Gay Games | News | Video

Same-Sex Ballroom Dancing At The Gay Games: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 11.11.27 AM

This year's Gay Games have made a big impact both in Ohio and nationwide. Here's a glimpse of why the sporting event is so unique, and why it attracts so much buzz.

"Dancesport," or ballroom dancing, is one of the most popular spectator sports at the Games. Perhaps this is because it's difficult to find ballroom dance competitions that include same-sex couples — often, gay couples are banned from mainstream competitions.

Outsports got to see dancesport first hand at the Games, and they got video of two women dancing with "fluidity and beauty."

Check it out for yourself, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Argentine Tango done to a quick, bouncy waltz? That must be a practice session.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 27, 2014 2:32:19 PM

2. I don't know what the big deal is about same sex dancing. This weekend we went to GGPark to film Swing dancers and to my surprise my husband joined in. Altho he did not dance with another guy there were plenty of same-sex couples dancing and no one batted an eye. Check out the two guys near the end of the video, they were seriously one of the better couples. You can see the video by clicking my name below.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Aug 27, 2014 2:47:43 PM

3. I like bowling better. Same-sex bowling is even better. :-)

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 27, 2014 2:50:15 PM

4. Cary, nobody wants to go look at your blog. Can you stop self promoting with every comment you make?

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 27, 2014 3:01:08 PM

5. Cary Chauvet, I loved your video. If that was Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, no, no one is going to bat an eye at two men dancing together. It's a different story, however, in many places.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 27, 2014 3:03:21 PM

6. Cary, I for one enjoyed that video. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: SeattleMike | Aug 27, 2014 3:29:17 PM

7. Then you shoulda been competing with us, Mike ;) Granted, gotta warn ya, I carry a 228 average, so I'm a tough customer! :P

But, honestly: the bowling events were a BLAST. I met a few friends I'd known from back when I was first coming out (at 18, when I was in the rabbit squads to try to get into the local Northern Ohio PBA regional events ^_^) and made a TON more. Got a boatload of photos that I still need to post, as well.

Also, do have a bit of a want to join IGBO one of these days: only problem is that the nearest sanctioned leagues are in Toledo, and that's about 1:15 away! >_<

(Where I'm at isn't really a gay-person's haven: we have about 3-4 total gay people in our 150-person local bowling association, and if I recall, I'm the only male :) Then again, also being the highest average in our history as well as the manager for the association helps with the respect factor :D )

Posted by: Cody Reed | Aug 27, 2014 3:32:33 PM

8. Enough with the self-promotion, Cary. Some of you need to stop blowing smoke up his ass - this isn't the forum for hawking one's wares.

Posted by: Sergio | Aug 27, 2014 4:07:55 PM

9. Sorry Sergio, I'm not hawking anything other then gay-supported videos. I make NOTHING from Google or any advertisers and, in fact, Google has made it extremely tough for me to get any publicity. They refuse to promote me because I produce an openly gay channel (Crazy Gay Guy) and have branded my channel an 'adult' channel blocking viewers (unless they can figure out how to opt out of the 'safe' mode) from seeing anything I do. All that I do on this channel is done on my own time, under my own dollar and produced as a service to the gay community. You don't like most posts? Don't read them. Pass them over.

Click my name is you want to subscribe to my free gay video channel. (You must have a Google= or Gmail account - that is a restriction of Google and not me.)

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Aug 27, 2014 4:14:32 PM

10. Cary, I'm from that era (ok, early 50's) and I liked your video and the two guys dancing. Why is it lesbians can't dance? (just kidding!) Next time we make it out to SF I'm going to try and join in. I was once a good Lindy dancer. Which one is your husband? Dark glasses/black t-shirt? Looks like all your videos are of SF gay friendly events. Nice. Thanks.

Posted by: Leon | Aug 27, 2014 4:37:31 PM

11. TYLER/RICK no one wants to read your comments, can you stop bothering us with all of your posts under different names?

Posted by: MATTROCKS | Aug 27, 2014 10:18:14 PM

12. Oh, and add SERGIO to the treasure trove of RICK aliases.

Posted by: MATTROCKS | Aug 27, 2014 10:19:33 PM

13. Please. I'm not Rick by a long shot - if you had read any of my comments over the past year, you would know that. Are we to believe that Andy now actively endorses Cary Chauvet's content? It's bizarre how Cary is just given free rein to post anything.

Posted by: Sergio | Aug 27, 2014 11:22:58 PM