Adam Carolla is ‘Done Apologizing’ for Gay Jokes: ‘Tough S–t If You Don’t Like It’ – VIDEO

Carolla

Comedian Adam Carolla is "done apologizing" for jokes that others may find racist or homophobic, the Huffington Post reports:

When he stopped by HuffPost Live on Thursday to chat about the new film "Road Hard," which Carolla co-wrote, co-directed and stars in, the comic responded to a viewer who asked for his take on Calling Out Carolla, a Tumblr blog that documents "anti-LGBT language" Carolla has used.

"Go find a politician or somebody who's in charge and poke a popsicle stick up their butt," Carolla answered. "I'm a comedian. I'm done apologizing, I really am. … And by the way, everyone who apologizes is faking it. They're only doing it because they're gonna get canned."

Carolla added that he doesn't feel responsible for how anyone interprets the things he says.

"You are in charge of your own feelings. I'm not in charge of your feelings. I'm here to make jokes. I'm here to make commentaries. I'm here to share my opinions," he said. "Tough shit if you don't like it." […]

Carolla closed out the interview by blasting the so-called "outrage machine" and reiterating that comedians should be held to different standards:

"If you want to treat it like a problem — and it is a problem — let's focus on where the problem is. Who are the actual racists? What is the actual homophobia?" he said. "I'm with you. I'll grab a pitchfork and be with you."

Last May, Carolla complained to Salon that he can't tell jokes about gays anymore without being put on a list of bullies by the gay "mafia." He also suggested gays should be given marriage rights so "they can shut the f–k- up"

Watch Carolla's HuffPost Live interview, AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. Paul R says

I agree with Caliban. Wasn’t aware that Adam Carolla even works these days, because he was funny for about a week many years ago. Everything since then has been a regurgitation, and comments like this are made simply to attract attention.

His commentaries and opinions mean nothing to me. There are funnier people doing “offensive” comedy, like Daniel Tosh, Joel McHale, or Tom Lennon.

2. disgusted american says

Adam Carolla – never thought he was funny…. he always seemed to obviously Over-compensate his masculinity…esp. when he was on the Man SHow…he’s obnoxious, buffoon, who’s comedy ranks up there with fart jokes and sounds.

3. Richard says

I never thought Adam Carolla was funny.
    this has been’s career peaked a long time ago and when he was the crude foil to Jimmy Kimmel’s brilliance.

4. Shamrock says

I’m not offended he tells gay jokes, I’m offended he’s such a terrible comedian that he thinks those are even funny. If in 2015, you still rely on gay jokes to get laughs, you’re, as so many others here have pointed out, a terrible comedian.

5. Mike says

So this non-comedian is done apologizing for jokes others may find RACIST or HOMOPHOBIC. What did this PIECE OF USELESS HUMAN EXCREMENT ever apologize for?

6. jamal49 says

Adam, honey, there’s a big difference between a joke and a cheap shot. Just like there’s a big difference between being funny and being offensive. Considering that I’ve not known about you save for what I’ve read here on Towleroad, it’s obvious you have never discerned those differences either. Sit down and shut up.

7. DC Insider says

Look there is always a market for Carolla’s brand of low brow “humor” and he’s entitled to say any offensive thing he wants without apologizing. Let’s let the market decide whether he’s funny or not, and like those idiots who complain that they don’t like gay-themed programming, the opposite is true as well. We can also change the channel.

I really don’t want or need every moron to apologize for every offensive thing the moron says. Suffice to say that the Internet will reveal these people as buffoons, and I can choose not to purchase their product. I don’t need him to be silenced. That is not what we are about.

8. Chris says

Carolla is plenty funny. He does broad comedy, but that plays well in live rooms. I definitely agree with him about the tendency of people in our community to overreact to jokes. Heck, some idiots might go so far as to call him a “useless piece of human excrement” or something.

9. Princess Lardass says

Good for him.

Personally, I don’t need an apology from him every time he puts his foot in his mouth while he shoves his head up his ass. Adam Corolla is a comedian. He shouldn’t be taken seriously.

10. John says

DC Insider and Chris: I completely agree with each of you.

I have a pretty wide-ranging sense of humour; off-hand, I can’t think of any joke that would offend me. If you watched “The Aristocrats” you saw dozens of comedians perform variations on the same joke (a joke many people would likely find offensive). Some of the versions – or perhaps I should say some of the comedians – were funny (to me) and some were not. Comedy is a very subjective thing.

