Jane Fonda | Lily Tomlin | Martin Sheen | News | Television

Martin Sheen to Play Jane Fonda's Gay Husband in Netflix Comedy with Lily Tomlin

Tomlin_fonda

Back in March we reported that Netflix was developing a 13-episode half-hour comedy starring Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda called Grace and Frankie.

SheenMartin Sheen is now joining the show as Fonda's husband, according to The Hollywood Reporter:

The single-camera comedy centers on nemeses Grace (Fonda) and Frankie (Tomlin), whose lives are turned upside down when their husbands announce they are in love with each other and plan to get married. The women, much to their dismay, find that their lives are permanently intertwined and, much to their surprise, find they have each other. It comes as Netflix looks to push further into comedy, as original content vp Cindy Holland noted in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter.

Grace and Frankie is slated for a 2015 debut and is written and created by Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman and Howard J. Morris (TBS' Sullivan & Son, According to Jim, Home Improvement).

(Top image: JaneFonda.com)

Comments

1. The cast is great, so let's see will it be well written and funny.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jun 19, 2014 9:40:54 AM

2. Fantastic cast. Yeah, I'll wait to see if the writing is on the same par as the cast.

Posted by: Terry | Jun 19, 2014 9:55:25 AM

3. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin with the creator of Friends writing? I can't wait for this!

Posted by: MC | Jun 19, 2014 10:05:17 AM

4. What? No Dolly?

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Jun 19, 2014 10:10:04 AM

5. dolly is the other husband. Plays a cross dresser.

Posted by: Steve Talbert | Jun 19, 2014 11:16:14 AM

6. Oh, I love my FONDA. The only other person I know to look so good at age 77 was Lena Horne...oh, and Belafonte and Sidney Poitier and Paul Newman, and Miss Ruby Dee. I guess it can be done

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 19, 2014 1:09:41 PM

7. Friends had bland writing, but Christ, the other guy was behind Home Improvement and According To Jim?!?! Look out for VERY mainstream, quasi-offensive dialogue and cheesy resolutions. What a shame with that cast!!

Posted by: Robert | Jun 19, 2014 2:26:02 PM

8. This looks interesting, wonderful even. Imagine a sitcom anywhere, anytime with a theme like this, and what's more it's happening in real life as well. Actually, I wish my father had married the neighbor man instead of remaining married to my...oh never mind.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 19, 2014 2:36:48 PM

9. Gee Robert give it a chance before you make judgements! You know writers can pen many styles of comedy and drama?

Posted by: BETTY | Jun 19, 2014 6:51:31 PM