PA Bakery Owner Cites Desire to ‘Stand True to God’ In Her Refusal to Bake Gay Couple’s Wedding Cake: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 8.56.34 AM

A popular bakery in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania is making headlines after denying a wedding cake to a gay couple, WFMZ reports:

Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 9.04.42 AMBethany and Jennifer Petrich now have to make a change of plans for a ceremony to renew their vows, WBRE reported. The women wanted to get a cake from The Cake Pros, a bakery in Schuylkill Haven.

"I loved the work they did and it tasted great. It's a hometown bakery. I wanted to support my hometown," said Jennifer Petrich. "My mom, who is planning our wedding, called and made the appointment for us. It was okay at that time and she was open and honest and said it's for Bethany and Jennifer."

But the women say things took a not-so-sweet turn when Jennifer's mom received a phone call.

"They had called and said to her that they were a Christian bakery and the owner had talked to Jesus for two weeks and that because it was two females getting married she couldn't make our cake," said Jennifer.

Watch an Eyewitness News report on the story, AFTER THE JUMP

Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 8.52.55 AMSaid bakery owner Lorraine Fleming:

"I'm not sorry for my decision and I feel strong. I know that I'm doing the right thing…It was hard to do. We have homosexuality in our family and it was a hard decision to make. But in the end, when I die and am one-on-one with God, I have to stand true to him"

Fleming said since news got out of her refusal, her employees have faced harassment and she has been forced to take down the cake shop's Facebook page.

Last week, we reported on a similar story out of Columbia County, Pennsylvania – where a bridal store turned away a lesbian couple looking to buy wedding gowns.

Pennsylvania remains one of the 29 states without a comprehensive, sexual orientation-inclusive non-discrimination law on the books.

Comments

1. HadenoughBS says

I’m so glad to read that since Jesus apparently forgot to say anything negative about the LGBT community during his lifetime so it could become part of The Gospels, he had a chance to correct this oversight and condemn us during his recent two-week talk with Christian baker Lorraine Fleming. Perhaps newly-revealed bigot Fleming can write a new Gospel incorporating “why to hate the gays according to Jesus”. Oh, wait, she couldn’t be delusional about her “Jesus talk” could she? Nah, I didn’t think so.

2. ToThePoint says

“We have homosexuality in our family”????????????????????? Like it’s a f*cking disease. I hope the gays in your family have told you where to get off and how to do it as well. Christian my *ss! More like judgment that their so-called god has deemed a sin. So, in their own eyes, their sin is not different from any other and they will be joining us in hell. So if they want to go to heaven, then they must stop the judgment. I am sure they do not want to spend eternity in hell-fire with us disgusting and vile gays. This is why the world is turning away from religion. The hypocrisy is sickening.

3. anon says

When she dies and is one-on-one with her God, she will be reminded of Matthew 25:40that

‘ 40″The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’ 41″Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;…

4. CoopersDads says

Important to realize, coming from someone who lives in PA, that the bakery and bridal shop are in the same county as the clerk who will not give up her insane fight to stop marriage here. None of us in PA acknowledge that that part of PA is actually part of our state.

5. JackFknTwist says

I understand.
    It’s ‘the voices’. They just keep talking . But two weeks of talking to Jesus whether to bake or not to bake give Hamlet’s procrastination respectability.
    “When I die and am one-on-one with god I have to stand true to him.”

Well well, the god who made the galaxies and the spiral nebulae and the black holes of gravitational oblivion, that god is concerned about that cake you baked in Pennsylvania years ago.

These are the ones who have no soul……any sense of the spiritual, of the wonder and beauty of the world and her fellow beings is non existent.
    In short she is an ignoramus.

6. Skraight to hell says

“…But in the end, when I die and am one-on-one with God, I have to stand true to him.”

I think Jeebus gonna send her skraight to hell for failing to “judge not lest she be judged”, and for failing “to love her neighbor as she love herself.”

7. Hank NYC says

BIGOT! Did you ask your god about baking a wedding cake for a pregnant woman? Did you ask about baking for previously divorced people getting married? Do you ask each bride to be if she is a virgin? Hell woman – do you wear pants and mixed fabrics? And if we really want to get biblical – why are you even speaking?

