Rupert Everett: Sexuality Has Been A Huge Issue In My Career – VIDEO

Rupert everett

In a recent interview, actor Rupert Everett has said that his sexuality has been a major issue throughout his career.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Everett said:

“There’s only a certain amount of mileage you can make, as a young pretender, as a leading man, as a homosexual. There just isn’t very far you can go.”

Everett has courted controversy in the past by telling gay actors to stay in the closet and for coming out against same-sex families.

Currently in rehearsals for Peter Schaffer’s Amadeus at the Chichester Festival Theatre, London, Everett said of his role:

“I can see a lot of [Antonio Salieri ] in me. I have periods of intense bitterness and fury at the world and blame-throwing at everybody else. It’s a very easy thing to get into.”

On his problems with addiction, Everett says:

“I’m still probably not in the position to say 'no’. If you got out a gram of coke now and offered me a line, I’m sure I’d take one. But I wouldn’t seek one out and I know it’s not going to get me any place much. Weed, which I adore, I had to stop smoking, if only for learning Amadeus.”

The actor also talks candidly about how promiscuity in his early life had him terrified that he had contracted HIV.

In case you missed it, watch Everett's BBC interview in which he tells young gay actors to stay in the closet, AFTER THE JUMP…

Comments

1. Tigernan says

You missed out on all the gay roles because you thought you were too good for them, then burned a lot of bridges by calling everyone homophobes – then got that ridiculous face sewn on you to try again, and now you’re bitter because you missed out on the new gay roles. Sorry Rupe – if you try to be anyone but who you are, you end up nobody.

2. jason MacBride says

Rupert’s personality and constant whining have been bigger issues in his career.

3. bandanajack says

perhaps he was just born to soon, and courted too heavily. a decent enough actor, his sense of entitlement and his lack of drive have sabotaged him at every turn. who even hires someone who candidly states that he would do some lines of coke if it was offered to him. his looks and his talent effectively wasted. sad.

4. radtastic says

Being a conceited insufferable prat has been a MUCH bigger issue in his career.

5. atomic says

So, Neil Patrick Harris, Sir Ian McKellen, Zachary Quinto, Jonathan Groff, Matt Bomer, Chris Colfer, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Cheyenne Jackson, Jim Parsons, Nathan Lane, and John Barrowman should all have stayed in the closet?

Mr. Everett, I have some news for you: the only reason why you are a failure is because you keep blaming your sexuality for your lack of employment, rather than the real reason, which is that you’re a self-loathing, miserable, bitter, unreliable drug addict. There are plenty of successful, major out gay male actors in entertainment these days. That’s not to say there isn’t continued discrimination or that these actors have access to the kind of superstar, leading man roles that straight men do, but let’s be honest here. Rupert Everett is a washed-up has-been, and the only reason why he makes the news these days is because of his incendiary self-hate and ceaseless whining.

6. JackFknTwist says

@ ATOMIC :

It’s a sad commentary on a once promising actor, but you are absolutely correct.

7. Amell says

The fact is his success at playing posh spoiled types or comic villians simply puts things into perspective, that he’s a two or three note Charlie. One of those notes is not an action hero so he was unable to capitalize on that genre like Bruce Willis, Sylvester Stallone or Arnold. It is hugely apparent that of the three actors in the film version of Another Country only Colin Firth and Cary Elwes have any range.

8. MaryM says

What’s he babbling on about – he has had quite a decent career – certainly better than most working actors – gay or straight.

‘Another Country'; ‘Dance with a stranger'; ‘An Ideal husbamd'; ‘My best friend’s wedding'; ‘Inspector Gadget’ etc.

He may be bitter as his disgusting plastic surgery makes him look deformed now.

9. Hrm says

Here we go again, with him blaming being gay instead of his talent level, despite the fact that numerous more capable actors get straight roles who are far younger AND older than him.

10. Matt27 says

He looks different. I don’t see him as a leading man, as someone here pointed out, he always seemed to play the same character. (I’ve seen him in the clubs in London years ago and I think his is right about his fear of having stds.)

11. Dale says

Sexuality has not been a huge issue in Rupert’s career … acting and talent has been the issue … he like to blaim his lack of talent and acting ability on his sexuality but he should just own up to the fact that that is his failing … it’s most likely his ego that has also held him back.

12. oncemorefeeling says

He has always been an idiot and now he sounds more ridiculous than ever.

While he was busy telling the world he was owed a career due to his immense talent but denied it because he was gay, an entire generation of gay actors has gone about their business and become the stars he was never fit to be. Enough already, Rupert.

13. GMB says

I’ve lost count of the number of times that gay friends in London have told me stories of Rupert Everett essentially embarrassing himself in and around Soho. He’s got a terrible reputation within the gay community of London, most of all for being a tragic mess when he’s out in public.

Actors who are well liked and respected get work. Although Mr. Everett might want to blame it all on his sexuality, I think his personality gets in the way. I don’t wish bad things for him, but he needs to get professional help… badly.

14. Profe Sancho Panza says

He’s had more success as a stage actor than on film, which is nothing to be ashamed of; his recent Oscar Wilde in The Judas Kiss was really fine. I suspect his Salieri will be excellent. Also, he writes awfully well. It’s too bad that he chooses to see his career in terms of what he hasn’t achieved.

15. Alex Parrish says

However much talent he may or may not have had — I make no judgement on that — he seems unwilling to accept his own role in his so-called failure to thrive. It might not be a lack of talent or homophobia which held him back, but rather a toxic personality.

16. Jeff Matchan says

Note to self. If Bruce Jenner gives you the name & number of his plastic surgeon, throw it away.

