Comments

1. dtbf says

Not to throw any shade on Madrid or any other Pride parade, but why did Towleroad give such short thrift to covering the WorldPride celebrations in Toronto, a real global event on the LGBT calendar and perhaps the most important Pride gathering this year, given the WorldPride Human Rights Conference that took place?

Towleroad posted only about the opening ceremonies and the big wedding of 115 same-sex couples. Yet the World Pride Human Rights Conference was perhaps the most significant LGBT human rights forum to have ever taken place thus far, and the Toronto Pride Parade this year was much, much larger than the Madrid parade or other parades that Towleroad gave significant coverage to. Is it because Spaniards are sexier than Canadians, and Towleroad judges newsworthiness based on how many floatloads of shirtless men there are? It just seemed like a missed opportunity to give coverage to a significant international LGBT event.

2. dtbf says

I should further note that the “Emotional Photos of Gay Dads Holding Newborn Go Viral” post is about a birth that took place in Toronto during World Pride, and the gay dads (both Canadians living in Toronto) in question wrote about how fitting it was that this would happen during World Pride.

Again, it just seems odd that Towleroad seems to be ignoring that World Pride took place.

3. dtbf says

@willy: Again, I don’t want to turn this into a pissing contest between Madrid and Toronto (both great cities with great Pride celebrations), but the week-long World Pride celebrations in Toronto this year drew in an estimated 2 million visitors. I can’t find an estimate as to how many attended the parade itself, but in “regular” years Toronto’s parade draws around 1 million attendees, and this year the crowds were much bigger. More significantly, there were over 350 groups and 12,000 marchers in Toronto’s parade this year (over twice as many as regular years), and watching the whole parade required an epic 5 hours from start to finish (again, twice as long as regular years) — another reason I wrote that Toronto’s Pride Parade was “much, much larger” than Madrid’s parade this year. I would be very surprised if Madrid’s regular Pride parade this year was longer or had more participants than that.

Again, I’m not saying Madrid’s parade isn’t worth covering. It’s just odd that an exceptional international Pride event, that takes place only once every few years (this year in Toronto), received such scant coverage from Towleroad.

It’s worth noting that Madrid is hosting the next World Pride in 2015, and no doubt it will be much, much bigger than Madrid’s regular Pride this year.

4. says

The Spaniards certainly know how to party, that’s for sure :)

And gotta love Conchita. She’s continuing on with her whirlwind tour around Europe, telling everyone who will listen that tolerance and acceptance should just be the norm. My prediction is she’ll end up one of the most important people of the 21st century. Mark my words.

5. says

That’s right @Petey. Long live Pride! Millions enjoy it, even if you don’t.

And World Pride in Toronto was indeed great, as was the conference attached to it, which my husband participated in. Even if the city has an obese fool as mayor, you wouldn’t know it from the welcoming spirit in the streets. You know it’s a good Pride Day when the rain gets quickly followed by a double rainbow.

6. ratbastard says

How exactly do they determine how many people participated and watched a parade, a festival that can go on all week, and so-on? I find a lot of these quoted numbers and statistics a little dubious. Sometimes I think they’re pulling numbers out of their bum. I’d certainly take them with a grain of salt.

As for Toronto pride, a couple of things:

This blog is primarily geared towards the Anglo/English speaking world; Toronto isn’t exactly exotic to an American (or Canadian), nor is frankly that unique. Madrid is more exotic by comparison, more ‘European’, representative of another region of the world beside North America. I get tired of the cheer-leading and aggressive attempts by some cities to show how hip, happening, special, ‘diverse’ they are? Some places try too hard. IMO Toronto is one of those places (there are some U.S. cities in the same category). Truly ‘world class’ and special cities often don’t care what others think about them, some are rarely mentioned in media and popular culture.Lesson is don’t be so sensitive to slights, imagined or real. I didn’t notice anyone from NYC, L.A., Boston, Chicago, etc. complain their local pride didn’t get enough attention on TR. Toronto is a great town with a great pride festival, relax, everybody knows this. Take a cue from another Canadian city, Montreal, a great city, and they know it and don’t seem to have the constant need for affirmation I’ve noticed some Toronto folks need.