David Tyree | Football (American) | Human Rights Campaign | News | NOM | Sports

New York Giants Hire Anti-Gay NOM Spokesperson David Tyree as Director of Player Development

Tyree

Towleroad readers will know former New York Giant David Tyree from a series of posts back in 2011 in when he became a spokesperson for the National Organization for Marriage (NOM).

GiantsHe has now been hired by the Giants as the director of player development.

Said Tyree in a video for NOM in 2011:

“Marriage is the only relationship that actually mirrors a relationship with God — it’s very unique in that way...If they pass this gay marriage bill...what I know will happen if this does comes forth is this will be the beginning of our country sliding toward...anarchy...That will be the moment our society loses its grip with what is right...I don't believe that truth is subjective...If you redefine [marriage...it changes the perception of what is good, what is right, and what is just..."

Tyree later went on to say that he would trade a Super Bowl win to stop gays from marrying and expressed concern for his kids:

"I don't want my kids to think homosexuals are normal."

Tyree is also an advocate for gay conversion therapy, NJ.com reports:

His more divisive views -- like somebody can change their sexual identity through therapy --- came to light via a series of Twitter messages from 2011 first reported by NJ.com.

"I'll never be a former black," Tyree tweeted in June 2011. "I have met former homosexuals. That's the truth."

The tweets -- along with his crusade for years against gay marriage -- drew a strong rebuke Tuesday by the Human Rights Campaign, both in a response to an inquiry from NJ.com and in a press release Tuesday evening.

“When did Tyree decide to be straight?” asked Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin in a news release. “The idea that someone can change their sexual orientation or gender identity is ludicrous, and the New York Giants are risking their credibility by hiring someone who publicly advocates this junk science. His opposition to basic legal equality aside, David Tyree’s proselytizing of such dangerous practices goes against the positive work the Giants organization has done in recent years.

The Giants said in a statement that Tyree "was expressing his personal view, and that is not the view of the Giants organization."

Watch Tyree's video for NOM and an ESPN report on the hiring and backlash, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Yikes!

Posted by: mymy | Jul 23, 2014 1:39:03 PM

2. this ain't gonna go too well when he encounters an out gay player, is it?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jul 23, 2014 1:43:27 PM

3. Another uneducated minority athlete talking about things he's too stupid to comprehend. Good luck explaining yourself, caveman.

Posted by: Robert | Jul 23, 2014 1:46:18 PM

4. I will no longer buy tickets or merchandise from this franchise!

Posted by: Jaysonn | Jul 23, 2014 1:46:29 PM

5. Checking the NY Giants website for a contact email to express my decision to block all NYGiants broadcasts, I find nothing. The contact page results in a 404 'does not exist' error. Obviously the NYGiants could give a crap about what their fans might have to say. Say it with your dollars and divert those dollars to the RAMs where being gay is good. We LOVE the RAMS!

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jul 23, 2014 1:49:54 PM

6. Calm down guys. Let's see what he says now that he is working for an organization where being anti-gay is not a good idea.

If he has to publicly make gay-friendly statements as part of his new job, showing those videos juxtaposed with the NOM ones would make it obvious that simply because a spokesperson says something, doesn't mean he/she believes it.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 23, 2014 1:54:13 PM

7. @ "Another uneducated minority athlete talking about things he's too stupid to comprehend. Good luck explaining yourself, caveman."

Too bad he doesn't speak heavy "ebonics" then you'd really nail him ROBERT.

I disagreed with everything Tyree said.

But, ROBERT, you want to talk about his minority status. Why didn't you comment about anti-Gay Todd Starnes--only two news stories ahead of this one on Tyree?

Is Starnes just another majority pundit too stupid to comprehend....

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 23, 2014 2:08:57 PM

8. It's ok to hire advocate of conversion therapy , and it's ok to express bias and misunderstanding under the name of freedom of speech. However, it's not ok to express bias and misunderstanding to black because it's not freedom of speech, for example, Donald Sterling

Posted by: ppp | Jul 23, 2014 2:16:52 PM

9. The same principle is also applied to Jews.

Posted by: ppp | Jul 23, 2014 2:17:38 PM

10. He has a brain the size of a green pea...a number of concussions no doubt...and although I would like to stick my sausage in his lovely black mouth...who cares what he "thinks" about anything? And I use the word "thinks" loosely.
    Derrick...is it still OK to say "black"?

