Michael Sam | News | NFL

Michael Sam Makes Historic NFL Preseason Debut: 'I Can Play in This League' - VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 11.26.10 AM

With 5 minutes, 13 seconds to go in the first quarter of a match-up against the St. Louis Rams and New Orleans Saints last night, Michael Sam became the first openly gay player in league history to participate in a NFL preseason game.

As defensive end, Sam played the rest of the first half and about halfway through the third quarter.

Watch Sam's debut, AFTER THE JUMP...

Although some scouts continue to question Sam's long-term professional potential, ESPN reports Sam's coach seemed pleased with his initial performance.

"Mike played hard," coach Jeff Fisher said. "I didn't watch him individually but I saw him on the hurry and the great effort outside the pocket. Saw him on a couple other plays. He slid down and made a play in the run game that stood out. We'll watch the tape and see how he did."

The Rams ultimately lost the game 26-24, but Sam said he had some valuable takeaways from the night:

"That I can play in this league," Sam said. "That's the most important. I was kind of nervous. I got some nerves out today. It was a very good learning experience, and I can play in this league."

He added:

"The hardest critic is me, myself. I think I could have done a little bit better. I'm not mad about my first game, but I know I could have done better."

Sam will have three more preseason chances to secure a spot on the Rams' roster before the season starts in September.

Comments

1. Thattaboy Mike! Keep playing hard and you'll earn a permanent spot on that team! We are all standing proudly behind you!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Aug 9, 2014 12:04:03 PM

2. Thattaboy Mike! Keep playing hard and you'll earn a permanent spot on that team! We are all standing proudly behind you!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Aug 9, 2014 12:04:03 PM

3. So proud of Sam, so very proud. Great job Michael! (Now marry Vinny! Big wedding!)

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 9, 2014 12:10:02 PM

4. Way to Go Michael Sam -PS his b/f is VITO

Posted by: slippy | Aug 9, 2014 12:20:09 PM

5. It's to bad he's just a mediocre player.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 9, 2014 12:38:15 PM

6. good for him

Posted by: shepherd | Aug 9, 2014 12:40:37 PM

7. I don't give a flying f*ck about Amurica's true religion, football, but this is a major turning point for gays being seen as equal, not less than. The biggest hurtles we still face all watch football, and once they see that a queer can do and does the same things they do or like, they will change!

Posted by: Kenneth | Aug 9, 2014 1:29:03 PM

8. Good luck to you, Michael Sam. Play hard, stay focused. There's a place for you in the NFL. Wishing you much success in your professional career.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 9, 2014 1:31:02 PM

9. So jealous of his bf

Posted by: Alain | Aug 9, 2014 5:49:25 PM

10. Jesus christ, who the F*CK can live under this scrutiny?? Haven't they learned from Robbie Rogers in the soccer league? How he played badly under this enormous LGBT spotlight??!!

Cyd Zeigler is being relentless in his comments on Sam. It's like spying. Every negative thing he says, even if he is looking too much into something.

Like so many activists, it's all about HIM. Sam proving people wrong will show Zeigler's Dad and all those other straight men that gay men like Cyd are not lesser then.

I just hope Sam is smart enough to just spot things for what they are. I'm not saying Cyd is the anti-christ but these guys....

I've seen it with Matt Bomer. Whether it was practically gagging him so he was like this puppet to not spoil ANY fans from falling in love with him so that he would be that heart breaker. The first mainstream gay heart throb that women love.

Good luck to them all!

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 9, 2014 5:50:03 PM

11. Rowan, I'm friends with Cyd and Jim, who run Outsports. I used to do some work on the site back in the 2000's as well.

Cyd co-runs a sports site for gay men, why *wouldn't* he give Sam a bunch of coverage? This is easily one of the most important things that has happened for athletes who are gay ever, it's a little silly to expect Outsports to have one item noting that.

Robbie Rogers was a total idiot in the way he handled his situation, I have zero sympathy for him. He was a mediocre player with a history of injuries when he came out, it made him look like a media whore. He then proceeded to quit playing so he could become a fashion designer, only later indicating he wanted to play in the MLS. Again, what was Outsports supposed to do?

Posted by: Henry Holland | Aug 9, 2014 6:18:15 PM