Crime | London | News

Gay Men Targeted, Partially Blinded in Homophobic Bleach Attack in London

Three London men were sprayed with a concentrated ammonia solution in two separate attacks outside the Lightbox club in South Lambeth Place, Vauxhall.

LondonOne of the attacks was on a 23-year-old gay man from south-west London and his 21-year-old friend after they had begun talking to three people outside the club because it was after closing time, the Evening Standard reports:

When the women, said to be East European, discovered the pair were gay they began screaming homophobic abuse.

The victim said:

“As we walked away I heard a man shout ‘Oi! Come here.’ At first I thought it was the doorman saying he’d changed his mind and we could go in. Then I saw this white guy with a beard, and his hand coming up with a water bottle that he squirted really hard into my face. It went right in my eyes and it sprayed into my friend’s mouth. My face was burning so much, I thought it was acid. I thought I would never see again and my face was melting. He poured every last drop onto us and then turned around and walked away, like it was mission accomplished. The chemical burnt the cornea in my left eye and the vision hasn’t cleared since. The doctors said it should hopefully return but there is no guarantee. My friend’s tongue was swollen and it looked like someone had scratched part of it away. It was horrible. ”

A similar attack targeted a third man in a nearby location.

Said Scotland Yard to the paper: "Following comments made during the exchange, this incident is being treated as a homophobic hate crime."

All three men have been treated at hospitals and released.

Police released surveillance photos of the suspects.

Comments

1. These sick animals should be put down.

Posted by: Martin | Jun 9, 2014 8:18:49 AM

2. No, it's not racist to say that east europeans are becoming a big problem in western countries.
    No, not all of them; but a significant number to cause offence.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 9, 2014 8:47:15 AM

3. The women look like hookers. Hope they already have rap sheets so they can find them fast .

Posted by: NwYrkr | Jun 9, 2014 8:53:17 AM

4. This will happen more and more to us with the increasing numbers of barbarians the civilized nations are letting in. This is why Seattle is seeing so many gay bashings. Eastern Europeans and muslims are responsible. Catholics coming in from South America are going to be just as bad.

Posted by: RayJacksonMs | Jun 9, 2014 9:11:13 AM

5. Yeah the pc have omitted that it's a Muslim. This is what happens when you tolerate the intolerant. So sad what Europe has become.

Posted by: #CondomNazi | Jun 9, 2014 9:28:01 AM

6. walking along the street pride weekend and some guy spits in my drink, go figure.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Jun 9, 2014 9:32:39 AM

7. They won't get far. Burn them at the stake!

Posted by: Lucas H | Jun 9, 2014 10:47:33 AM

8. Why on earth would you tell this people you are gay????!! What is WRONG with you??? I've walked through Lambeth...a couple of times....NEVER, EVER, AGAIN.

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 9, 2014 11:01:37 AM

9. Why on earth would you tell this people you are gay????!! What is WRONG with you??? I've walked through Lambeth...a couple of times....NEVER, EVER, AGAIN.

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 9, 2014 11:01:37 AM

-----------------------------------------------------

Rowan, I doubt they sat and told these people they are gay. They were outside a gay club, talking to each other. These women overheard them and assumed/discovered they were gay and freaked out...

I would likely have been talking about "gay things" if I were outside a gay club, too. My partner, or our family. Our vacation plans, whatever. There's should be absolutely no expectation that WE, as a community, should have to remain silent in public about topics straight people do *all the time*.

Posted by: theotherlee | Jun 9, 2014 11:16:21 AM

10. You would not worry about telling people you were gay if you were outside a nightclub in Vauxhall in 2014. yes some eastern europeans are homophobic but that is largely because their countries have some catching up to do; in many ways they simply display the attitudes of poorly educated people; they fear what they do not know or feel comfortable with. They will learn.

Posted by: arch | Jun 9, 2014 11:18:40 AM

11. Update: The two women turned themselves in to police earlier today and were NOT arrested.

The man is still at large.

Posted by: Martin | Jun 9, 2014 12:09:41 PM

12. You know it was a hate crime, pure and simple. It was premeditated. Who walks around with a water squirt bottle filled with a bleach solution after bar closing time? I'm glad they have a surveillance picture of the guy and have posted it.

Posted by: Jere | Jun 9, 2014 1:03:38 PM

13. While it's clear these ruffians were looking for trouble, why did these guys go back after that altercation? Was the club THAT important that you would keep trying at 4AM?! Go HOME people. It's just booze.

Posted by: Hrm | Jun 9, 2014 1:47:55 PM

14. While it's clear these ruffians were looking for trouble, why did these guys go back after that altercation? Was the club THAT important that you would keep trying at 4AM?! Go HOME people. It's just booze.

Posted by: Hrm | Jun 9, 2014 1:47:55 PM

15. @#CondomNazi : how did you determine that the perpetrator was a Muslim when all we have so far seems to be a picture of a guy with a beard, with nobody yet identifying him?

BTW, if he attacked them for religious reasons, why didn't he attack the women for not wearing burkas - one was in a miniskirt or shorts.

Otherwise, once caught, I hope they get the maximum sentence allowed by law. And nab the two women too as accomplices, and hold the lot of them libel in a civil suit unless the judge orders them to pay for restitution.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 9, 2014 2:04:35 PM

16. "walking along the street pride weekend and some guy spits in my drink, go figure"

And instead of confronting him, throwing the drink in his face, or throwing a punch, you just let him get away with it, didn't you?

THAT is why he did it in the first place, to demonstrate your own cowardice to you, which the culture of effeminacy has bred into you and other gay men and made you such an object of disrespect.

And until you learn to behave like men, you will continue to be disrespected, as you should be.....

Posted by: Rick | Jun 9, 2014 2:14:53 PM

17. I've finally figured it out, Rick thinks he lives in Westeros.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 9, 2014 2:18:45 PM

18. "I've finally figured it out, Rick thinks he lives in Westeros"

No, I live in New York, where just about any heterosexual man would confront you if you spit in his drink......as would be the case anywhere else in the world.

Being a self-respecting man is understood pretty much everywhere on this planet and in every culture......it just is not understood by effeminate gay men.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 9, 2014 2:36:41 PM

19. "Manhood" is a social construct applied differently everywhere.

Again, you are making up norms to justify being a terrible person.

Posted by: Polyboy | Jun 9, 2014 3:26:46 PM

20. Rick, you sound like a crazy person, and are dismissed as such. I know I'm not the first to tell you this, but there is something wrong with you man.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jun 9, 2014 3:37:44 PM

21. @ CRISPY

CRISPY, I just laugh at Rick's comments on race, on Transgender folk, on immigration, on women, on what he describes as Gay men's "culture of effeminacy". LOL He makes me laugh.

He just makes me laugh...no matter what posting name he uses.

I guess it's not right to laugh at crazy people like Rick, is it? I oughtta' be ashamed of myself. LOL!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 9, 2014 3:38:37 PM

22. Rick:
    Unless you have a gun, I think you will scream like a girl if the man is a 250 pounds "macho" man.

Posted by: simon | Jun 9, 2014 3:41:12 PM

23. I guess all gay guys who go out and about should start carrying concentrated ammonia squirt guns or whatever.

An eye for an eye is the only thing this kind of scum will understand.

Posted by: StranglerFig | Jun 9, 2014 5:18:03 PM

24. @Crispy, lol I love it, good one. @HRM, who cares if they went back to the club at 4am? They deserve to do so in safety regardless, don't blame the vicitm. Also what kind of party are you? You never partied in the wee horus of the morning when you were young?

Posted by: leprechaunvict | Jun 9, 2014 11:25:30 PM