The cross section between pop and dance is what helped me discover my penchant for disco and house music, and it's refreshing to hear some of my favorite artists are continuing to follow that trend. Hopefully some of these remixes will inspire you to discover the remix producer's original works, like it did for me.
- Starting things off is an instantly iconic remix by NYC's Justin Strauss & Teddy Stuart, aka a/jus/ted for the standout track on Blood Orange's phenomenal Cupid Deluxe album, 'Uncle ACE.'
- Australia's Flume give's pop's star child Lorde a futuristic remix for 'Tennis Court.'
- The video for Sky Ferreria's 'I Blame Myself' might have created unnecessary controversy that's overshadowing the brilliance of the song, but L.A.'s Benny Casette helps us bring it back to the music with his trap-influenced remix.
- Lyyke Li's 'No Rest For the Wicked' has been making waves on the radio with an America-friendly hip hop remix featuring A$AP Rocky. However, I much prefer the version by Klangkarussell (Sound Carousel) which maintains the original's mournful tone but keeps one foot in a dreamy soundscape.
- Ella Henderson hasn't released the official version of her single 'Ghost' yet, but regardless I doubt it will top this phenomenal nudisco remix by Stockholm's Oliver Nelson.
- San Francisco's Lane 8 tackles the multitalented Florrie's latest single, 'Free Falling,' and adds a beautiful layer of pianos that perfectly echo her repetitive yet soothing vocals.
- The late Frankie Knuckles and fellow collaborator Eric Kupper have provided yet another signature 'Def Mix' remix — this time for celebrity DJ Cassidy's latest disco release 'Calling All Hearts' which features vocals by Robin Thicke and Jessie J.
- Finally, 'Do You Feel The Same,' the infectious lead single from Hercules Love Affair's upcoming album, gets a deeper house treatment from another Chicago house legend: Derrick Carter.
Starting tomorrow, we have a busy week in store for New Yorkers. If you're around, below is where you can find the boys of OXD. Whether you can only make one or all, we'll do our best to keep you grooving. Make sure you come back our calendar often to stay up to date on all of our events.
- Saturday, 4/26: OXD spins at DragOn: The Dollhouse, a drag-themed dance party where all proceeds benefit GMHC.
- Sunday, 4/27: We invite you to join us for another edition of our Sunday Tea Dance, Paradisco, at Le Bain at the Standard, Highline.
- Monday, 4/28: While it's not an OXD event, yours truly, a.k.a. DJ RuBot is honored to be providing the music for Freedom to Marry's 10th Anniversary party, held at the Signature Theatre in Hell's Kitchen.
- Wednesday, 4/30: OXD is throwing the after party for Camp ShareGurl, the ShareGurl app appreciation party held at NYC's Hudson Terrace.
OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD) curates and recommends music events to the gay community in NYC—in an effort to move the focus of the nightlife scene beyond the promoter and venue and to the music itself. OXD's goal is to educate, entertain, engage and empower the gay audience to reclaim their ability to question and experience the unknown. The OXD Mirror will serve to showcase tunes that are definitely off-the-beaten-path but rightfully deserve the attention of the gay ear.
Be sure to check out these tracks and more on our Spotify Playlist. For more information on OXD, check out our website and accompanying blog at www.occupythedisco.com, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter: @OccupyTheDisco.