Art and Design | Film | Gay Artists | Gay Media | Gay Parents | News | Robert De Niro

Robert De Niro Cries in Emotional Interview About His Gay Father: VIDEO

Tears_deniro

We previously reported on the new HBO documentary, Remembering the Artist: Robert De Niro, Sr., a passion project for his son, actor Robert De Niro. The documentary not only discusses the artistic merit of the late painter, but also his homosexuality. A new clip from the film, which premiered last night, highlights some of De Niro, Sr.'s diary entries regarding his sexuality.

Here is just one excerpt:

If God doesn't want me to be a homosexual, about which I have so much guilt, he will find a woman whom I will love and who will love me, or at least create an interest in women [as] sexual partners.

De Niro reveals that he discussed the issue with his mother on several occasions, but never with his father. "I was his son. I was the last to know," he says. He also mentions the dissolution of his family and his father's new life in New York City.

De Niro says he kept his father's studio intact to help his kids know what their grandfather did.

"I realized how important it is for children to appreciate the things that your parents did if they want to share them with you," he says, choking up. "Cause I regret certain things with my parents...that I didn't follow through on."

Watch the emotional clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think that might actually be the only gay-related part of the documentary I saw. For all the PR the De Niro folks have done in the gay media about this, the artist's gayness is really NOT discussed in this documentary much -- and certainly not to the extent which it's suggested it is. The documentary is about his dad the not-very-successful artist.

Posted by: Moretruth | Jun 10, 2014 2:21:19 PM

2. I think perhaps that is the artistic point of the project. His father lived his entire life with little discussion about his sexuality (it seems). Just locked it all way, a chain dragging at his soul. And a son who wishes he'd done more to reach out.

Posted by: BillinSonoma | Jun 10, 2014 3:09:42 PM

3. He loves his gay father. That's terrific!

Posted by: Guillermo Luna | Jun 10, 2014 3:14:53 PM

4. "I love my dead gay father!"

Posted by: crispy | Jun 10, 2014 3:18:31 PM

5. As people we often get caught up in trying to measure the value or worth of a life, what we did, or didn't do, what we create or tear down. But I think what we do best is tell stories about ourselves through experience. I think it's appropriate so near fathers day, that one of his fathers biggest successes was in telling his story. Through his art, and through this written legacy of emotions he left to his son. I think Robert gets a lot of his sense of telling stories from his father and he passes along his own take on this 'art' to us all. I think these are two very worthy lives and artists. They offer a lot we can all take back and look at ourselves.

Posted by: spg | Jun 10, 2014 3:23:22 PM

6. I found the documentary very moving but in a strange way lacking in any real understanding of what De Niro senior must have gone through. When he avoids the Cedar Street Bar is it because he feels superior or is it because that world was sooooo very hetero ? Was it the "frenchness" of his work that denied him success --or was that code? He and Virginia Admiral must have been viewed as the golden couple- the best Hofmann students , their shows lauded etc. . And then they split and De Niro faces his desires wow ! No wonder he felt deserted. It is nice he has a son with the wherewithal to promote the work . See the show at DC MOORE Gallery in NYC. The question remains is the aestheticism sublimation in the best sense or disavowal ?l

Posted by: patrick webb | Jun 10, 2014 3:40:07 PM

7. MoreTruth, DeNiro's dad was a very successful artist. DeNiro has never needed to work to make a living. He could have just sold some of his dad's paintings from time to time.

Posted by: BigGuy | Jun 10, 2014 3:40:11 PM

8. So sad. So many gay men have lived in such torment. And De Niro junior still seems burdened by his fathers torment, which he feels deeply, because he's an artist and a sensitive soul too - no less so, for having often used his empathic gift to play tough guys .

Posted by: Hank | Jun 10, 2014 3:54:16 PM

9. We kind of got the feeling that De Niro's tribute was just a ploy to make a buck off his Dads paintings. To elevate his status as an artist, because Jr. has name recognition, and probably owns a warehouse full of his crappy paintings. They weren't very good, and although he had promise, it was short lived and overshadowed by others far superior.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 10, 2014 4:03:27 PM

10. This sounds like it would make a fascinating fiction film

Posted by: jarago | Jun 10, 2014 7:03:24 PM

11. I love how they keep on using the 'gay father' narrative to promote the documentary even though in reality it is only 0.0000000% of the movie.

Posted by: Moniker | Jun 11, 2014 5:27:18 AM