You pick and choose which scriptures you feel like following – and then your ignorance shows and your bigotry becomes clear as the darkness of your soul.

BIGOT!

8. woody says

“we have homosexuality in our family…”
    that’s like saying “we have breast cancer in our family.”
    ugh… I pity anyone going to thanksgiving dinner at her house.

9. 1♥ says

So, with all the wars and suffering in the world and Jesus is more concerned about a cake for two women in love.

When is the homophobia ever too hateful for the Christians?

10. JackFknTwist says

Memo to Towleroad :

Do a piece on Sir Cliff Richard, of England, Christian and Born Again holier than thou Jesus lover……now being investigated for sexual assault on a boy !

Oh, these ‘born agains’, always in the lights condemning the gays, always hiding their own deep down proclivities.

11. gregorybrown says

Jesus must grow weary having to listen to all the drivel talked at him. His attention prefers to be elsewhere, on issues meriting love and compassion and the propagation of those qualities among people everywhere.

12. Gigi says

This baker says she prayed for two weeks and that Jesus told her to refuse service to these two women? I doubt that very much. That sounds like Satan, not Jesus.

Ephesians 4:32, “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” Jesus was kind and never refused to sever anyone. In fact, despite the fact that His disciples wanted Him to turn them away, Jesus fed 5,000 men from just two fish and five loaves of bread (Matthew 6:30-44).

ROMANS 2:1, “You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgement do the same things .” We’re all sinners. We have no right to Judge others.

James 2:10, “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.” The “sin police” spend a great deal of time condemning others but while they’re running around telling us to uphold every law, they’re breaking them all if they break just one. They need to stop worshiping their Bibles, or stop believing what men tell then the Bible says, and get right with Jesus.

13. Jere says

Again, Schuylkill County, PA is making the news, just like the register of wills idiot who was fighting the marriage ban. I grew up in this county and was just up there last week for my mother’s funeral. Sadly, Schuylkill County still looks incredibly backwards, dirty, bland, and like they just crawled out of 1950. Sad, sad, sad.

14. Daniel says

You know what, I wouldn’t want her to make my wedding cake. I also wouldn’t ever buy any croissants or coffee from her.

Why can’t she just say, “I’m sorry I’m unavailable” like a human being.

15. Disgusted American says

my aunt left me her house in Potter county – a singlehome, 3 bdrm, 2 fireplaces,1.5 bthrms, family room,deck, a shed 20 x 40ft on 10 acres….but because of it’s awful location in Racistville Pa., I could Only sell it for 140k …….

16. Bruce says

“But in the end, when I die and am one-on-one with God, I have to stand true to him.” Here’s how that conversation is going to go. God: “My son said to love everybody. He did not say to love everybody but the gays. He said to love everybody. Period. But you didn’t, did you? And you have the gall to blame me for your bigotry? I don’t think so. Oh, and you know what my son DID say? He said that people who divorce and remarry are committing adultery. Yet I see you baking cakes for second and third weddings all the time. So, you’re not just a bigot, you’re a hypocrite. Request to enter the Pearly Gates denied. NEXT!”

17. northalabama says

when did bakeries begin requiring background checks for a customer’s eligibility to purchase cakes and pastries? oh, that’s right, they don’t – *unless* you’re openly gay, and honest.

all any gay couple nationwide would need for service from these bigots would be to have an opposite gender friend walk into the bakery with them, lie, then pick up the cake themselves. this is as much about chasing gays back into the closet as anything else, and it’s wrong.

it’s my sincere and deeply held belief this is nothing more than discrimination, period.

18. simon says

spg:
    As Sam Harris pointed out. If you stare at your breakfast and think the pancake is the body of Elvis Prestley, you are a lunatic. If your look at a wafer and think it is the body of Christ, you are just a Catholic.

19. Debase says

Is there some sociological phenomenon we need to know about bakers? Why such a high concentration of anti-gay_baker_bigots? It certainly seems that way anyway. Is it that bakers are generally less educated, or more insular? Do people who look for comfort in religion the most also look for comfort in sweets at a higher degree? Does working with carbs all the time make you stupid? I don’t get it. It’s like an army of bakers, all united in NOT serving gays. Weird.

