Parents Celebrate Pride with Their Transgender Sons in San Francisco: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-06-07 at 9.39.23 AM

Oprah's OWN network caught up with the parents of transgender men Ty and Landon at the San Francisco pride parade to discuss their  transition and growth.

"I remember standing there [at the parade] and I just started crying to see the families and the kids. And I was like "wow!" maybe one day my family will come to this," said Ty, recalling his first experience years ago at Pride.

Well Ty's mom was there this year celebrating with him. Ty and Kim spoke with journalist Lisa Ling, host of Our America, about their journey.

"You've always known who you are and who you wanted to be," said Kim to Ty. "And just in the last three years, the man that you have become, that's why I've quit my job and gone back to school. You have inspired me so much."

Check out the full Our America segment, AFTER THE JUMP...

Screen Shot 2014-06-07 at 10.17.00 AM

Comments

1. Nice video and stories. Now cue up the obligatory transphobia posts and "their" struggle is not "our" struggle blather.

Posted by: ScottCA | Jun 7, 2014 12:41:02 PM

2. Great parents!

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 7, 2014 12:49:51 PM

3. Beautiful story. And we see this when we march with PFLAG every year - the faces of the people lining the parade route. The smiles, the tears - we march for them. Over the years I've seen parents go from struggling to accept their child to marching with big ol' "I LOVE MY TRANS DAUGHTER" sings. love makes a family.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 7, 2014 12:57:40 PM

4. do they now identify as heterosexual?

Posted by: Hmmm | Jun 7, 2014 12:59:57 PM

5. Ummm...Pride in San Francisco isn't until the end of June, this must have been from last year, not this year

Posted by: Tsuyoikuma | Jun 7, 2014 1:04:27 PM

6. Both kids. WHOA. Those are some amazing parents. Not implying that they shouldn't be…but...Wow.

Honestly I'm stunned - blame it on being relatively sheltered I guess.

Good for them.

Posted by: Leo | Jun 7, 2014 1:05:01 PM

7. ACK misread the article. Thought it was the two kids of the same parents. Whatever. Still amazing.

Posted by: Leo | Jun 7, 2014 1:08:17 PM

8. Wonderful video. Thanks!

Posted by: Matt | Jun 7, 2014 1:21:22 PM

9. Lol! Yeah, I'm sure the parents are celebrating. Yay! My formerly lovely daughter has chopped off her breasts, injected herself with testosterone and now has a round womanish face with transplanted pubes sticking out of her chin! Someone break open the champagne!

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 7, 2014 1:36:50 PM

10. When does it air?

Posted by: Matt | Jun 7, 2014 1:39:55 PM

11. For the record, the reason I'm posting nasty comments under other people's names is that this story upsets me. It upsets me because I was never loved and accepted by my own family as a gay man, so I don't like when transpeople get accepted by their families. That's why I come here every day.

Posted by: Troll | Jun 7, 2014 1:46:23 PM

12. From what I've heard, the reason you march with PFLAG is because you mom owns that group in Toronto. That's what wealthy people do. They throw around their privilege and take ownership. As her son, you enjoy the fruits of that harpy's privilege. Bet you strut around next to her like a peacock don't ya?

Posted by: Toba | Jun 7, 2014 1:57:48 PM

13. I think all of us should celebrate the contributions of trans men to the field of abnormal psychology. They are few in number, but their contributions to our understanding of madness has been significant.

BTW, the primary organization representing FTMs seeking reassignment surgery admits that the infusion of testosterone into the body causes increased anger and violent aggression. So the next time your transman son comes over for a celebration, it is recommended to hide the cutlery and ensure a safe distance between the transman and young children.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 7, 2014 2:05:47 PM

14. Oh, sorry. I just realized after my years of obsessive stalking of you that your parents VOLUNTEER with PFLAG - which is a non-profit organization. So, I stand corrected - your family is volunteering, to help other families. That's why I'm so angry at KIWI. My family would never do that for me, and rather than be happy that other families are doing good work I'm choosing to obsess over him. I'm not mentally healthy, and I'm not an impressive person, and nobody loves me. And I hate when transpeople are accepted and loved, because it reminds me of everything I'll never know.

