Joan Rivers | News

Joan Rivers Rushed to Hospital After She Stops Breathing During Surgery: REPORT

Rivers

Joan Rivers is in critical condition after being rushed to a NYC hospital after she stopped breathing while having throat surgery at a clinic, TMZ reports:

We're told Rivers was undergoing the throat procedure in a clinic (specifically on her vocal chords) ... when she stopped breathing during the surgery.

Sources say 81-year-old Rivers was rushed to Mount Sinai hospital in New York.

We're told her daughter Melissa is on her way to New York.

According to TMZ, a 911 caller said of Rivers: "We have somebody in either cardiac or respiratory arrest."

ABC News adds:

The New York City Fire Department transported a woman matching her description to Mt. Sinai Hospital earlier this morning after receiving a call that the woman was in cardiac arrest at an Upper East Side clinic, Yorkville Endoscopy, an FDNY source said.

The NY Daily News adds:

“She’s not conscious, but she’s stable,” said an obviously distraught Graham Reed, the comedian’s assistant. Reed refused to provide any details when approached by a reporter.

But the family source said friends were gathering Thursday inside Rivers’ apartment. “She would want us all to laugh,” the source said. “But at the moment, we are all praying.”

Developing...

Comments

1. I hope she recovers, but as she's pointed out many times, she's addicted to plastic surgery, and all surgery is potentially very dangerous, particularly for the elderly.

Posted by: anon | Aug 28, 2014 12:20:51 PM

2. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Or something...

Posted by: Mastik8 | Aug 28, 2014 12:28:32 PM

3. Maybe this would have been sad if she hadn't just ranted about how innocent civilians in Palestine deserved to be blown up a few weeks ago.. seems like karma to me.

Posted by: JMC | Aug 28, 2014 12:30:49 PM

4. This makes me sick. I have been around Joan so many times and she has always been nothing short of a legend and genuine, kindhearted human being. She is bawdy, she is hilarious and her heart is overflowing. She is truly one of my favorite people on the planet.

Pull through, you crazy old broad! We love you!

Posted by: Marc | Aug 28, 2014 12:37:57 PM

5. Walk it off Joan! We love ya!

Posted by: Keith | Aug 28, 2014 12:43:30 PM

6. Maybe she choked on her own bile?

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Aug 28, 2014 12:43:35 PM

7. Best wishes to this old girl. I hope she makes it. We've lost too many lately.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 28, 2014 1:05:52 PM

8. We love you Joan! Get well soon so you can give them all more hell!

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 28, 2014 1:24:16 PM

9. JMC - So, what you're saying is that you should be hit by a bus, then, for your own comments. Is that karma too?

Get well, Joanie, we need you.

Posted by: Robert | Aug 28, 2014 1:51:08 PM

10. Joan can't die she's 50% polyester and 50% styrene and besides we love her too much.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Aug 28, 2014 2:03:11 PM

11. Speedy recovery Joan! I have met her a few times and she was incredibly kind and has brought many smiles to my face!

Posted by: Daniel | Aug 28, 2014 2:05:33 PM

12. We happened to be caught in a crowd together once. She held on to me for a bit. She was so sweet and generous of spirit. She's on the side of the underdog and little people. It's the haves she goes after.

Posted by: Markt | Aug 28, 2014 2:39:05 PM

13. More importantly..."Who is she wearing"?

Posted by: Joe | Aug 28, 2014 2:49:28 PM

14. She's a REPUBLICAN. The only good Republican is a DEAD one.

Joan is ALL about Joan & Joan's bank account and avoiding paying any taxes. The world is a better place without that horrible kind of person. It would be no loss if she didn't recover.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 28, 2014 3:21:32 PM

15. Your headline should have been: Senior citizen big mouth finally shuts up for 5 minutes. Still don't know why she's gay news.

Posted by: Terry | Aug 28, 2014 3:26:26 PM

16. Sounds like Icebloo just got back from the mailbox and that gubment checkie just isn't in the mail today. (rips open another HO-HO and back he goes to mom's basement)

Posted by: Mike | Aug 28, 2014 3:43:33 PM

17. Sounds like Icebloo just got back from the mailbox and that gubment checkie just isn't in the mail today. (rips open another HO-HO and back he goes to mom's basement)

Posted by: Mike | Aug 28, 2014 3:43:35 PM

18. I hope she recovers.

Even racists like Joan Rivers can change their evil attitudes (when I heard her laughing about Israel's widespread slaugher of Palestinian children, I shuddered.)

Posted by: MaryM | Aug 28, 2014 4:05:18 PM

19. Who do you agree with 100%? I'm guessing there's only one person. You may really not like her but to wish her dead is very disturbing.
    I think she's incredibly funny and sometimes she goes too far. I do, too!
    I'm hope she's around for a good long time.

Posted by: Steve Sando | Aug 28, 2014 4:20:24 PM

20. Death comes to all of us. Hopefully she'll pull through, and in such a way that her life will still be good, but if not, she has had a good life.

While I opposed some things she said, I think it's tasteless to say she somehow deserved a medical emergency to happen to her.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 28, 2014 5:03:17 PM

21. She'll recover. Heaven won't have her and Hell's afraid.

Posted by: LJC | Aug 28, 2014 6:55:47 PM

22. Wishing Joan a speedy recovery. Get well soon and then take it easy for a while.

Posted by: Mick | Aug 29, 2014 12:19:20 AM

23. My best wishes to you Joan on a full recovery.

Posted by: Carlos | Aug 29, 2014 12:39:33 AM

24. Boy, the Joan trolls are out today. Good for casual firearms training. Joan was having surgery on her vocal cords you idiots who thought she was having plastic surgery. She continues to be a top-flight comedian, host and all-around entertainer. I hope she recovers quickly and is back in the saddle with her team to make us all chuckle once more. Even the people she lambasts on her show Fashion Police love her.

Posted by: BrokebackBob | Aug 29, 2014 5:35:14 AM

25. It's hard to have any sympathy for an 81-year-old woman who gleefully declared that the Palestinians civilians (including little babies) "deserve to be dead".

Posted by: FRANK | Aug 29, 2014 10:24:02 AM