Market forces are why Carlos Mencia is virtually unheard of today (well, that and joke stealing).

11. jeo says

Everyone attacking the messenger but not addressing the message. I agree with him. The “outrage machine” has gotten absurd. No one is *actually* outraged at gay jokes, they just *need* to kick into gear to tweet and make themselves feel important.

12. Houndentenor says

I know the name and he looks familiar. I’ve seen him on various shows but don’t remember anything he’s ever said. How can I be offended by something I never heard? He’s affected by the “outrage machine”? He’s barely on anyone’s radar!

13. Jeff Martinez says

I didn’t know he was a comedian, I’ve never heard him say anything humorous. What Adam is apparently too dim to realize is that when you say racist, sexist, and homophobic things, it makes you a racist, sexist, homophobe which is precisely what he is.

14. Countervail says

It’s the difference of laughing WITH a group or laughing AT a group. Compare Adam Carolla and Lisa Lampanelli. Adam literally dislikes gay people and makes fun of them. Lisa likes gay people and makes fun with them.

15. Merv says

I agree that there should be different standards for comedians. They aren’t just for entertainment. They serve an important role as social and political commentators. That doesn’t mean there should be no standards at all. For example, Michael Richards’ rant was beyond the pale. But, notwithstanding anomalies like that, we should have a high tolerance for offense from comedians before we start complaining.

16. me says

I do stand-up comedy, and exactly it’s my joke to make people laugh. If I’m offending people instead of making them laugh I didn’t succeed. He seems to want to blame the audience for having a different sense of humor than him. doesn’t work that way.

17. iban4yesu says

This disgusting high school drop out will never learn. Just another mundane symtom this society is facing. With the public education having been gutted out for so long, crass “entertainment” would be the king.

18. woodroad34 says

He was the untalented portion of The Man Show and he lost on Dancing With The Stars big time–if you can’t show some improvement on that show, you must be really lame. All he has going for himself are anti-gay jokes. He’s in a league with Dennis Miller (I had to keep looking up his name, because my mind blocks it out immediately). For the most part, anyone who is conservative isn’t very good as an on-air talent–they don’t have empathy, nuance, or the ability to put themselves in someone else’s shoes. They also can’t juxtapose reality with farce. His anti-gay “jokes” aren’t jokes, they’re diatribes.

19. Daniel Berry, NYC says

he shoulda been around in the 70s when the humorless Lesbian Feminzai police wouldn’t let anybody get away with the slightest attempt at humor that made the slightest bit of fun of anybody. Those were tough days.

20. KT says

What’s hilarious to me is that this appears to be the most attention the guy has received in years. I watched him for maybe part of one episode on the Man Show many years ago and didn’t think he was funny.

And I haven’t heard of him since then until now. From all the comments here, it sounds like no one else has heard of him since then, either.

Carry on, dude. There’s a reason your career is in the toilet.

21. says

I’m so sick of these “comedians” using the fact that it’s a joke to excuse their bigotry. If you have to make jokes about a marginalized community, you know the people society already makes feel lesser, than you probably aren’t that good of a comedian to begin with. You are the real racist and homophobes we have to worry about because you are essentially a wolf in sheep’s clothing. I don’t want your support.

22. AllTheCards says

I see, when gays take offence to ‘jokes’ that demean them, they’re the “gay mafia”.
    And according to carolla, it’s not gays that are the victims of inequality – the straights that are victims of having to hear gays complain about not having equal rights. Apparently we should give gays equality not so that they aren’t harmed anymore, but simply so that certain breeders don’t have to suffer from hearing gays fighting for their rights.

Carolla never bothered to check his privilege. Sure, he can continue to spew his un-funny s***, and allies to minorities can continue to read him and tear him apart.

23. Randy says

“They’re only doing it because they’re gonna get canned”

That’s what makes it so delicious, fool.

Comedians should be able to joke about anything, in reasonable amounts. But Adam seems to have a particular problem with us. So he can go f–k himself.

24. MickyFlip says

I liked Adam Carolla since he and Dr Drew had the sex talk line show on FM Radio once a week. Fun show. Plus very educational.

Then he went to the Man Show. Meh. Still like Dr Drew though.

25. Jackie says

These are the kind of homophobes who are the most dangerous and toxic. Because they try to make it cool to bash or even kill gay men.

If there really is a “Gay mafia” out there, Carolla deserves to be on it’s hit list.