News | Rick Perry

Rick Perry Says He 'Stepped Right In It' with His Remarks on Homosexuality and Alcoholism: VIDEO

Perry

Rick Perry, speaking at a Christian Science Monitor luncheon, told the crowd that he "stepped right in it" when he compared homosexuality to alcoholism in a recent interview.

Said Perry:

"When you get distracted, I'm thinking San Francisco. I got asked about issues and instead of saying 'you know what, we need to be a really respectful and tolerant country to everybody,' and get back to talking about, whether you're gay or straight, you need to be having a job, and those are the focuses that I want to be involved with. I readily admit, I stepped right in it...If you're really going to be the party that's going to talk to everybody, and say 'listen, you may not agree with all of my positions but getting you and your family and your loved ones the opportunity to live a better life because we've created a climate in this country where you're going to have a job and a good job and a good-paying job, if we'll do that then I think we'll be successful...We are an incredibly diverse mosaic of a country."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Perry made the comments a week ago in a speech to the Commonwealth Club of California. He has been hammered about them since from everyone from NJ Governor Chris Christie to CNBC's Joe Kernan, to Stephanie Cutter last night on Crossfire.

Comments

1. Putz.

Posted by: Ian | Jun 19, 2014 2:59:26 PM

2. Someone must have put a banana skin there. Now his advisers told him to send a more "inclusive" message, preparing him for his 2016 run for president.

Posted by: simon | Jun 19, 2014 3:01:03 PM

3. In other words, he had a rare moment of honesty and said what he really thinks.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 19, 2014 3:03:30 PM

4. Such a profound moron. Glad he's been eviscerated over this.

Posted by: Sergio | Jun 19, 2014 3:05:37 PM

5. He shouldn't have been tossing back those Cosmos before that interview.

Posted by: Kema Choinach | Jun 19, 2014 3:07:54 PM

6. did Perry just come out for marriage equality?

Posted by: ben in oakland | Jun 19, 2014 3:09:07 PM

7. Wow, i've never seen anyone peddle backwards so fast before in my life. What a load of bull crap.

Posted by: Ricster02150 | Jun 19, 2014 3:12:59 PM

8. File Under: What to say when your trial balloon turns out to be the Hindenburg.

Posted by: Prick Perry | Jun 19, 2014 3:15:54 PM

9. 'listen, you may not agree with all of my positions but getting you and your family and your loved ones the opportunity to live a better life'

Okay, so give Jason Hanna and Joe Riggs the right to be the parents of their baby on the birth certificate and not just the mother. Hypocrite, liar, cheat, new-Bush.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 19, 2014 3:17:59 PM

10. I know it's a verbal quote, but "mosaid of a country"? I hope he said "mosaic" and not "Mossad" (although Wolfe Blitzer could comment on that).

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Jun 19, 2014 3:19:40 PM

11. I think a more accurate analogy would be that he messed on the floor... and THEN stepped in it.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jun 19, 2014 3:21:28 PM

12. By messed, I mean $4!t. In case there was any confusion.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jun 19, 2014 3:22:36 PM

13. If he is concerned about jobs, how about Texas granting us the basic human right of access to those jobs.

Posted by: tim S | Jun 19, 2014 3:24:16 PM

14. I wish he was successful with his desire for Texas to secede the union. When the state caught fire, we could just let it burn while we point and laugh.

Posted by: clint | Jun 19, 2014 3:32:41 PM

15. In other words, "I just completely killed any chance I had at a presidential run."

Posted by: Michael | Jun 19, 2014 3:44:42 PM

16. Mosaid of a country... he sounds Muzlim.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 19, 2014 3:48:01 PM

17. He didn't step in it...he lives in it, breathes it and ISIT.

Posted by: Paul B. | Jun 19, 2014 3:49:46 PM

18. Did he just admit that he is not bright?

Posted by: ppp | Jun 19, 2014 3:51:25 PM

19. ..I see he has his "Smartification" glasses on......they must have malfunctioned

Posted by: disgusted american | Jun 19, 2014 3:55:56 PM

20. That is the most Sarah Palinest response I have ever heard.

Posted by: bernard | Jun 19, 2014 3:56:02 PM

21. Looking for the word “sorry” or “apology’.

…and it’s not there!

Saddest non-apology.

Posted by: ankeritsh | Jun 19, 2014 3:59:57 PM

22. I think his new sentiments and heart-felt beliefs (that his speech writer gave to him this morning) are really good. If we could stop having to worry about getting fired or having our children taken away or getting health coverage with our partners, we could focus on having better paying jobs and living happier lives.

Posted by: Steven | Jun 19, 2014 4:05:28 PM

23. Bush Lite?

Posted by: james street james | Jun 19, 2014 4:17:18 PM

24. To make this short and sweet. What he's saying is: "I should have lied about my real opinion, so I could get more people to possibly vote for me".

It won't work Rick...the people you're counting on to vote for you won't like this new middle of row Rick Perry. They'll say you've sold out.

Posted by: Tony | Jun 19, 2014 4:23:50 PM

25. @TONY:
    The Texas GOP bigwigs are still swimming in the middle of embarrassed about how big an idiot Parry seemed back in the 2012 primaries. To say that his base has eroded is an understatement, so "selling out" is the least of his concerns.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 19, 2014 4:36:57 PM