Dominican Republic | Gay Pride | News

U.S. Ambassador to the Dominican Republic and his Husband Make Powerful 'LGBT Pride' Video: WATCH

Brewster

James "Wally" Brewster, U.S. Ambassador to the Dominican Republic and his husband Bob Satawake appear in a video celebrating LGBT Pride month, sent out on Brewster's Twitter account this morning, Blabbeando reports:

Since his nomination to the diplomatic post Brewster has weathered constant attacks from conservative and religious fundamentalist in the United States and the Dominican Republic and, in response, he has not shied away from engaging those attacks head on with dignity and, as this powerful video shows, strength.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I am very proud of the way that Ambassador Brewster & his husband represent our great nation.

Posted by: Richard Lewis | Jun 13, 2014 1:14:37 PM

2. Me too!

Posted by: Jay | Jun 13, 2014 1:32:05 PM

3. Well... yes, I'm proud and happy to have an openly gay ambassador, but really... how difficult is it to find a representative that speaks English & Spanish easily?

If they can do it at SubWay, they ought to be able to do it for a position as prominent at this.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Jun 13, 2014 2:24:31 PM

4. Richard Lewis: same here!

Posted by: GreatLakeSailor | Jun 13, 2014 3:09:28 PM

5. you have to have some cojones to take this assignment, and it would seem that this couple is fully equipped. orgullo !

Posted by: bandanajack | Jun 13, 2014 3:57:10 PM

6. The Dominican Republic has been completely ruined by evangelicals. It's very sad. The ambassador has received death threats.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 13, 2014 3:58:46 PM

7. This is great, it shows the jerks that these men will not be cowed by craven threats.

As for bi-lingual, I'm sure they speak a little Spanish, but doing a video in a second language is tough. I think diplomatic skills are more important than lingual if one must choose. When I travel, I make sure I know some key words and phrases in the local language(s) and I'm sure these guys have done more than that.

Posted by: DavidR | Jun 13, 2014 4:10:15 PM

8. A nice video. The only part I don't agree is how to deal with hatemongers. Instead of finding a way around them, we should headbutt them directly. As for Timmy Dolan or Brian Brown, they are too incalcitrant and too big an object to embrace.

Posted by: simon | Jun 13, 2014 4:12:21 PM