Mississippi | News

Gay Couple Kicked Out of Mississippi Restaurant on 'What Would You Do?' — VIDEO

Wwyd

ABC News' John Quiñones took his "What Would You Do?" hidden cameras down to Vicksburg, Mississippi. As you may recall, Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant recently signed a bill into law allowing business to discriminate against gays based on religious beliefs.

BigotsQuiñones placed a gay couple in a Mexican restaurant to see the reactions they would elicit in various scenarios after it became clear to other customers that they are together. The show even went so far as to kick the couple out in order to see what would happen.

While most of the reactions are infuriating and disgusting, Quiñones does end up finding the sane and humane soul among them.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This show makes my butt go together. Hard!

Posted by: AJ | Jun 2, 2014 8:51:33 PM

2. And these same people wonder why a record number of Americans want absolutely nothing to do with American Christianity.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 2, 2014 8:54:08 PM

3. Normally I'm a fan of this show but this one is ridiculous. I don't want to see anyone making out in public. Stay home if you can't control yourself.

Posted by: Jmac | Jun 2, 2014 9:00:16 PM

4. I agree with AJ . . . I'm not really a fan of people being set up.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 2, 2014 9:01:25 PM

5. I don't act like that in any restaurant, whether it's San Francisco or Mississippi.

Posted by: Marty | Jun 2, 2014 9:06:31 PM

6. I want to track down those last two guys and buy them dinner. There is hope for our country after all -- even in Mississippi. And I wonder if that fat girl at the end quoting the Bible was eating a shrimp dinner while citing to Leviticus...

Posted by: Rich | Jun 2, 2014 9:07:27 PM

7. Swine is an abomination too....looks like a few of the bigots were eating their own!

Posted by: CB | Jun 2, 2014 9:08:38 PM

8. Straight people don't get harassed and kicked out of places for holding hands and kissing.

If you can't handle people kissing in public, YOU stay home.

Posted by: Buckie | Jun 2, 2014 9:13:35 PM

9. Ok so far JMAC is serving disingenuousness. Like, I would be totally offended if straight football stars had a cake suck in front of cameras with their girlfriends... That never happens and I would totally be offended and complain if it did...

And ALAN is a sockpuppet of AJ? AJ's comment is word salad, so I'm assuming it's AJ as ALAN (sockpuppet) agreeing with himself. This table forces my position swim transformation. 21st century!

Posted by: Anon | Jun 2, 2014 9:14:24 PM

10. The college student that spoke-up for the actors playing the gay couple re-affirmed my hope for humanity.

Posted by: NVTodd | Jun 2, 2014 9:20:02 PM

11. Did you guys even watch this episode all the way? The made sure to have a straight couple do that exact, same thing as the gay couple and the patrons were fully supportive of that straight couple.

The best part of this episode is the person who is most upset by how the treatment of the gay guys, the person who is clearly visibly shaken, is the young, straight college male.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 2, 2014 9:22:00 PM

12. This video shows how homophobia is intergenerational. Sadly, people who say that the youth of the future will be more accepting are ignoring reality. One example in this video of the group of youth giving thumbs up to the anti-gay actress, taking video of the gay couple, laughing at the gay couple, etc.

Look at the Ugandan kids in mobs singing 'bye bye homosexuality'

Posted by: George | Jun 2, 2014 9:28:21 PM

13. In addition, I do think those two straight college dudes were pretty awesome.

Forgive my cynicism, but I wonder long they had to run that social experiment to get a positive response like that. Weeks? I'm thinking it took weeks to get some real people to defend the gay couple.

Posted by: George | Jun 2, 2014 9:39:08 PM

14. Interesting setup.

That's the actor from HUNTING SEASON, Ben Baur.

Posted by: Ari | Jun 2, 2014 9:51:48 PM

15. Christians are SUCH wonderful people. You can tell them by the fetid stench of their rotten, decayed, rancid fruit.

Posted by: Martin | Jun 2, 2014 9:54:23 PM

16. I grew up in Chicago in the 50s and 60s. All through my childhood I heard the same type of comments about interracial couples
    "It's disgusting. It makes my skin crawl. It's against the bible." It's time to get over it.

Posted by: billydee4 | Jun 2, 2014 11:02:12 PM

17. It's Mississippi. What do you expect?

Posted by: ppp | Jun 2, 2014 11:29:34 PM

18. This has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to do with the two men at "BIG EARLS". This disgust me beyond believe. Do you want to see HATE, I mean. real HATE? Go here. Scroll down, load ALL the comments, you tell me if anyone thinks this is not set up, for us GAYS?

Posted by: 2AMOR | Jun 2, 2014 11:35:34 PM

19. Restaurants are for eating food, not eating lips. Keep the smooches at home. Same should apply to straights.

Posted by: petey | Jun 2, 2014 11:39:56 PM

20. Thank you Andy, for not letting the likes of Daniel Virreroall,Troll for not reporting on this because, it would be two "WHITE PRIVILEGED HOMOSEXUALS"
    ENOUGH!!!

Posted by: 2AMOR | Jun 2, 2014 11:45:22 PM

21. They probably never read the Bible, just heard someone say homosexuality is an abomination to God. Quinones should ask two of them exactly where the Bible says that, not just answer "it's not Adam & Steve". Then ask them if they observe every law in the Bible, like obeying their husbands.

And ask them, too, if the United States should be a Christian theocracy rather than a democracy, and give sound reasons for their answers, not just platitudes.

Posted by: trees | Jun 2, 2014 11:49:23 PM

22. I find it interesting that the greatest intolerance came from the young women and the young mother. While the older couples were generally opposed to homosexuality, they seemed to have the opinion that it was none of their business. For the most part they ignored it until pressed to discuss it by the actors.

Posted by: Zach | Jun 2, 2014 11:53:07 PM

23. Restaurants are for eating food, not for looking at other people and what they are doing.

Posted by: simon | Jun 2, 2014 11:57:19 PM

24. Make of it what you will but the producers decided to take this experiment to Mississippi's 17th largest city: one that is 2/3 African American and show only white citizens reacting to the gay couple.

Now, I am not defending the state at all but why not do this experiment in a college town where you'd see more responses like the two young and accepting straight men? I guess it wouldn't make interesting television to show more acceptance than just one pair of patrons?

States like Mississippi need positive role models from their fellow citizens, not reinforcements to legacy bigoted behavior. Thankfully those two young men were a ray of hope for the state but they are probably (and sadly) not enough.

Posted by: MIke | Jun 3, 2014 12:18:43 AM

25. I could not agree more with this comment;

"Swine is an abomination too....looks like a few of the bigots were eating their own!"

HYPO-F***KING-CRITE, they should pray that the rate of people not serving a religion stop growing, for about 35 years it has significantly increased and based on many studies it will continue. It is estimate that by 2030, less than half of Christian will remain Christians.

I don't think that there's anything wrong to feel affectionate with your partner at a public place, as long as it's to vulgar do as you please... Like the HYPOCRITE say that it's freedom of screech to hate the gays, guess what it's freedom of speech to make out in public, whether you are gay or straight!!

Posted by: Seth | Jun 3, 2014 12:21:49 AM