Posted by: Paul B. | Jul 23, 2014 2:18:48 PM

11. He and Dungheap should 69 like they secretly want to.

Posted by: DC Insider | Jul 23, 2014 2:25:17 PM

12. Why is he so sure conversion therapy can work? No professionals think it can. Or maybe he uses mind control himself in the hope of keeping his own gay away. Hot dude probably knows he would immediately get action.
    The religion thing is just not correct. The bible really doesn't support an anti-gay stance. Unless you read the Old Testament selectively. He must know that as it's repeated a lot.
    If he needs to explore to be sure he's not gay - I can help.

Posted by: Markt | Jul 23, 2014 2:25:22 PM

13. RE:"I have met former homosexuals."

No, Mr. Tryee, you have not. Did you test them?

Posted by: 1♥ | Jul 23, 2014 2:25:28 PM

14. K. Let them henceforth be known as the New Jersey Giants, for that is where they train, and where their stadium is at anyway.

Posted by: LetSodomRing | Jul 23, 2014 2:25:48 PM

15. Ignorant bigot says what ?

Posted by: Tre | Jul 23, 2014 2:26:34 PM

16. I have met former black people. Michael Jackson dyed his skin white, so can you.

Posted by: Tre | Jul 23, 2014 2:27:07 PM

17. Things change. Societies had slaves for thousands of years and it wasn't until recently that that changed. People like this guy would have said the same things back then : "foundation of civilization is being destroyed blah blah this is a form of anarchy blah blah"

They don't get it ...

Posted by: Michael | Jul 23, 2014 2:27:33 PM

18. @ "Derrick...is it still OK to say 'black'?"

For you and Robert? No.

@ "I would like to stick my sausage in his lovely black mouth..."

Are you talking about David Tyree or Michael Sam? They both have black mouths--whether you noticed. With either one--if you do that, I hope you have life insurance.

I repeat that I disagree with EVERYTHING Tyree said. But if you want to get "racial" then I'll go there with you.
    And I will match your insults.

Yes, a nasty exchange of racial insults on Andy Towle's blog. What else is new?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 23, 2014 2:33:28 PM

19. F*** the New York Giants, and f*** David Tyree.

Put on some Caucasian makeup and be Ex-Black, Tyree. You'll look more normal.

I don't want open blacks around my kids, it disgusts me.

If blacks are allowed to speak and express themselves openly like this, the country will slide into anarchy and destruction.

Posted by: TheSmokingMirror | Jul 23, 2014 2:36:38 PM

20. @Derrick...Tyree happens to be today's ignorant black spokesperson. Tomorrow it will be someone else...maybe black, maybe white...who cares. Would you like to call him something else dear? Still, having identified him by color...do I stand guilty of bigotry?

Posted by: Paul B. | Jul 23, 2014 2:40:23 PM

21. @Robert

For every uneducated minority athlete talking about things he's too stupid to comprehend there are multiple majority elected officials doing the same, plus attempting to make law that negatively impact your citizenship. Do you suggest that there is something inherently wrong with their "race"?

Posted by: Ali | Jul 23, 2014 2:43:07 PM

22. December 21 - Rams vs. Giants.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 23, 2014 2:49:00 PM

23. @ "I'm yummy for black...does that make me a bigot too? OMG...maybe we should just call him dark beige."

Again, who? Tyree or Sam? One is a religious fool and the other is a brave Black Gay athlete. But they're both Black. Didya' notice?

This is funny :-)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 23, 2014 2:54:59 PM

24. @Derrick...you're not reading well today. The first word of my comment was "Tyree"...so maybe that's who I'm referring to, ya think?
    Come on Derrick...the black thing is done...move on. We're on your team...forget the wackjobs...I mean most of us. The one's that count. You've got that chip on your shoulder all the time...and it's rarely needed here.

Posted by: Paul B. | Jul 23, 2014 3:00:46 PM

25. Response from the Giants GM: "Most of all, I believe [you] should mind [your] own business and try to keep the plank out of [your] own eye. That's what I believe in the most."

Posted by: Carlie | Jul 23, 2014 3:13:24 PM