Current Affairs

CWFA: Starbucks Promoting Homosexual Agenda

Starbucks_2The pro-family wingnuts are at it again. This time it's "Concerned Women for America" who are concerned that certain quotes on Starbucks coffee cups "promote homosexual activity." The quote troubling them is from Tales of the City author Armistead Maupin:

"My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short."

In other words, don't fear the wingnuts.

Just wait until they realize that mermaid on the logo is really a drag queen.

Here's a place to contact Starbucks and tell them you appreciate the inclusiveness of their coffee cup content.

Venti triple non-fat homophobia with an extra shot of intolerance [good as you]
(via pageoneq)

Comments

1. "Concerned Women for America": that was the last tag i thought would associate with something like this.

Posted by: Nik | Aug 11, 2005 1:01:26 PM

2. I don't even drink coffee, and am frequently annoyed by the herds gathered in front of the Starbucks beneath my apartment building which I often have to wade through, but I've never gotten the knee jerk antipathy among "Love Me I'm A Liberal(s)" to this company. In addition to featuring pro gay comments on their cups, they get the top rating from the "Buy Blue" group (as in "Blue State" philosophies) http://www.buyblue.org/ because all of their executives' political contributions were to liberal candidates/issues. Anyone unfamiliar with the site might be surprised at some of the companies with poor records, e.g., gay faves Amazon and eBay get only 41% and 57% ratings respectively, while Williams Sonoma/Pottery Barn rates only 3%. Best Buy, In-N-Out Burgers, Krispy Kreme, and Nordstrom are ZEROs, having donated only to Republican candidates. What's that they say about knowing who your friends are?

Posted by: Leland | Aug 11, 2005 2:57:05 PM

3. You can also comment directly about this series of quotes at --

Posted by: BustersDad | Aug 11, 2005 3:06:07 PM

4. I heart starbucks (ummmm chantico and frappes). They are sponsoring the north carolina gay and lesbian film festival this weekend, so i am grateful they are taking a stand (and keeping me in business).

Posted by: tekay | Aug 11, 2005 4:56:15 PM

5. I agree with Leland that Starbuck's politics are admirable for a large and successful corporation. To that extent, they're not Walmart. They do, however, have a reputation for predatory expansion - a habit of taking over or driving out of business small and independent competitors. The Starbucks on 18th St. in the Castro is a case in point. So I admire them for their virtues, but generally refuse to go there.

Posted by: tcj | Aug 11, 2005 5:02:10 PM

6. Thank you for the Starbucks.com links. I sent in two thank-you notes (via the two links). I think it's important to express appreciation.

Posted by: Matthew Bradford | Aug 11, 2005 6:40:01 PM

7. I sent the following comments to Starbucks:

I'm a Starbucks Duetto cardholder and devotee, and I think that "the way I see it" is a wonderful addition to the Starbucks experience. I was dismayed to learn that certain groups of thought-challenged individuals (the Concerned Women for America, et. al.) have taken offense to a quote from Armistead Maupin that appears on one of the series' cups. To a certain extent, I can understand their anger; they're the ones Maupin suggests we not be afraid of as we strive to fulfill our dreams. Sadly, I doubt they even got so far as to think about what Maupin's words really say or mean before they screamed 'gay!' - being true to yourself is always more important than what others may think.

I'll continue to drink Starbucks coffee, and hopefully you'll continue to enrich that experience and our common dialogue in ways that make people think - especially if thinking is not something that they would normally do. We'll all be better for it.

Posted by: Dustin | Aug 11, 2005 7:39:26 PM

8. In response to the coment above regarding predatory business practices, and specifically the Starbucks at 18th & Castro in SF, I think it's important to realize that while the presence of Starbucks in the Castro may have impacted some smaller/local/family/whatever coffee shops, Starbucks' arrival likely had as much to do with market demand (all of the guppies wanting convenient Starbucks) as corporate pillaging. Of course, it ended up being all of the 'bears' that earned it the nickname 'BearBucks.'

