Brett Johnson Featuring Mikey V: 'Falling'
Dallas-based DJ Brett Johnson might be an up-and-comer on the house music scene, but his new track with vocalist Mikey V (Velazquez) sounds as slick as some of the more well-known seasoned producers out there. The smooth vocals from Velazquez accompany a sophisticated deep house beat that you can't help but 'fall' for. The track acts as the first single off of Brett's The Bounce is Back EP, which is out now via Classic Music Company.
More new music, AFTER THE JUMP…
- Anabel Englund seems to only lend her haunting voice to the brightest of producers out there, including tracks like on Lee Foss' 'Electricity' and Hot Natured's 'Reverse Skydiving.' This time she's teamed up with producer Matthew Wesley, aka Human Life, for 'El Diablo.' It has a laid back, experimental-sounding remix from Chambray that's worth a listen if you're a fan of the likes of Telepopmusik.
- Kitsuné is a label known for some of the most unique nu disco and indie pop acts, including the British band Citizens! who are on the cusp of releasing their sophomore album European Soul. 'Waiting For Your Lover' is the first single from the album, and it's a high energy, upbeat indie pop song that is highly addictive.
- Pop music refixes/remixes/edits are pretty commonplace now as part of the nu disco genre. Often you hear a lot of the likes of Brandy, Janet Jackson and others in the same vein…but I was really surprised to hear Sllash and Pascal Junior's remix of Samantha Mumba's 2000 hit 'Gotta Tell You.'
- Sometimes all you need on the dance floor is a stripped down drum track and simple vocal loops to get you moving. Exploited Records' Light Year gives us just that, in the form of 'Feeling This Way.' It's thumping, fun, and sure to get your buns in motion on the dance floor.
- The name Kevin Saunderson is probably familiar to many – he's considered a pioneer of Detroit House music, and also one half of the duo Inner City, best known for their smash hit 'Good Life.' Kevin's son Dantiez is following in his father's musical footsteps, dipping his toe in producing the past few years. His talent speaks volumes on its own, and got the attention of famed international record label Defected. His latest, the sexy deep house 'Place Called Home,' features the soulful vocals of LaRae Starr.
The OXD Mirror is a weekly music column brought to you by the boys of OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD), a New York City based collective created by three music lovers, Ru Bhatt, Josh Appelbaum, and Tad Haes, who want to share their love for disco, house and dance music with the world.
OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD) curates and recommends music events to the gay community in NYC—in an effort to move the focus of the nightlife scene beyond the promoter and venue and to the music itself. OXD's goal is to educate, entertain, engage and empower the gay audience to reclaim their ability to question and experience the unknown. The OXD Mirror will serve to showcase tunes that are definitely off-the-beaten-path but rightfully deserve the attention of the gay ear.
Be sure to check out these tracks and more on our Spotify Playlist. For more information on OXD, check out our websi