Joan Rivers | News | Transgender

Joan Rivers Defends CNN Walkout, Michelle Obama 'Tranny' Remark

4_rivers

Joan Rivers released a statement to CNN on Saturday in response to anger over her remarks last week calling Michelle Obama a "tranny".

Said Rivers:

"I think it's a compliment. She's so attractive, tall, with a beautiful body, great face, does great makeup. Take a look and go back to La Cage Au Follies (sic). The most gorgeous women are transgender. Stop it already ... and if you want to talk about 'politically correct,' I think this is a 'politically incorrect' attack on me because I'm old, Jewish, a woman and a 'hetty' -- a heteosexual ... and I plan to sue the reporter who, when he turned off his camera, tried to touch me inappropriately on the a** - luckily he hit my ankle. Read the book ... if you think that's silly, wait to (sic) you see what I say about FDR and Eleanor!"

Rivers also told TheWrap that she is not sorry for walking out on CNN anchor Fredricka Whitfield:

“The CNN interviewer was a news reporter and not an entertainment reporter. She did not seem to understand we were talking about a comedy book and not the transcripts from the Nuremburg Trial. Every question was an accusatory one designed to put me on the defensive.”

Watch the walkout HERE.

Comments

1. omg, get over it. it was a damn joke!

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 7, 2014 1:13:17 PM

2. Is this still coming up? Lol!! Gotta give Joan props. She was always feisty. Notice after she made joke about First Lady and reporter guy says "Oh my gosh." in all seriousness. And Joan's like "Oh gosh" realizing he doesn't get the joke. But does she stop? Oh no, she's all "There's nothing wrong with it. It's okay." Lmao!!!

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jul 7, 2014 1:17:30 PM

3. Is this still coming up? Lol!! Gotta give Joan props. She was always feisty. Notice after she made joke about First Lady and reporter guy says "Oh my gosh." in all seriousness. And Joan's like "Oh gosh" realizing he doesn't get the joke. But does she stop? Oh no, she's all "There's nothing wrong with it. It's okay." Lmao!!!

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jul 7, 2014 1:17:31 PM

4. No, I didn't like the joke about the First Couple, and didn't like her using the term "Tranny"

BUT, she still has gift for wisecracks. THe comment about the reporter trying to touch her dropped ass was hilarious (he hit her ankles instead). She has queeny humor now. When queens get old we make fun of ourselves.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 7, 2014 1:21:26 PM

5. Walking it back. She's not brave or stupid enough to own the homophobia implicit in her original comments. And now she's suddenly the victim.

Posted by: Richard | Jul 7, 2014 1:26:26 PM

6. "It was a JOKE!" -- Adolph Hitler

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 7, 2014 1:28:15 PM

7. But she quickly backtracked and told the reporter "Transgender". She's always been like this through how many decades. And I'm told that the joke she used is actually an old one. So it's not even an original one. And everybody went up in arms. I'm sorry but I think it's funny. The irony being it happened on our nation's Day of Independence. Which begs the question... What is considered freedom and free speech? When does it cross the line that we can't even joke with ourselves? So yeah, this is brilliant for Joan even though it wasn't really something that should have been taken out of context.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jul 7, 2014 1:31:00 PM

8. "Every question was an accusatory one designed to put me on the defensive.”

So? You're an experienced media whore, Joan. Why not use your 'comedic talents' to deal with this, rather than acting like a 4-year old and petulantly stomping off? Fight accusation with comedy! That's what comedians do! Or is your schtick something else besides comedy? Joan Rivers is as fake as her fingernails and eyelashes, and probably even tireder than she looks underneath that hatchet job of plasticsurgery that she so probably sports. She'll end up in an ash bin with the rest of her people. (That was a joke! Comedy! How can that have been offensive?!)

Posted by: Ashenholler | Jul 7, 2014 1:39:24 PM

9. "I'm sorry but I think it's funny."

Either it was a joke or a compliment. Which is it? If it was a joke, can you explain how it is funny? Because I don't get it. And if it was a compliment, then why do we not hear Joan using the word "tranny" to compliment people on the various red carpets?