Starbucks, and other national chains that have come to the Castro (Pottery Barn, Walgreens) have all been coerced into funding the Castro Community Meeting Room by the Merchants of Upper Market & Castro (MUMC) as a condition of their presence in the neighborhood. The meeting room (on the upper floor of the Bank of America branch across the street) is available for use for free by any neighborhood community group or organization...

Posted by: Dustin | Aug 11, 2005 8:03:43 PM

9. The fact that all of the other coffee stores in the Castro brew up swill has absolutely no relevance. None at all...

Eh, tastes differ I guess. I can't take how Starbucks hides the varying quality of their beans by over-roasting the beans. Gimme the nice dark roasts from The Castro Cheesery or Cafe Flore.

But it sounds like some Starbuck support is due and that Green Tea frap is decent. Just none of the coffee. Ew.

Posted by: Lyle | Aug 11, 2005 10:25:01 PM

10. Here on the west coast, we've got Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf as an alternative to Starbucks, and their green tea products smoke Starbucks' syrupy new offerings.

But I'll reiterate an earlier sentiment: I applaud the company, blase on the product.

Posted by: RDiggy | Aug 12, 2005 1:23:28 AM

11. All of this crispy critter, freeze dried neosocialist crap about "predatory businesses" and "big is de facto bad" make my teeth hurt. What fucking century do you fools think you're living in--or want to live in? The Castro's Cliff's Hardware isn't a chain but its often outrageous prices make IT a predatory business because they are the only hardware store in the area--a crucial distinction in a city that is very much, however car saturated, public transport dependent. Their occasional community gesture does NOT make up for their price gauging. One of the most recent fights led by San Francisco's lunatic fringe has been to keep a small Trader Joe's out of the Castro despite the fact that it would offer often healthier, much cheaper alternatives to the overpriced inventory of CALA and Safeway, not to mention that Joe's has a neutral "Buy Blue" rating while CALA is owned by Republican-donating Kroger and Safeway shoppers are also pouring money into Republican coffers. Again, I'm not a customer of Starbucks or any other coffee vendor, but decisions about whom to patronize should involve the bigger picture--not just how big the company is. PS: I luv The 'stro but, after many years, still can't understand why it's dominated by not just (apparently)crappy coffee, but crappy restaurants and clothing stores.

Posted by: Leland | Aug 13, 2005 1:14:29 PM

12. Like Dustin, I also sent a note to Starbucks and checked the 'response requested' box. I was pretty impressed with the response:

Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

As a Company, we are deeply committed to our Mission Statement and Guiding Principles. One of our six principles is "embracing diversity as an essential component to the way we do business." This includes the gay and lesbian community.

Starbucks has a long history of giving back to communities where we operate. Supporting local events like the San Diego Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Pride Festival gives us the opportunity to give back to the community of San Diego. We also strive to support organizations that are important to our partners (employees) and customers. Starbucks was among many local and national companies listed as a sponsor and participant, including the San Diego County Police Chiefs and Sheriff's Association.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us regarding the article on the San Diego Pride Parade and the white cup quote from author Armistead Maupin.

Your feedback is essential to Starbucks' continued growth and progress. Therefore, I documented your comments in order to inform all appropriate departments.

Posted by: Adam | Aug 13, 2005 10:45:20 PM

13. Cliff's a predatory business? You've got to be kidding me. There's an Ace Hardware right on Market if you can't cope with Cliff's superior... well, everything.

Posted by: Josh A. | Aug 17, 2005 12:06:09 AM

14. Just found out: Ace Hardware is on the Reddest Companies list at http://www.buyblue.org/

Posted by: Josh A. | Aug 17, 2005 1:02:26 AM

15. Every time I go to Starbucks I get THE SAME CUP!!! I swear, in the last month I've gone there about 20 times... and each time my cup had Maupin's quote on it. Is Starbucks trying to out me? Are their clerks instructed to give that specific cup t guys who could be gay? crazy stuff

Posted by: Tripp | Sep 21, 2005 5:13:03 PM