Larry Tomczak, the anti-gay Christian pastor whose op-ed railing against Ellen DeGeneres' so-called efforts to push "lesbianism" onto young girls was lampooned on Ellen's show earlier this week, has written an open letter response to the talk show host over at The Christian Post.
After a ham-handed introduction letting Ellen know that he was "stunned and humbled" by his on-screen mention and that he writes to her "not as an angry, mean-spirited "fundamentalist" but rather in a spirit of humility as a would-be friend," Tomczak gets back on the anti-gay crazy train. He writes that Ellen, being a childless lesbian, "may not understand the awesome responsibility it is to shape impressionable and vulnerable children" and that he was merely stating the "truth" when he put quotation marks around the word "marriage" when referring to Ellen and Portia de Rossi's union.
Ellen, a nation rises or falls on marriage. If we dismantle this pillar of society, as it has existed for over 5000 years of Western civilization and redefine it to accommodate other arrangements such as yours (or those advocating for polyamorous, polygamous or other configurations) what will be the consequences for this sacred institution and the future of our nation?
The true Christian Church must stand as a "sign of contradiction" amidst ever-changing cultural trends. With kindness and courage we must remain faithful to the truth, whether it is popular or not. We must honor a higher law than man, just as Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. expressed in his classic, "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" and is magnificently portrayed in the film "Selma."
In his song "Mercy," Bono stated that love is "charity and brings with it a clarity." So let me close by submitting to you with charity and clarity that marriage is and throughout history has always been the union of a man and a woman, regardless of what the courts say and regardless of how much you and Portia feel affection for each other. Here are just five of many reasons why gay "marriage" is morally wrong and cannot be called a righteous, authentic marital union.
- It violates the clear and unambiguous moral teaching of the Scriptures, which serve as the basis for our Judeo Christian laws and foundations as a nation.
- It is contradictory to the self-evident truths of "Mother Nature" or "Nature's God" (as our Founding Fathers expressed it) wherein men and women are designed and function differently, complement and complete each other, and through the wonder of marital union are able to procreate to perpetuate the human race.
- It is contrary to the explicit teaching of every major world religion, which upholds the integrity of marriage and family.
- It is an injustice and unequivocally harmful arrangement wherein our most precious entrustment, our children, are denied the love and nurture of a father and a mother who complement each other in a healthy family.
- It redefines and devalues the sacred institution of marriage exclusively between a man and a woman, opens the floodgates for other arrangements and legitimizes a lifestyle replete with dangerous, at-risk sexual behavior such as HIV/AIDS and over 30 STDs that are endangering lives, jeopardizing healthcare and impacting our economy.
Tomczak then goes on to lump homosexuality with pedophilia and bestiality before thanking Ellen for "opening up this door of communication and for hearing my perspective." He signs his letter "with warm regards" just to prove that he's not such a big bad bigot after all. Now can he please have a ticket to the Ellen show? Please? Pretty, pretty please?