And the walkout on Fredericka Whitfield? Like it or not, Joan Rivers is not just a comedienne, she is a public figure and she has made some news with controversies here and there. She was appearing on a Cable NEWS Network show called the "NEWS Room" and she gets pissed that they ask her abouT news she has made?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jul 7, 2014 1:39:53 PM

10. It was a joke, Dastius. The reporter originally asked her if she thought there would be a "gay president". To which she nonchalantly responded with "We already have one." Says it's Obama then says "So...let's just all calm down." The punchline being it's a tongue-in-cheek remark. So when the reporter egged her on and she goes on about the First Lady. He says in all seriousness and shock "Oh my gosh." She responds "Oh gosh." In exasperation because she knew right there that he didn't get the punchline.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jul 7, 2014 1:46:08 PM

11. I like that she was being ironic and people took it serious, and are still all PO'd.

I mean, wow, get lives, LOL

Posted by: better than you | Jul 7, 2014 1:56:58 PM

12. So the "joke" is that Michelle Obama is trans and that makes Obama gay? That's it? I can't possibly understand why people aren't laughing at that. It's a mystery.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Jul 7, 2014 2:00:51 PM

13. Joan has a point and she is, after all, a comedian FGS! Want to see some hot men? Check out my latest video: the SF Fillmore Jazz Festival - great music, delicious food and lotsa beer - and men, of course!!! :-) (Click my name to see the video!)

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Jul 7, 2014 2:04:24 PM

14. can't take the heat...can dish it out though

Posted by: steve | Jul 7, 2014 2:04:32 PM

15. i can't stand fredricka whitfield, and have laughed at joan rivers for over 30 years.

for me, the debate was over before it started - go, joan!

Posted by: northalabama | Jul 7, 2014 2:17:23 PM

16. "In exasperation because she knew right there that he didn't get the punchline."

MickyFlip, there are a lot of us who do not get the punchline. I certainly don't. As someone who finds it funny, can you please explain WHY it is funny? Can anyone?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jul 7, 2014 2:23:17 PM

17. Can't stand her anymore. You can understand why her husband Edgar killed himself.

Posted by: Andy | Jul 7, 2014 2:23:36 PM

18. Lol! Attacking her for being old, Jewish, and hetty. Joan Rivers is hilarious. Love her!

Posted by: daws | Jul 7, 2014 2:34:44 PM

19. We all know what the walkoff was about. You get far more publicity for walking out of an interview than you get for an interview.

Posted by: Daniel | Jul 7, 2014 2:54:37 PM

20. A clueless interview by a clueless CNN talking head. Happens on Fox News and CNN every day. No idea why anyone would pay attention to anything on either network.

Posted by: jason MacBride | Jul 7, 2014 2:54:57 PM

21. Anyone who pisses off trannies is alright in my book! Worst m-f'ers in the world, after rightwing Christians. The most homophobic and misogynist people you ever don't want to meet.
    Letting them force that T onto LGB was the worst mistake we ever made.

Posted by: Declan | Jul 7, 2014 3:10:05 PM

22. Declan, do you have any proof that trans folk as a class are homophobic? People say that all the time in these comments sections, but they never have any evidence that there's a sizeable contingent of homophobic trans folks.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Jul 7, 2014 3:23:40 PM

23. @betterthanyou....you say she was being ironic, I don't think that word means what you think it means, PLEASE, go to a dictionary, look up irony, and explain exactly how Joan's comments were "ironic"

joke, statement, compliment or slur....there was no irony in her statement.

Posted by: chris | Jul 7, 2014 4:12:31 PM

24. As an aside, regardless of what you think of the use of "tranny" Doesn't the First Lady of the United States deserve a little bit of respect? It would be offensive if it was Hilary or Laura Bush as well, but in this case since her attackers have often used that as a means of attack, it is especially inappropriate. They are political figures so if you want to joke about their politics go ahead,
    That being said Joan has every right to say what she said, and everyone also has the right to say that she went too far this time, in my opinion she did.

Posted by: chris | Jul 7, 2014 4:18:16 PM

25. The desperation is so sad. Not merely the best days, but nearly all the days, are behind her.

Hang it up, Joan.