According to the Democratic Party's new "Civil Rights" section of its website:
Democrats are committed to:
- Strengthening the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division to better protect voting rights;
- Enacting the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which includes measures prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity;
- Ensuring full civil unions and federal rights for LGBT couples;
- Repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in a sensible way that strengthens our armed forces and our national security;
- Ending racial, ethnic, and religious profiling; and
- Building a fair and more equitable criminal justice system that provides non-violent offenders a second chance at a rehabilitated life.
As Americablog notes, the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, one of Obama's campaign promises, is nowhere to be found.
Of note is the inclusion of "full civil unions" which of course, continues to define gay and lesbian Americans as second-class citizens.