Gay Marriage

BigGayDeal.com
« | Main | Cats and Dogs »

02/25/2004

Gay Marriage Quotes

"In the early 1970s, I was living with my boyfriend and our out-of wedlock arrangement was regarded as rather scandalous by both of our families. When I went to a wedding ceremony of a lesbian friend of mine, I was struck by the obvious irony. Here were two women who could not be legally wed, but who were happily celebrating their commitment to each other. They seemed to have a better understanding of the importance of ceremony, ritual, public declaration than people like me who tossed off the institution of marriage as unnecessary." — Reagan daughter Patti Davis

"I mean, I am surrounded by so many beautiful relationships just in my life, I can't tell you - just so inspirational. And the fact that what the sex is (of someone you love) is an issue is just unbelievable to me. I mean, love is such a hard f**king thing — to find somebody who's willing to go through anything with you and stand by you that, on its own, is so hard to find. The fact that people want to complicate it even more just absolutely baffles me. If it happens, cherish it! What does it matter if you're sharing it with a man or with a woman? It's very strange to me." — Charlize Theron

"The process has gone extraordinarily well when you consider that literally thousands and thousands of people are converging on City Hall from around the world. It's remarkable to me that a lot of hearts and minds are changing over the course of the last few weeks since San Francisco started down this path of ending discrimination." — SF Mayor Gavin Newsom

"I am not gay, but I respect the rights of gays and lesbians. It's not their fault if God makes them born like that." — King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia, an 81-year-old father of 14 in a statement on his website

“Love and commitment is not exactly in surplus in this country. The main tragedy, what undermines marriage, is divorce.” — Ralph Nader

"I think culturally we're going through a huge change. I look at it in a human context because I have friends in those situations, and it's terrible. All we owe people is dignity, respect and civil rights. I think the country will evolve." — Teresa Heinz Kerry

"I believe strongly in the law that we have right now in California which respects domestic partnership rights and I think that that's a very good law. I believe in equal rights absolutely and in protecting that." — California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comments

1. I think personally their is nothing wrong with gay marriage and we should give homosexuals a chance to express their love towards one another. I mean lots of people take advantage of marriage such as a certain somebody who got married in Las Vegas just for the hell of it. If gay people can make it work and save the value of marrige, why not give them a chance. Marriage, whether it be between a man or a woman it is built on the same thing, love. And everyone no matter who or what they choose to love should have the right to express that.

Posted by: Monet | May 24, 2005 6:54:25 PM

2. I am from Australia, and in 2004, our Prime Minister and his Government handed down a piece of legislation , Marriage Amendment Bill 2004, which stipulates that a marriage is between one man and one woman, and that same-sex marriages performed overseas, in jurisdictions where same sex marriage is legal, will not be recognised here. In 2005, this is unacceptable. As heterosexual people choose their partners and then choose how to express their love - whether through a marriage, a pagan handfasting or anything that sits in between, so too is it the inalienable right of every human being to make that same considered choice. Old religious arguments from the 70's no longer wash in 2005. To deny a human being the right to ultimately express their love, however they should choose, is the highest form of discrimination that nay government can impose upon its people, regardless of gender or sexuality.

Its time for equality and lets throw the rest of the argy bargy about religion out the window where it belongs. The line between State and Church is becoming further blurred and this can only change with societal change

