Advertising | Brett Smiley | Providence | Rhode Island

Providence Mayoral Candidate Brett Smiley Features Husband in Charming Campaign Ad: VIDEO

Smiley

Brett Smiley proposed to his husband Jim DeRentis with a PowerPoint presentation, or so says the Providence, Rhode Island mayoral candidate's new campaign ad. Thus, he's organized!

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Very Wes Anderson. It's charming.

Posted by: Mona | Jun 13, 2014 9:40:58 AM

2. First political ad I find "adorable" (and effective at the same time). And not just for the gay bit, although it's refreshing that it's so natural.

Posted by: jans | Jun 13, 2014 10:04:36 AM

3. The NRA will be all over him for his plan to tax handguns, but I would vote for him if I lived in Providence.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jun 13, 2014 10:13:53 AM

4. Charming, thoughtful, and sounds like he would make a great Mayor. And good for him for showing his husband in the ad! People need to see this.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jun 13, 2014 10:36:45 AM

5. This guy is hilarious and I would totally vote for him if I lived in his town. It would be like voting for Leslie Knope. And as a bonus, his husband seems super-cool. Providence couldn't ask for a better first couple.

Posted by: Jere | Jun 13, 2014 10:47:51 AM

6. He's very cute!

Posted by: Guillermo Luna | Jun 13, 2014 10:55:46 AM

7. That's a great ad!

Posted by: reality | Jun 13, 2014 11:49:45 AM

8. Cute ad. The Leslie Knope comparison upthread makes sense.

Posted by: HÃ¥kon | Jun 13, 2014 11:57:06 AM

9. I live in Providence and to be honest this seems like a corny crappy apple video explaining the new iPhone. I don't know I'm not taking him seriously in this campaign ad.In this moment in time I will have to say I pass.

Posted by: juan | Jun 13, 2014 11:59:15 AM

10. Still no minority gays.....

Posted by: styler | Jun 13, 2014 12:08:17 PM

11. Their previous gay mayor is now in Congress -- is Providence the San Francisco of the Northeast?

Posted by: Jackster | Jun 13, 2014 12:17:18 PM

12. To Answer Jackster question HHHEEELLLLL NO! lol I lived here in Providence my whole life and yea no.. not even close lol

Posted by: juan | Jun 13, 2014 12:20:38 PM

13. Tax handguns and require insurance!

Posted by: DavidR | Jun 13, 2014 4:11:57 PM

14. And yes, GREAT and ADORABLE ad!

Posted by: DavidR | Jun 13, 2014 4:12:21 PM

15. To Jackster and Juan: I'm a Rhode Island native who now lives in San Francisco, and while I have to agree that Providence is not the SF of the northeast (lol), it IS a surprisingly progressive and cosmopolitan city for its size. I'd compare it more to a mini-Portland in some regards... good restaurants, fairly good gay scene (in some ways a better one than Boston, though that's not saying much), great architecture, etc. Rhode Island has its problems, especially economically, but Providence is kind of a hidden gem.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 14, 2014 11:01:52 AM

16. @STYLER re: "Still no minority gays..." Well, what are you doing to change this? Making sarky comments on the internet isn't helping.

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 17, 2014 9:34:42 AM