Australia | Film and TV | Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Quotes | Television | Video

Gay Couple To Live With Homophobic Pastor For New Documentary Series - VIDEO

Living with the enemy

A gay couple in Australia will live with a homophobic pastor as part of a new documentary series that aims to "test Australian values", reports Same Same.

The first episode of Living with the Enemy, examining the issue of marriage equality, will see Melbourne couple Michael Barnett and Gregory Storer living with David, an Anglican minister who does not agree with same-sex marriage.

The trailer suggests that things get fairly explosive.

The episode is due to air on September 3rd.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This looks good! :-)

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 5, 2014 10:15:23 AM

2. I hope some good will come from this.

Posted by: Hawthorne | Aug 5, 2014 10:20:38 AM

3. Morgan Spurlock of Supersize Me fame did a similar twist on this with his series 30 Days in which a Mormon mother spent 30 days living with a gay male couple raising their own family.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Aug 5, 2014 10:26:08 AM

4. Anglican ministers are usually more moderate, open, and less homophobic - I wonder what happened to this guy in Australia.

Posted by: David From Canada | Aug 5, 2014 10:30:35 AM

5. It would be a lot more fun to put a pastor in with a gay crowd than the other way around...

there's a reason we don't hang with those folks... they're BORING! I pity the folks in editing b/c they've got their work cut out for them (pun intended) :)

Posted by: pete n sfo | Aug 5, 2014 10:31:41 AM

6. Morgan Spurlock did this in 2005 with his 30 Days Series "Straight Man in a Gay World".

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Aug 5, 2014 10:55:30 AM

7. I wouldn't call it a documentary.
    From the trailer it looks like a pretty standard reality TV format, and we all know how much "reality" we can expect there.
    It's basically wife swap.

Posted by: Tim | Aug 5, 2014 10:58:39 AM

8. "The trailer suggests that things get fairly explosive." Which means it will be sad an boring. Shows are NEVER as exciting as the trailers make them appear to be.

Posted by: Ted | Aug 5, 2014 11:13:51 AM

9. It's exactly Wife Swap. Guess there are no new ideas left in the world.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 5, 2014 11:22:50 AM

10. did this guy catch the MeriKKKan Evangelical disease?

Posted by: disgusted american | Aug 5, 2014 11:40:33 AM

11. Just like Hamas..This gives the pastor a platform to spew his hate...This is media hoeing...nothing moves forward with these sad public displays....

Posted by: rochon | Aug 5, 2014 12:03:37 PM

12. The gay guys look kinda sleazy, too bad they aren't the clean cut type. They're too repellant to be ambassadors at a time when Australian gays are seeking wider acceptance. Very bad PR. You don't win hearts with leftovers.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 5, 2014 12:31:50 PM

13. A gay guy like me would be a better ambassador. I'm ugly, so I'll never be seen with a male partner and thus won't ever have to make people in my presence deal with seeing "homosexuality in action", and I'm a complete coward so I'll go along with whatever the bigots say. Just like I did with my own family, who refuse to acknowledge my existence.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 5, 2014 12:36:15 PM

14. These posts by KIWI under my name are amusing. His attempt at mimicry is laughably transparent, i.e. the foregoing UFFDA is not genuine, like KIWI himself.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 5, 2014 1:28:32 PM

15. I'm so genuine that I'm an anonymous internet presence. But I stand by my assertion that I'd have been the best gay role model ever. I'm not remotely sleazy, as I'm so repulsive I've never had the opportunity to get with another man.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 5, 2014 1:38:49 PM

16. Bwahahaha. KIWI the lowdown comic.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 5, 2014 1:44:37 PM

17. A poster at the samesame.com link claims the homophobic pastor is using the series "to soapbox experience of his brother who is a 'reformed homosexual'."

Also, why are they calling it a "documentary series." Looks like reality crap, which actually has scads of editors working behind the scenes to script a story that showcases as much "explosive" conflict into the narrative as possible.

Posted by: Retro | Aug 5, 2014 8:12:36 PM

18. @ David From Canada : what "happened to this guy" is easy to explain. All Anglican ministers don't hold precisely identical views. Whoever set up the program probably hired a few guys to go around beating the bushes until they found the most unreasonable minister they could get their hands on and who would be willing to appear on this program.

Then, of course, there's the possibility of hamming it up for the audience. The produces know the audience wants to see fireworks.

Posted by: Bill | Aug 6, 2014 1:32:50 AM