry John, but I will politely disagree. There is right and there is wrong. Performing despicable acts and then justifying them by asserting they put food on the table doesn't make them acceptable. Poachers deserve prison.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jun 14, 2014 1:04:01 AM

9. Dr. Blackwell, would you mind terribly if I copy-edit your professional biography? It's a grammatical compulsion that I have.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 14, 2014 2:16:34 AM

10. I didn't even have to read the article. The headline already made me depressed :(

Posted by: daws | Jun 14, 2014 7:33:05 AM