Pete

Posted by: Pete | Aug 8, 2005 10:29:15 PM

3. First of all, to you people that are confused about God and the gay lifestyle; God will not force anyone to believe in him. He gave man-kind the CHOICE to serve him or not; the CHOICE to do the right or wrong thing; and the CHOICE to live life how we choose to. He is not going to come down here and correct every single thing that goes wrong on this earth or every mistake that man makes. Things that happen on this earth is the fault of man-kind. In the end, when God comes back, we will pay the eternal price for everything we've done here on earth. The bible specifically states that homosexuality is an ABOMINATION unto God and that they will not make it into heaven. Being gay is unnatural, ungodly, and just plain nasty. Nothing about God, is in homosexuality. He does not condone it, he does not accept it, and he certainly did not create it. Homosexuality, among other things, is poisoning the earth. It's even starting to affect the animals. Yes I think you guys should have certain rights as do others, but not when it goes against anything God says or stands for. There should be no gay marriages, no benefits to partners, no gay priests, and no gay parents. You would bring the children up to be just as sick-minded and ungodly as you are, therefore poisoning our future. To be a gay priest is just like a slap in the face to God. why would you even dare when you know God is not pleased with that lifestyle. To go and mislead God's children into falsity, telling them your ways are okay...is very punishable by God. Why do you think that just because we do agree with your one-way-ticket-to-hell lifestyle, that we are the ignorant ones? That we have security issues? That something is wrong with us? We have no problems. Gay people are the ones who aren't normal. And the only security issue I have is the fear of waking up one day to a gay president to is poisoning this country. Today is gay marriage...tomorrow is marrying 4 people, of any sex, at a time. Then there will be gay men having babies. Next, some crazy person will fall in love with an animal...and you hell-bound people will be hollering "Animal lover rights". You gays need to give it a rest. Just because you guys want to befoul yourselves, the rest of the country isn't going to. So don't try to make us reform to your radical and nasty ways.

Posted by: stand by God | Dec 12, 2005 5:34:31 PM

4. I think that anyone who has a problem with gays getting married is completely idiotic and ignorant!!!! Do people judge you because you are heteorsexual? People discriminating against people just because they are in love with someone of the same gender is the same as someone saying that it is wrong to love or marry someone of the opposite sex. Wake up!!!! Stay out of other people's lives, and get one of your own!!!!

Posted by: Dawner | Dec 19, 2005 6:09:44 PM

5. Oh, and hey, Stand By God, I'm a Christian, and did you know that judging people based on outside evidence is a sin? You need to knock it off with all of the "hell-bound" crap, and go read the Bible if you want to act all smart about it. How about if you want to teach people about the Bible, learn some of it yourself!!!! Stay out of other people's lives!!! Go read a book, maybe you should brush up on the Bible. What do you think about that?!

Posted by: Dawner | Dec 19, 2005 6:17:59 PM

6. let the "emancipation" showcase to us for being like this (gay) besides nobody wants to be like this, and we assure you guys that we're really happy being like this,being free to speak out, and being able to show our sexuality... i mean everybody have their own sexuality, it only differs on how we show and do it!... that's all! ---email me pro gays--- emancipation_of_kk@yahoo.com

Posted by: KENNETH | Jan 2, 2006 8:47:44 AM

7. There were so many terrible negations (logical fallacies) on behalf of the anti-gay rights people on this blog that it disgusts me.

If the legal definition of marriage were expanded to say something along the lines of "two consenting adults" there would be no question about multiple partner marriages or marrying animals or children or anything of the sort.

There never has been and never will be an argument against gay marriage that is of any merit. Sorry folks.

Posted by: Mindy | Mar 6, 2006 5:06:08 PM

8. Well...I have read most, if not all, of these comments on here, b/c I am doing a research project on homosexual marriages. I am FULLY for their right. I mean, SERIOUSLY, we are all humans! Why do so many Christians think you have to be for God, or homosexuals rights? I mean, I'm not gay, and I am a Non-Denominational-Christian. But my Papi told me that it is "not right" to think they have a right to be married b/c it clearly states in the Bible...I disagree. I think that ppl should not mix religion with the government anyway! Just putting my opinion out there.

Posted by: Amber Leigh | Mar 9, 2006 9:00:06 PM

9. well im doing a research paper as well.. and i have also read every comment on here.. and i am not gay but i believe that they should have the same rights to marry as well as heteorsexuals. and if the bible has no standing in american law.. they why can't they marry, the only controversy in this is about 'god'. And to what someone said about the "Animal lover rights".. personally that's bull shit people are people and we can love one another.. so why can't we marry the one we love? Different Sexes aren't different species dumbass.. we are all the same!

