Demi Lovato | Gay Pride | Music | Music Video

Demi Lovato Shows Her Pride, Releases 'Really Don't Care': Video

D_lovato

It's been a whirlwind Pride season for Demi Lovato. Early in June, the "Heart Attack" songstress grand marshaled L.A. Pride. This weekend, she will headline NYC Pride's event Dance at the Pier. Last night, on Logo's "Trailblazers" event the pop star offered some interesting perspective on where her love of gay culture comes from; Lovato says her grandfather came out as homosexual in the 1960s.

It seems only appropriate that Lovato's newest video, "Really Don't Care," proudly waves a rainbow flag. The video, released today, features footage of Lovato at the L.A. pride parade she grand marshaled.

There's no shortage of support for the LGBT community in the world of pop music, but Lovato gives us something unusual — a personal story about an LGBT subject that people often hesitate to discuss. Lovato is known for sparking useful dialogues with intimate stories from her personal life; here's hoping her openness could ease people into the (sometimes difficult) topic of coming out later in life.

Get into the pride spirit and check out the video AFTER THE JUMP, and watch her remarks from "Trailblazers" here.

Comments

1. So she outed her dead gramps just days before her new single is released?

I'm sorry, but if you're falling for this crap, you deserve to be pandered to.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 27, 2014 9:09:28 AM

2. If you actually read her story about her grandfather, it says HE CAME OUT in the 60s. You can't out someone who already outed themselves.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jun 27, 2014 9:14:58 AM

3. Gays are so in right now, singers and actors are outing their brothers, fathers and grandfathers for publicity.

Posted by: Moniker | Jun 27, 2014 9:27:10 AM

4. "You can't out someone who already outed themselves."

No, but you sure can use them to market your new album.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 27, 2014 9:29:20 AM

5. If this was by some other vapid pop songstress - let's say, Lady Gaga, for example - I would've definitely viewed this as obnoxious pandering. Obviously the purpose of this video is marketing, with the target audience consisting mostly of teen girls and gays. But I feel like Demi has always come off as quite genuine, and I'm actually buying her message here. I have to say I like her, and I enjoyed the video.

Posted by: Chris K | Jun 27, 2014 9:36:11 AM

6. Oh please. The song was written by a committee of 5 people... how genuine. It contains groan-inducing, cliche-riddled lyrics intended to reach the lowest common denominator:

"Even if the stars and moon collide
    I never want you back into my life"

All of her other songs about boys and breakups. She is the very definition of vapid pop.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 27, 2014 9:49:02 AM

7. If she is still not coming out...then "who really cares" from me too....

Posted by: styler | Jun 27, 2014 11:14:51 AM

8. She's a fun young lady, with a young fanbase who now get to hear and see her speak for Love and Equality. It's *all* good.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 27, 2014 11:15:59 AM

9. Cute video, Perez aside. Song's a bit bland though, her last few singles were a lot more fun.. and people need to stop giving Cher Lloyd work.

Posted by: JMC | Jun 27, 2014 11:20:37 AM

10. She's a sweet girl with a set of pipes. I'm glad to see she's overcome her inner demons. Best of luck to her and her career :)

Posted by: pablo | Jun 27, 2014 11:46:34 AM

11. Ah, some of you fail to see that she's doing a lot of gay events around Pride, and was specifically at the Logo Trailblazers event....where people talked about trailblazers...would it have been better if she made the entire speech about herself? Logo wanted promotable acts, she was already in NYC, it all worked out. Maybe more impressionable kids will watch because of it.

Also, this album is essentially dead...came out quite a while ago...so who cares if she released a single in support of all the Pride press she's getting? It's not going to be a heck of a lot of incremental sales.

It's a business.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 27, 2014 2:25:53 PM

12. "I'm sorry, but if you're falling for this crap, you deserve to be pandered to"

Effeminate gay men set themselves up for this "crap" with their "tradition" of worshiping straight women entertainers as "divas" and "icons". As long as their twisted mindset causes them to continue to do so, it only stands to reason that those straight women entertainers will take advantage of it.

Posted by: Rixk | Jun 27, 2014 2:51:04 PM

13. And remember, folks, every time I denigrate effeminate men what I'm really telling you all is that my family hates gay people, including myself. They *loathed* me.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 27, 2014 2:54:36 PM

14. Oh my neon lights, Demi rocks!!

Posted by: deee! | Jul 3, 2014 11:08:27 PM