"Ex-Gays" | Family Research Council | LGBT Rights | LGBT Stories | Proposition 8

'Ex-Gay' Activist Yvette Cantu Schneider Comes Out In Support Of LGBT Rights

Yvette Cantu Schneider, one of the most vocal and best known representatives of the ex-gay movement, has announced that no longer wishes to identify with anti-gay groups, reports GLAAD.

225050_10150202052319238_2061929_nSchneider is known for her high-profile start at hate group the Family Research Council and her work with California's Proposition 8 campaign.  She is still one of the key people who anti-gay voices cite in order to prove that "change" works. The American Family Association continues to sell a video, It's Not Gay, in which Yvette appears as a talking head. Her "personal testimony" still appears on Ex-gaytruth.com.

However, Schneider has said that she is sorry for the pain she has caused to LGBTI people, is questioning of the idea of "ex-gay" itself and is now fully supportive of LGBT people and their families.

In her recently published book Never Not Broken: A Journey of Unbridled Transformation, Schneider "struggles to heal from difficult events from her childhood, the abuses and hypocrisies of religious leaders, and the effects of her own denial of the feminine divine" and ultimately "discovers her true self."

Writing for GLAAD yesterday, Schneider explained how, following the stress brought on by her five-year-old daughter’s diagnosis with leukemia, she sought the help of psychologist Dr. Diana Wright who taught her mindfulness meditation and guided imagery meditation.

She goes on to explain:

“I had neglected the feminine and the feminine divine when I embraced patriarchal dogma that regarded women as secondary to men...It was only when I embraced this true self that I regained my life. It meant shedding many of the beliefs I had espoused for decades—beliefs about what it means to be gay, and what it means to treat people with dignity and respect.

“This change has cost me friendships and the respect of certain people. But that’s okay. I don’t expect everyone to understand my journey. One thing is for sure: Never again will I deny my authentic self in order to gain the approval and acceptance of others. It isn’t worth it.”

A Q&A with Schneider will be published by GLAAD today.

Schneider's defection is another recent blow for the ex-gay movement after Pennsylvania pastor Duane Youngblood was arrested last week on suspicion of sexually assaulting a teenager.

Comments

1. Yes! This is pretty amazing. People are so deep into the judgement they forget about the humanity, sounds like she finally woke up. I'm glad "Dr Diana" could really help her- Praise goddess !

Posted by: MaddM@ | Jul 29, 2014 1:49:38 PM

2. I'm going to follow the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Maybe Ken Mehlman needs a secretary.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jul 29, 2014 2:05:42 PM

3. It sounds like she was too much in love with buzzwords and phrases to really do any self-examination.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 29, 2014 2:06:48 PM

4. I get that we are supposed to welcome these grotesque creatures into the fold, but it is very hard to do when they have inflicted such pain.

I hate using the Hitler analogy, as it is such a cliche, but let's face it, a repentant Hitler would not be welcome at the temple.

I'm glad this scuzbag got her head back on straight - so to speak - but she has a LONG way to go to get anything from me other than a snide remark.

Posted by: DC Insider | Jul 29, 2014 2:20:16 PM

5. " I had neglected the feminine and the feminine divine when I embraced patriarchal dogma that regarded women as secondary to men...It was only when I embraced this true self that I regained my life....."

Me, me, me; I, I, I; my suffering, my pain, blah, blah, blah.

I guess I could reread this and think about it, if I gave a $h!t.

But she has put herself beyond decent society, she is an outcast; better for her now to STFU and crawl back somewhere.
    Yeah, I've nothing good to say about these traitors.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 29, 2014 2:46:18 PM

6. This huckster just has a book to sell. Quit giving these haters publicity. They're just looking for another source of revenue.

Posted by: Jay | Jul 29, 2014 2:54:37 PM

7. she has blood on her hands and a book to sell. no real apology for the evil she has done to lgbts and their families.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize, Physics

Posted by: ascanius | Jul 29, 2014 2:56:38 PM

8. Translation: "being anti-gay just isn't as profitable and popular as it used to be so I'm moving to greener, gay-friendly pastures. My bad. All is forgiven?"

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jul 29, 2014 3:53:34 PM

9. She still sounds like a wackadoo.

Posted by: Zell | Jul 29, 2014 4:41:46 PM

10. I LOATHE GLAAD with all my might.

I hope this women suffers the most painful life thereafter.

And no, I'm not religious, so F*CK forgiveness.

Have you seen that these pieces of sh*t have all come out once it has become unpopular to be so homophobic and they have lost $$? And have you seen that they have never actually physically done ANY retribution for all the deaths, unhappiness and destruction they have caused??

A few PR words and bang. We forgive them! The LGBT community make me sick sometimes. Thank god for the sane comments on this post about this sociopath.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 29, 2014 4:43:28 PM

11. There is an unacceptable apology, and this is an example. She begs forgiveness after years of harm done on fellow humans with one setence, I am sorry. I haven't forgiven Catholic Churchrs which burned Galileo on stake because he is right .

Posted by: Ppp | Jul 29, 2014 5:35:12 PM