Welsh Man Doused in Gasoline, Left Blinded In One Eye Following Anti-gay Attack

Maddick

A young man in Wales was left blinded in one eye following a homophobic attack late Thursday, Wales Online reports

Tyler Maddick, 20, was walking home from downtown Swansea when someone in a car next to him called him "faggot" and threw gasoline in his face.

“Next thing I knew I’d got this liquid in my face. I ran home but I couldn’t call anyone because my phone had died.

“I washed it out as my eye was starting to burn up.”

Maddick went to the hospital the following day and was told that he had lost all vision in his left eye.

“To be fair I think I was more angry than anything. I’m quite a strong-minded person and it wasn’t so much that they had done it, it was the fact that they targeted me because if they can pick on me they can pick on anyone," he said.

Police are continuing to investigate the anti-gay attack.

Comments

1. says

Such a young man and how sad and sick that someone or a group would go to such extremes as to blind another person. If/when found they should serve life in prison. Just sick that he must now go through life with just one eye.

2. says

3. says

@Sergio – it starts with education, and it’ll have to be at school because far too many learn hatred from their own families.

there’s a lot of good finally being done in the public school systems, having LGBT people, and their families, come in to talk about discrimination, and diversity, and REALITY.

we need to reach the young before their crap families indoctrinate them with hate.

4. Jack Ford says

This is sick. I’ve never met a Welsh person I didn’t like so I hope people don’t tar them all with the same brush. There are evil, ignorant thugs in every city in the world. It doesn’t mention if his blindness is permanent or not… I hope it’s treatable. While I don’t agree with the CCTV crazies in general, I hope they use it to catch these monsters. Thank g0d for hate crime legislation.

5. JackFknTwist says

Hate crimes everywhere must be identified for the severest retribution…….there must be maximum sentences for these thugs.
    Have they been arrested ?
    Have they been identified ?
    Are they Welsh ?
    Are they a religious hate group ?

We demand action.

6. Welshman says

What a horrible thing to have happen. I’m from Wales, and there’s still homophobia present in the country. Just an FYI, though, he’s not a “Wales man,” but a Welsh man.

7. Welshman says

8. Welshman says

What a horrible thing to have happen; I’m Welsh and there were times I’d walk home from the bar and get harassed by people, but I never feared for my life like that. Just an FYI, he’s not a “Wales man,” he’s a “Welshman.”

9. BusterLA says

KYLER!! – Hey, always nice to pick out your error-prone voice when skimming articles on Towleroad.

Today, I recommend to you the word “WELSH” which can be used as an adjective to describe people from Wales. So you might start this article: “[a] young Welsh man was left blinded…” Writing, as you did, “a young Wales man…” is the equivalent of writing “a young France man…” or “a young Japan man…” I hope that helps you see the problem, and that you can recognize how the word “Welsh” here would be similar to “French” or “Japanese” in the examples.

(If for some reason you feel strongly about using “Wales” instead, the standard form would be “a man FROM Wales” rather than “a Wales man.” )

As always, I hope you are well and remain hopeful that it won’t be long before you find that special job that doesn’t rely on your writing skills.

10. anon says

I’m going to assume the assailants were Muslim immigrants, since almost all the anti-gay attacks in cities in the UK seem to be perpetuated by them.

Hard to say what gasoline by itself would do to an eye, but there are some nasty additives in almost all gasoline that can really damage soft tissue. Don’t get modern gas in your mouth!

11. Bill Michael says

Maybe it is a good thing he couldn’t use his phone or it may have ignited the gasoline. I really hope his eye can be fixed or will heal. Something tells me the attack could have been much much worse.