Addiction | AIDS/HIV | Film | Film and TV | Interview | News | Rupert Everett | Theatre | Video | YouTube

Rupert Everett: Sexuality Has Been A Huge Issue In My Career - VIDEO

Rupert everett

In a recent interview, actor Rupert Everett has said that his sexuality has been a major issue throughout his career.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Everett said:

“There’s only a certain amount of mileage you can make, as a young pretender, as a leading man, as a homosexual. There just isn’t very far you can go.”

Everett has courted controversy in the past by telling gay actors to stay in the closet and for coming out against same-sex families.

Currently in rehearsals for Peter Schaffer’s Amadeus at the Chichester Festival Theatre, London, Everett said of his role:

“I can see a lot of [Antonio Salieri ] in me. I have periods of intense bitterness and fury at the world and blame-throwing at everybody else. It’s a very easy thing to get into.”

On his problems with addiction, Everett says:

“I’m still probably not in the position to say 'no’. If you got out a gram of coke now and offered me a line, I’m sure I’d take one. But I wouldn’t seek one out and I know it’s not going to get me any place much. Weed, which I adore, I had to stop smoking, if only for learning Amadeus.”

The actor also talks candidly about how promiscuity in his early life had him terrified that he had contracted HIV.

In case you missed it, watch Everett's BBC interview in which he tells young gay actors to stay in the closet, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. You missed out on all the gay roles because you thought you were too good for them, then burned a lot of bridges by calling everyone homophobes - then got that ridiculous face sewn on you to try again, and now you're bitter because you missed out on the new gay roles. Sorry Rupe - if you try to be anyone but who you are, you end up nobody.

Posted by: Tigernan | Jul 2, 2014 10:06:26 AM

2. Rupert's personality and constant whining have been bigger issues in his career.

Posted by: jason MacBride | Jul 2, 2014 10:12:50 AM

3. perhaps he was just born to soon, and courted too heavily. a decent enough actor, his sense of entitlement and his lack of drive have sabotaged him at every turn. who even hires someone who candidly states that he would do some lines of coke if it was offered to him. his looks and his talent effectively wasted. sad.

Posted by: bandanajack | Jul 2, 2014 10:13:04 AM

4. I think his biggest regret will be the plastic surgeon he chose.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Jul 2, 2014 10:13:14 AM

5. He's not a leading man type.

Posted by: Jeffg166 | Jul 2, 2014 10:13:56 AM

6. Being a conceited insufferable prat has been a MUCH bigger issue in his career.

Posted by: radtastic | Jul 2, 2014 10:14:04 AM

7. Alright, what bird pecked his eyes out?

He was a nice-looking man at one time.

Posted by: RuPev | Jul 2, 2014 10:14:55 AM

8. So, Neil Patrick Harris, Sir Ian McKellen, Zachary Quinto, Jonathan Groff, Matt Bomer, Chris Colfer, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Cheyenne Jackson, Jim Parsons, Nathan Lane, and John Barrowman should all have stayed in the closet?

Mr. Everett, I have some news for you: the only reason why you are a failure is because you keep blaming your sexuality for your lack of employment, rather than the real reason, which is that you're a self-loathing, miserable, bitter, unreliable drug addict. There are plenty of successful, major out gay male actors in entertainment these days. That's not to say there isn't continued discrimination or that these actors have access to the kind of superstar, leading man roles that straight men do, but let's be honest here. Rupert Everett is a washed-up has-been, and the only reason why he makes the news these days is because of his incendiary self-hate and ceaseless whining.

Posted by: atomic | Jul 2, 2014 10:15:44 AM

9. Sad man has lotta demons.

Posted by: Drummond | Jul 2, 2014 10:15:49 AM

10. He strikes me as being a very unhappy person.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jul 2, 2014 10:16:37 AM

11. @ ATOMIC :

It's a sad commentary on a once promising actor, but you are absolutely correct.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 2, 2014 10:21:45 AM

12. The fact is his success at playing posh spoiled types or comic villians simply puts things into perspective, that he's a two or three note Charlie. One of those notes is not an action hero so he was unable to capitalize on that genre like Bruce Willis, Sylvester Stallone or Arnold. It is hugely apparent that of the three actors in the film version of Another Country only Colin Firth and Cary Elwes have any range.

Posted by: Amell | Jul 2, 2014 10:22:03 AM

13. What's he babbling on about - he has had quite a decent career - certainly better than most working actors - gay or straight.

'Another Country'; 'Dance with a stranger'; 'An Ideal husbamd'; 'My best friend's wedding'; 'Inspector Gadget' etc.

He may be bitter as his disgusting plastic surgery makes him look deformed now.

Posted by: MaryM | Jul 2, 2014 10:24:19 AM

14. Here we go again, with him blaming being gay instead of his talent level, despite the fact that numerous more capable actors get straight roles who are far younger AND older than him.

Posted by: Hrm | Jul 2, 2014 10:27:08 AM

15. He looks different. I don't see him as a leading man, as someone here pointed out, he always seemed to play the same character. (I've seen him in the clubs in London years ago and I think his is right about his fear of having stds.)

Posted by: Matt27 | Jul 2, 2014 10:31:07 AM

16. Sexuality has not been a huge issue in Rupert's career ... acting and talent has been the issue ... he like to blaim his lack of talent and acting ability on his sexuality but he should just own up to the fact that that is his failing ... it's most likely his ego that has also held him back.

Posted by: Dale | Jul 2, 2014 10:35:03 AM

17. Did he use Bruce Jenner's plastic Surgeon?

Posted by: HereinDC | Jul 2, 2014 10:43:43 AM

18. He has always been an idiot and now he sounds more ridiculous than ever.

While he was busy telling the world he was owed a career due to his immense talent but denied it because he was gay, an entire generation of gay actors has gone about their business and become the stars he was never fit to be. Enough already, Rupert.

Posted by: oncemorefeeling | Jul 2, 2014 10:45:58 AM

19. I've lost count of the number of times that gay friends in London have told me stories of Rupert Everett essentially embarrassing himself in and around Soho. He's got a terrible reputation within the gay community of London, most of all for being a tragic mess when he's out in public.

Actors who are well liked and respected get work. Although Mr. Everett might want to blame it all on his sexuality, I think his personality gets in the way. I don't wish bad things for him, but he needs to get professional help... badly.

Posted by: GMB | Jul 2, 2014 10:49:21 AM

20. He's had more success as a stage actor than on film, which is nothing to be ashamed of; his recent Oscar Wilde in The Judas Kiss was really fine. I suspect his Salieri will be excellent. Also, he writes awfully well. It's too bad that he chooses to see his career in terms of what he hasn't achieved.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jul 2, 2014 10:50:57 AM

21. Atomic nails it.

I think Rupert's been going to Isabelle Adjani's plastic surgeon.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 2, 2014 10:58:25 AM

22. God, I wouldn't have guess that was him for $500.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Jul 2, 2014 11:00:13 AM

23. However much talent he may or may not have had -- I make no judgement on that -- he seems unwilling to accept his own role in his so-called failure to thrive. It might not be a lack of talent or homophobia which held him back, but rather a toxic personality.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jul 2, 2014 11:03:58 AM

24. He's still more truthful and talented then you will ever be.....Trolls.

Posted by: styler | Jul 2, 2014 11:04:24 AM

25. Note to self. If Bruce Jenner gives you the name & number of his plastic surgeon, throw it away.

Posted by: Jeff Matchan | Jul 2, 2014 11:05:36 AM