17. AJ says

He’s completely unrecognizable. We also never hear anything from him unless it is yet another cringe-worthy statement about being gay. Get over yourself, dude. Please.

18. Jack M says

Wow, he’s more of a mess that all the Kardashians rolled into one. He needs to double up on the therapy and sue his plastic surgeon. He used to be a handsome man. I’d guess and say the drugs were responsible for most of his problems.

19. Mike says

I used to really like him, like from the very beginning of his career. However, for the last decade or so, all I remember him from is his bitterness. Move on, Rupert. Move on. Your life isn’t over unless you keep looking back all the time and never look forward.

20. says

I wonder how much harder things would have been for him had he been gay and non-white, eh?

it’s not news that there’s a glass ceiling for actors who are not straight, white and male.

the good news? it’s all part of the progressive evolution – more roles are being given to non-white actors in major roles, in interesting roles, and more LGBT characters are being written – eventually they’ll even start letting “us” play them more often.

21. MichaelJ says

Anyone who has some accomplished something in their careers should keep in mind what Profe Sancho Panza wrote: “It’s too bad that he [Everett] chooses to see his career in terms of what he hasn’t achieved.” Whether Everett has done so out of self-loathing, an unfulfilled sense of entitlement, or both, it is sad.

22. iban4yesu says

Marym, the list goes on… Importance of Being Earnest, and he was glorious in Comfort of strangers, even though the film itself was rather homophobic just the way some of Paul Schraders works tend to be (Taxi Driver, American Gigolo, that thing with Greg Kinnear).

I’m afraid Rupert’s work as a prostitute in Paris has impacted his sexuality. I am glad that he is still working at least in theater; I would love to pay top dollar to see him playing Salieri, comparing it the screen Salieri (The other day I met a Czeck lady who was an extra in Amadeus which was shot in her Prague! I would have loved frolicking around the young Tom Hulce!! Lol)

23. Daniel says

Sexuality may have had a lot to do with his career–I think being a jerk had a lot more to do with his career.

24. Steve says

I stopped watching after a minute. But for God’s sake: if you’re going to be on TV, don’t wear running shoes, and especially not light grey ones with a black outfit. Revoke his gay card damnit.

And I concur with the rest of the commenters here. His bitterness and drug use sound like a far bigger problem than industry homophobia.

25. RR says

Rupert Everett is a perfect example of white male privilege. “The milkman and a Duke”

The sense the one gets is that he feels there are things that he should have a right to have.

I like him as an actor but his public personae is a terrific and enormous BORE!

26. JeffNYC says

This is NOT Rupert Everett!

What have the aliens done with the real Rupert Everett?

27. Marshall says

Bad plastic surgery that rendered him unrecognizable was probably also a hindrance.

28. Rich says

He never demonstrated much more than a capacity for the “gay best friend” role. His memoir is coy about sex and ridiculously judgmental about other people and places. I’m guessing that he never impressed anyone as a “serious” performer.

The other Rupert (Graves) is a much better actor.

29. John in Iowa says

Even though Mr. Everett has always credited Oscar Wilde as being a huge influence in his life, he seems totally unaware of this quote from Mr. Wilde: “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

30. BrokebackBob says

Rupert needs to go back to school and get a new profession and get out of show business, he’s just not suited for it. I suggest a good honest embalming/cremation technical college.

31. AlexN says

Why do gay people have an expectation that all gay people should share a universal point of view of homogenization and integration? You are becoming as small-minded as your former foes. Let people express themselves! Be repulsed! Be inspired! Don’t accuse an actor of whining when you essentially do the same in your comments, but to much less of an audience. Rupert Everett is a contradiction, but he is also an example of the middle aged gay man in today’s society. He speaks quite openly and honestly, and makes certain to express that these are HIS opinions. There are a lot of looney and bitter gay men over the age of forty who feel quite invisible, and this is simply the perpetuation of what has happened to previous generations. We are the ones who need to change at this point. We are becoming a community of self-entitled naysayers obsessed with superficiality. It’s so boring. Now let the vitriol flow.

32. mslewis says

I think someone posted the wrong photo. That cannot be Rupert Everett. What a mess he’s made of his face. I think he could have aged gracefully and possibly gotten some older men roles but now he just looks comical. Poor Rupert. I used to be a fan.

P.S.: He still seems to hate himself. So sad.

33. Rin says

Rupert’s leading man days were during a time where it would have been unthinkable to give a gay man the lead, so cut him some slack.

Gay men unless they are SUPER actors like Sir Ian or unless they play it cheeky like NPH don’t get the romantic male lead with females.

There is a believability issue because most people nowadays are just not that good at acting. Where are the Colin Firth’s in the younger generation? Or the Sir Ian McKlellans?

34. graphicjack says

I think if he would have been a kinder person, without as many demons, and a better actor, (though he can be good in a small range of roles) he could have been a leading man in a more accepting time like today. He was certainly excessively handsome, though not in a rugged, hyper-masculine way, like, say, Jason Statham. His career was going well, but he ended up in a couple of crappy films like Inspector Gadget and The Next Best Thing and the roles in film dried up. He didn’t help matters by the awful plastic surgery… such a shame because I’m sure he would have looked naturally handsome at any age. For what it’s worth, I’m not sure why he’s complaining… he had as good a run as many actors have ever had. If he’s getting great roles like Salieri in Amedeus on stage, that’s pretty impressive, especially in London where theatre is everything. He just needs to accept that life sometimes doesn’t work out as planned, but it can still be wonderful and rewarding. I hope he can come to that place someday.

35. BrokebackBob says

Why does he look different? Time marches on and bad plastic surgery. He looks like he could use about 1000 gallons of moisturizer and some toothpicks to help him keep his eyes open. He should stalk and zap that surgeon.