Zayn Malik Leaves One Direction

Zayn

The world's biggest boy band has lost a member.

Zayn Malik announced he's leaving the group today:

"My life with One Direction has been more than I could ever have imagined. But, after five years, I feel like it is now the right time for me to leave the band. I'd like to apologise to the fans if I've let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart. I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight. I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world."

The band said it will continue to perform and record with four members:

"We're really sad to see Zayn go, but we totally respect his decision and send him all our love for the future. The past five years have been beyond amazing, we've gone through so much together, so we will always be friends. The four of us will now continue. We're looking forward to recording the new album and seeing all the fans on the next stage of the world tour."

Comments

1. jake says

@SAYWHAT, my thoughts exactly lol.. He had a twitter controversy about a year ago when he made some comments about some “revolution” in the middle east or something…. its a possibility though, with kids nowadays. I hope he’s a sane Zayn.

2. SpaceCadet says

If I were a 12-year old girl I’d be in hysterics right now. First the Spice Girls, and now this!

3. TampaZeke says

Good for him. I love when people follow their heart, even when it makes no sense to other people and even when it goes against all the pressure in the world to continue on a path that is killing you.

4. UKRowan says

Well said Tampa. In this horrible world we live in, fame is everything. When did we get like this?

5. BrokebackBob says

All I want to do to anyone who says:

“I’ve struggled with fame”

is to slap them the same way Mildred Pierce (Joan Crawford) slapped her daughter Veeda (Ann Blythe) in the film Mildred Pierce.

Get your things and get out of this house before I throw you out! Get out before I kill you!

6. bicurious says

What a bombshell. This really shakes things up. I hope Zayn is able to find the peace he is looking for and that the other four boys are truly able to hold the band together.

7. bicurious says

8. Jerry says

On the bright side, this could cause an En Vogue-style meltdown in the group, and while that might not cause the band’s ultimate demise, it will certainly take them some distance from the public consciousness, which is all I really care about anyway.

9. Brandon H says

Hey, he’s probably already got enough money in the bank to live comfortably for the rest of his life. Maybe not ultra luxury, but comfortable.

I say smart move if it’s true and his motiviations are true. Go date, get laid, relax, and enjoy your 20’s.

I suspect there is a drug issue though.

10. Profe Sancho Panza says

Touring endlessly with a boy band must seem like dying and going to Hell if you don’t enjoy that life.

11. Maggie Mae says

I believe the insider story is he’s having a struggle with the horse. Can’t recover when you’re in an atmosphere which could surely lead to any early death. Good for him and his family who likely helped with the intervention.

12. Randy says

He’s never going to get the “normal” life he wants. I hope the press at least gives him some space, on occasion.

13. Henry Holland says

“I know they will continue to be the best band in the world”

Hahahahahahahahahaha, he really must be on drugs.

14. iban4yesu says

well done, Zayn.

now you’re financially set for the rest of your life, so invest wisely.
    go to college, get a good education!

Away from all those totally crazed teenage swarm, have a grounded life.

I think his appatently solid upbringing based on transcendental values has given him the courage to walk away from all that madness.

Therefore….. :

SAYWHAT,

your mom is a hooooooo. It’s a joke, dear, of course. Now you may laugh your ass off!

15. gb says

Good for him.He just wants to be free to find someone to love him and not the fame he offers.Then he can get laid in peace.

16. EDNA says

I would be depressed if I was him. It must be very unsatisfying being so famous and beloved when you really did nothing much to earn it – like you were going to be found out for having committed some great con at any moment.

Also, the group’s collective attractiveness just went down from an 9 to just over a 4.

17. parkrunner says

As expected, the usual suspects screeching about ISIS, his Muslim “revolution” and rumors about his addiction to “the horse”. Everyone trying to be wittier than the last pathetic loser’s comment. You assholes probably made jokes about Amy Winehouse before and after she passed. I guess you all will be happy when your wishes come true. You’ll rush to be the first to say, “I told you so!” to your only friend. A bunch of bitchy little girls.