Posted by: Maria | Mar 14, 2006 4:49:09 PM

10. What do people really think homosexuals want in a marriage?? is it the party afterwards?? is it the wedding gifts?? No. Its about the right to care for my boyfriend when he is ill, it is about the ability to make medical decisions for the man i have spent the last 2 years with, it is about the ability to inherite possions. You are deluding yourself if you think marriage is about god. If it really was about god (notice the small g) the government wouldnt have to issue a lisence. As soon as government got involved in marriage it became a non-religious event. It is performed by clergy, government officials, laymen, sea captains, and even joe schmo who sends $25 bucks to an address on the back cover of the rolling stones magazines. Seeing as it is a non-religious event now, all your religious arguments no longer hold water. If there is any institution on this earth that condones discrimination it is religon. As for the stability of marriage and how gays would wreck those foundations -- take a look at the divorce rate. I can say with a high degree of confidence that heterosexuals have distroyed the institution of marriage without the help of gays. Our senators place their hand on the bible and swear to uphold the constitution, they do not place their hand on the constitution and swear to uphold the bible.

Posted by: Lance | Mar 30, 2006 6:37:15 PM

11. I am doing a research paper right now and im trying to get different opinions people have on gay marriages. if you have a strong side on if it should be legal or not, email be and tell me why you think it should be legal and why you think it isnt already and if you believe that marriage between two sexes is wrong email me telling me why it is wrong, and what you have against is. it would really help me with my paper, i need some strong opinions.

Kitkatkatie@yahoo.com

Posted by: Katie | Dec 7, 2006 9:06:33 AM

12. I am doing a research paper right now and im trying to get different opinions people have on gay marriages. if you have a strong side on if it should be legal or not, email be and tell me why you think it should be legal and why you think it isnt already and if you believe that marriage between two sexes is wrong email me telling me why it is wrong, and what you have against is. it would really help me with my paper, i need some strong opinions.

Kitkatkatie@yahoo.com

Posted by: Katie | Dec 7, 2006 9:06:40 AM

13. I'm doing a revolution thing for english, where we are starting a revolution on problems in the U.S. Well I chose gay marriages, since I'm for them and I think they should be allowed. I need to get my class to join the revolution and agree with me that the U.S. should allow gay marriages. Does anyone have any opinions?

If you do please e-mail them to me. Thanks.

**my opinion:
    I think that people should be allowed to choose who they want to be with. Society can't choose for us. Its up to us. Love is an unpredictable thing that can't be controlled. So maybe its a little wrong that people of the same sex want to be together, and kiss, and do the same things straight people do. But theres nothing we can do. My brother is gay and he has never been happier in his life. The guy he has found is great. Isn't that what people want? Happiness? Well if being happy means having to love a person of the same sex, then by all means be gay, because if thats what makes them happy then they should go for it.

Posted by: molly | May 5, 2007 2:43:31 PM

14. I like all of the thoughts floating around here. I have another thought. Why do people discriminate agianst the children of a gay couple?? I think it is total nonsense. I am Bisexual and very happy with my girlfriend. I think the US needs to cut the bulls**t and think about others than themselves. I mean seriously, why is it a debate?? Love is love no matter who it is with. I am doing a Language Arts paper on gay marriage and I want people around the world to read it.

Posted by: Alexandria | Apr 6, 2008 9:33:20 PM

15. i think that people should be able to choose who they love...no one can tell u who u have to be with...no one...man and man or woman and woman or man and woman....you should be with who you love and that should be that

Posted by: bryanna banks | Sep 20, 2008 8:31:19 PM

16. I am bisexual and I think it is wrong that we cannot love the person that we want to. That we cannot marry who we truly love because they are the same sex. It makes me angry that people stare at me when I hold a girls hand. They look at us like were serial killers. Why be afraid and disgusted, we are people too so why not try us like it. I've been called a lesbian so many times and there was a rumor going on in my high school about me being with my girl best friend which was totally not true. Also I don't see why they have to make fun of it. That was 2 years ago when I was a sophmore. Now that I'm a senior I have found alot more good friends in my vo Tech School 95% of them are gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender. I feel comfortable with them because I know I will not be made fun of. Thats horrible that I would be afraid of what people would say. Its sad, I just wish that people would understand..

Posted by: HANNAHELYSE | Feb 2, 2009 8:55:49 AM