New Jersey | News | Shark

Check Out the Massive Great White Shark Stealing Chum Bags Off the New Jersey Coast: VIDEO

2_shark

New Jersey fisherman Steve Clark was fishing near 28-mile wreck, a World War II shipwreck off of Cape May, NJ on June 21 when a 16-foot Great White Shark swam up to his boat and ripped off the chum bag.

"He's taking our chum bag! He's taking our chum bag!", one of the boaters screams.

"You bastard!", another yells. "He ripped our chum bag right off."

"Was it worth it though," asks the most sensible passenger, who sounds a bit like Kristen Wiig and was obviously thinking of the YouTube cash that could be hauled in.

Watch the incredible video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. They're going to need a bigger boat.

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Jun 23, 2014 9:38:35 AM

2. Trust me if that were my vid, I turn on the ads for my youtube account before I even posted the damn thing.

Posted by: Qj201 | Jun 23, 2014 10:55:45 AM

3. Be careful with this video clip - I tried to watch it 3 times and it shut down my computer the last 2 times. Watch it at your own risk. By the way, for all you sailing fans, what's a chum bag? Never heard of it before.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jun 23, 2014 10:58:15 AM

4. Yeah, what's a "chum" bag? Anyone know?

Posted by: terryp | Jun 23, 2014 11:13:20 AM

5. A chum bag is a drag queens purse filled with fish heads, guts and some sparkle to attract nearby sharks.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 23, 2014 11:25:20 AM

6. A chum bag is bag of chum hung off the back of a boat to attract sharks. Apparently it worked.

Posted by: Bruce | Jun 23, 2014 11:25:23 AM

7. A chum bag is bag of chum hung off the back of a boat to attract sharks. Apparently it worked.

Posted by: Bruce | Jun 23, 2014 11:25:23 AM

8. A chum bag is a bag of fish entrails and pieces used as bait to attract fish, not necessarily sharks. When I worked as a mate on the bottom fishing boats out of Cape May Marina (many years ago) we often "chummed" or threw chopped bait fish behind the boat to attract Mackerel, Sea Bass, etc. The last thing we wanted to attract was a shark, which would play havoc with our fishing lines.

As a youth, I fished near the 28 mile wreck. Not near as many sharks back then, but I could tell a tale or two about shark encounters while fishing the waters around Cape May.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 23, 2014 11:34:55 AM

9. Actually, chum bags are used for far more than attracting sharks. They are used to ramp up the interest of popular salt water game fish. I highly doubt this group was angling for sharks, especially given their reaction.

Posted by: iowan | Jun 23, 2014 11:53:27 AM

10. Sorry I asked…

Posted by: terryp | Jun 23, 2014 12:03:42 PM

11. A chum bag is sushi to go.

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Jun 23, 2014 1:21:01 PM

12. That is actually a baby shark it isn't that bigy
    These people were fishing for mako sharks.
    I think you need a license for that because they are endangered
    If they didn't have a license they may have been breaking a law that is very strictly enforced.

Posted by: AmericanDreamer | Jun 23, 2014 2:16:43 PM

13. Have any of you idiots seen Jaws, well than you know what chum is, which is in the bag, chum bag, get it.

Posted by: jimmy zee | Jun 23, 2014 3:35:58 PM

14. Hey Jimmy, do you know what a grease fire is? Could you show us?

Posted by: Tigernan | Jun 23, 2014 8:28:18 PM