Kerry Washington Slays the House Down With Powerful GLAAD Acceptance Speech: VIDEO

Washington

Scandal star Kerry Washington took home the Vanguard Award at last night's GLAAD Media Awards and gave a fiery speech in support of LGBT equality and visibility that would have had Olivia Pope herself raising a glass of red wine in support.

Of particular note was Washington's point throughout the speech that marginalized communities should be working together as allies rather than competing against one another for a seat at the table:

WashingtonSo when black people today tell me that they don't 'believe' in gay marriage (pause), the first thing that I say is please don't let anybody try to get you to vote against your own best interests by feeding you messages of hate. And then I say, you know people used to say stuff like that about you and your love. And if we let the government start to legislate love in our lifetime, who do you think is next?

We can't say that we believe in each others' fundamental humanity and then turn a blind eye to the reality of each others existence and the truth of each others hearts. We must be allies. And we must be allies in this business because to be represented is to be humanized. And as long as anyone, anywhere is being made to feel less human, our very definition of humanity is at stake and we are all vulnerable.

Watch the full speech, AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. K in VA says

She’s absolutely right. All of us who are NOT white, male, christianist, and heterosexual should join together and make common cause against the white, male, christianist, heterosexuals who control the country.

2. Tommy Marx says

Well, she’s definitely right about the sharing thing. As soon as I finished watching, I posted this to Facebook. And although I loved pretty much every single word, the thing that hit me the most was the size of the table. Why do we still believe that there are only a limited amount of chairs at the table? We can fit everyone. It doesn’t have to be us against them. It can be us AND them. Who came up with the idea of labels and what consitutes normal anyway?

3. Peter says

I never understood why black People and latin people hated each other so much. I always thought if they could join forces they would be much better off fighting the white devil. Is it the fight for limited resources?

4. AndyinChicago says

I loved this speech, but what kinda upset me is that the audience was super white; this is people cheering for diversity on one front while not realizing their organization isn’t doing enough on other fronts. The lesson of being any minority should be empathy, and that means any LGBT group should be on the forefront of civil rights legislation and movement for all other groups, from African Americans and women to the disabled and undocumented communities. And it means that we have to be just as upset about Ferguson as we are about Roy Moore, just as upset with Sherriff Joe Arpaio as with Matt Barber, and just as upset with the Republican party as we are with the Republican party.

5. Randy says

The limited alphabet LGBT “community” did a thorough job of evicting “other others” in the 1990s and 2000s.

The first step is de-alphabetizing it. If you’re queer, welcome here.

And again, men are the largest disadvantaged group in western countries.

6. Cd in DC says

she’s preaching to someone but not sure it’s the choir, in SF in 2013, a GLAAD lady gifted a garbage bag full of gifts to the buff guy at my table and asked me to move and took my salad for other ladies. Ugh.

7. vic says

I enjoyed Kerry’s speech but she and others need to stop linking the 1967 Loving v Virginia interracial marriage decision to being a huge benefit to black people. Really, the majority of people who engage in interracial marriages are white, Asian, Latino, and finally black (as in African-Americans are least likely to be in an interracial marriage).

Interracial marriage is a fine thing; but it was not a great victory for black Americans. It was a victory for every body. The dream of African Americans is not to marry someone of another race. It’s equality, fairness, and justice…and an end to state sponsored oppression, violence, and murder, which continues to this day.

8. Charlie says

“Of particular note was Washington’s point throughout the speech that marginalized communities should be working together as allies rather than competing against one another for a seat at the table”

This goes both ways, though. How does the “mainstream” LGBT community support people of color and anti-racism?

9. Carlie says

@ Vic, because she was talking about US history, I assumed that she was referring to both interracial marriage and 19th century bans on black marriages.

Anyway, it was an excellent speech. Her parents got their money’s worth on her education.