More and more, this anti-gay tidal wave crossing the earth is making me want to just let my passport expire and never get a new one.

It’s baffling that this bigot thinks a one-on-one with god would go well! – and that she thinks her 2 week ‘conversation’ with Jesus was anything more than a self reflexive thought experiment.

If I were the gay relative of that woman — lol — Would she ever regret her decision. It would be like when Bugs Bunny gets kicked in the ass and says “Of course you realize, this means war!” I would make conducting business impossible for her (just a suggestion for any of her gay relatives who may be reading this here).

20. Randy says

“We have homosexuality in our family and it was a hard decision to make”

Apparently you also have Christianity in your family.

That’s something that can be cured.

21. WeHo says

Any business, except for those that provide medical services, should be able to discriminate against anyone they choose. That’s their right.

Personally, I would hate to have to provide a service to someone I don’t wish to do business with.

On the other hand, it’s our right to publicize that bonehead decision to everyone we choose. Make their business decision public.

22. OHEW says

@WEHO
    “should be able to” – Thankfully it’s NOT UP TO YOU.

“business… should be able to discriminate against anyone they choose” – A society, a civilization, could not function on this.

You’re too stupid to see it. You WEHO, are more like a chimp than higher primates like bonobos or humans that can function in a society. You should be in a cage.

23. says

@WEHO: If you think any business should have the right to discriminate, then you’re saying you don’t believe in non-discrimination laws. In other words, whites-only lunch counters are ok. That may be your opinion, but it’s only “their right” (or your right) if the law says it is.

PA, however, does have public accommodations laws–they just happen not to cover sexual orientation. So it’s legal in PA for this religious bigot to turn away gay customers, but it’s illegal for a gay baker to turn away religious bigots. She’s protected by PA law, we aren’t.

24. WeHo says

OHEW and Ernie … Imagine this:

A small town somewhere, there are two bakeries. At one of them, gay men and lesbians can’t purchase a wedding cake.

The other bakery learns of this and the next day posts a banner that says “We bake cakes for everyone.” Then they get TV/newspaper coverage.

In this scenario, the inclusive bakery gets tons of positive feedback, and most people in the town would likely purchase from them. The non-inclusive bakery would likely lose business based on their intolerant views.

Sunshine is the best disinfectant.

(And I did that without name calling.)

25. Tarc says

I support the woman’s ability to choose not to make a gay couple’s wedding cake, just like I support not allowing her to continue being a business owner as long as she can’t fulfill the legal obligations of that role. It’s too bad she is so lacking in actual American values.

26. Bernie says

I’m going to speak to Jesus over the next few days and ask him to tell these bakers to make that cake…and then I will confirm with god that if this baker dies she can go to heaven with no reprisals for making a cake for a gay couple!!!

27. Marc says

Another stupid ass Christian treating people like crap in the hopes she’ll be rewarded for it after she die. Complete f’n idiot. I can’t stand people like this.

28. says

@WEHO: I’m all for gay-friendly businesses advertising their friendliness; I’d be more apt to visit a bakery that declares its openness than one that doesn’t. I also would rather know if a baker is homophobic, but I trust my instincts and a baker’s right to free speech there. I certainly agree that this couple calling attention to their treatment is both their right and the right thing to do. Now, other gay people in town will know their neighborhood baker’s true colors.

That said, I believe non-discrimination laws serve a purpose. And I certainly oppose the religious getting a special pass to discriminate and/or the religious being protected by non-discrimination laws while gay people are not, as is the case in PA.

29. simon says

Weho:
    I also doubt she will lose business and may actually gain more customers in certain parts of PA. e.g the district which elected Santorum.
    We may call it chick-fil-A effect.

30. james street james says

Wasn’t it Jesus who said, “Let them eat cake!”?

Or “cake for one, cake for all” or something like that?

She’s definitely not a good christian scholar.

And wasn’t it Jesus who went to a wedding and fed everyone with just one wedding cake? A miracle for sure.

I think the poor woman is confused.