Florida Church That Cancelled Gay Man’s Funeral Receives Swift Internet Backlash

Evans

On Friday, we reported on the small Tampa-area church that hastily cancelled funeral arrangements for Julion Evans last month after discovering he was gay and married to another man. The pastor of the church made the abrupt announcement to Evans' mother the day before the funeral, with the pastor saying it would have been "blasphemous" for a gay man's funeral to take place inside the church.

Since news broke, the church, New Hope Missionary Baptist, has been forced to take town their website and contact information following a flood of negative comments and reviews.

Included in the set of 281 one-star reviews on Facebook:

• Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 12.16.13 PMDisgraceful. Utterly disgraceful and unforgivable. There are no "Christians" attending or acting as Pastor at this church. To cancel a man's funeral, simply because you and your "flock" do not agree with or like Homosexuals is beyond evil. A persons life before they have died has no baring on their right to a funeral. Do you refuse to hold funeral services for murderers? Adultors? Unwed mothers? People who have pre-maritial sex? All of these are also "sins" in the Bible but you don't refuse to grant these people a funeral at your church. You are all hypocrites and you disgust me.
  • Christian = Christ like; There is nothing Christ like about what this Church just did. I am appalled that this should occur in a place were the compassion of Christ should be seen most. Shame on this place!
  • True evil. So glad that I don't call myself a christian anymore, because churches like yours that are so exclusive and show none of God's love.

[via The New Civil Rights Movement]

Comments

1. says

Good. Keep up the pressure. I hope the whole church is forced to shut down. Anyone attending or considered a member of this church should leave immediately. Fund donations should dry up as quickly as possible. Disgusting. To equate a gay person with less than human status and dignity is unforgivable. The people of America need to run every religion that discriminates against gay people out of this country.

2. says

it’s what’s gonna happen – the more they swing anti-gay the more backlash they’ll get from the growing numbers of people who’ve made the great mental leap from the dark ages.

i look at my (straight) friends in life – and almost all, the vast majority, are refusing to raise their own children in the religions that they themselves were raised – simply put: they’ve known LGBT people, they’ve grown up with gay friends and bonded and connected and know that (yes!) their own children may very well be gay – so they will not, in any circumstances, raise them in environments that are not progressive and compassionate and intelligent.

3. odee says

“The people of America need to run every religion that discriminates against gay people out of this country.”

I believe that would be all of the the major ones.

4. stranded says

It’s so satisfying reading their facebook comments. People are flooding it with condemnation of this hypocricy. Despite neanderthal religions, our culture is evolving. My thoughts go out to these grieving family and friends and I hope they can take pride in exposing those who preach intolerance and self-righteousness.

5. oakpope says

John : some vegetarian are murderers. So all vegetarian are murderers. There are stupid/’evil’ people everywhere, in any religions, cultures, countries. To blame all for some is not being fair.

6. northalabama says

@oakpope – to be fair, if your theory is correct, and this isn’t the dominating opinion of most major religions, then where’s the backlash from churches separating themselves from these views?

crickets…

7. ascanius says

join the freedom from religion foundation today. only $40 a year. their legal department is at the forefront of challenging religious overreach and privilege.

8. NoH8 says

Dear Pastor Jenkins: Our plan worked better than even I could have imagined! You have helped me turn more people away from the Christian Church than I would have thought possible. I especially loved the way you picked on the homosexuals who love one another while ignoring (and continuing to bury) the adulterers, thieves and wife-beaters! I look forward to giving you the reward we agreed upon. See you in hell! LOL — your friend, The Prince of Darkness

9. Bernie says

This story has been very painful and sad for me to even respond to when a so called Christian church/pastor tells a mother they can’t hold her son’s funeral there because he is gay………..The facebook comments above say it all….I am heart broken for this mother and I only hope that the mother can find some peace while trying to bury her child

10. Bernie says

11. pete n sfo says

I guess the Pastor must be tired of the Katholics stealing all the hate-filled-glory.

Way to carry the message of “god”, dude. There’s a bonus coming to you at Xmas; I’m just certain of it.

D-bag….

12. yeah says

I hope the pastor of this church has the humility and strength to apologize to the family, the community, and to God. That’s the only thing left to salvage what can be salvaged here.

13. Charles says

It is so sad to see this happen to the young man, his spouse, and family. Just so sad. However, it happened for a reason, to expose the hate that is taught in the church by some ministers and their congregation.

14. Mr Eric G. Osterberg says

Where has this pastor been? This is 2014 and he should be preaching that God loves all people to his congregation. Religion will continue to fail as long as its leaders preach hate.