Remember dear readers, I'm a cowardly hateful troll and I will never show you all who I am. I'm simply not man enough. And I never will be.

Posted by: Toba Troll | Jun 7, 2014 2:09:50 PM

15. Little Kiwi, yes you are correct. I am not man enough. That is because I am not a man at all. I am a woman. A real woman, with 2 lovely X chromosomes and all the necessary parts in place from day 1. Not like the chemically altered, nipped, tucked and pasted monstrosities you celebrate.

And the stories about your ghastly mother and the way she treats people at PFLAG are well known. Entitled, overbearing and judgmental. Like harpy, like medicated son.

Posted by: Toba | Jun 7, 2014 2:23:01 PM

16. good for that mom for accepting her kid even though he or she looks really gross.

Posted by: danny p. | Jun 7, 2014 2:29:49 PM

17. I guess what upsets me most is that nobody loves me and so stories about transpeople being loved are a reminder that my hatred that I spew online hasn't actually made my own life better.

And I will continue to obsess about people who don't live a coward's life, like the one i'm barely living. Because I'm a Troll - and when I die it will be alone.

Posted by: Toba Troll | Jun 7, 2014 2:39:35 PM

18. I think they are both super good looking. Great parents and kids!!

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jun 7, 2014 2:47:41 PM

19. You cannot change your gender. You cam change your appearance to conform to a gender expectation but that is NOT changing your gender.

Posted by: petey | Jun 7, 2014 3:14:23 PM

20. It's also interesting that transgenders are very conformist in their choices. They conform to gender stereotypes appearance-wise - eg all male to female transgenders have long flowing hair. It really is a conformist fetish.

Posted by: petey | Jun 7, 2014 3:20:18 PM

21. For example, I conform to the typical troll-isms of saying stupid things that are utterly unintelligent from a place of anonymity.

Posted by: Petey | Jun 7, 2014 3:28:53 PM

22. Well, it never ends, does it?

I'm here at work on a Saturday, and so you know I've had a little bit to drink, and I'll have a little bit more...a lot.

Rick,

you posted under Tyler's name some hateful bullsh1t.

When one looks at documentaries such as "Before Stonewall" or "The Celluloid Closet" or "Paris Is Burning"-- you realize (if you have any sense) that Transgender folk have always been part of the Gay culture(s) and the Gay Civil Rights Movement. It is their movement also.

Gay and Transgender are two "umbrella" terms. There are a whole lot of people who fit under both big umbrellas.

Tomorrow is Gay Pride Sunday in Philly, and there will a lot of Transgender folk there. Good, I'm grateful to them.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 7, 2014 3:30:22 PM

23. Derrick From Philly,

Gee, I've seen all those movies and didn't come to your conclusion at all. But anyway, if trans people want to support gay rights, I think that is awesome. We should accept support from as many groups as we can. But just because some trans people might support gay rights doesn't make us one people with all transgenders any more than it makes us one people with labor unions or Democrats.

I have long supported Latino rights but that makes me an ally. It doesn't require Latinos to give up their identity and become "one people" with gay people.

There is no such thing as LGBT.

Posted by: Thomas | Jun 7, 2014 4:04:07 PM

24. Can someone tell me what they have down there? Is it a vag or what? I cant see how a doctor can create a male penis out of a vag so it would have to be some kind of inflatable thing?

Posted by: Tanico | Jun 7, 2014 4:08:01 PM

25. As I predicted, the transphobia and "their" fight is not "ours" started almost immediately. Its always SO tiresome. Why not make a G group and an L group and a B group as well as a separate T group while we are at it? You gay men and lesbians and bi folk really don't have anything in common either do you?

Posted by: ScottCA | Jun 7, 2014 4:14:43 PM