Sports

« | Main | »

10/26/2005

Sheryl Swoopes: I'm Gay

SherylswoopesBasketball player Sheryl Swoopes is now the highest ranking professional athlete to come out of the closet while still in the game.

In an interview with ESPN magazine, the three-time Olympic gold medalist and three-time MVP of the WNBA says "[I'm] tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about."

Several high ranking professional male athletes have come out of the closet, but only after retirement. Former NFL player Esera Tuaolo told Outsports, "Maybe this will help other athletes who are wrestling with whether to come out of the closet. She should just know that she has support. When you come out, you find a new family and we’re all going to rally around her."

Congratulations Sheryl. The truth has set you free.

Comments

1. As I read your post I notice that you are contradicting yourself...and I quote "Being gay will not keep someone out of heaven. Not accepting Christ is the only thing that will keep us out of heaven; Refusing to accept Christ is the only sin God will not forgive" So with this said...why do you feel the need to put bible scriptures on your post? You say one thing and then when you go to back it up your thoughts are totally misconstrued! I understand where you are coming from with your beliefs and that is fine those are your beliefs as I have mine. But am I passing judgement on you for anything you do in your life? You say you are not passing judgement on people for being gay but then you turn around and leave bible references like you have. I'm not going to turn this into a bitter debate because it isn't worth it. And frankly most of my beliefs are probably the same as yours. If you don't have a problem with gay ppl and you don't think that "we" as a whole are going to hell then why come back with the scriptures? Choose a side and stick to it.

Posted by: a henson | Nov 3, 2005 3:46:39 PM

2. Do the scriptures offend you or bother you? The scriptures are true whether I quote them or not. The scriptures are still in the bible and they apply to everyone. In essence, I am quoting God's words or His message from the bible. These scriptures came from God, not me. God is the judge, not me. God is the one you need to speak with if you are offended. Tell Him you don't enjoy being judged by His laws or rules. I am not judging. The bible says that if your brother or sister (in Christ) sins, bring it to their attention because you love them.

I don't have a problem with gay people, but it makes no difference whether or not I think any gays are going to heaven or not; as I quoted earlier, not accepting Christ is the only thing that will keep us out of heaven; Refusing to accept Christ is the only sin God will not forgive. That has nothing to do with being gay. It has to do with accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior, believing He died for our sins, and confessing that we are sinners and can't make it to heaven without Him.

Maybe I have misled you, but, these are not -my- thoughts; it is from God's word. They are His thoughts and words.

I fell to understand how putting scriptures on the post is contradictory. All of the remarks are from the scriptures. All of this is in the bible. Your bible and my bible. These verses should not be a surprise to anyone.

I do not want a bitter debate either. Please don't feel I have been judging you. You can have the last word and I will not reply anymore. Take care.

Posted by: s wilson | Nov 3, 2005 4:52:46 PM

3. For people who say that they feel sorry for the kid...HOw stupid can you be ?!! Obviously the child will be loved by three people in his life and is obviously being loved and cared for dearly. As for the stupid comment about Sheryl being at UT and left because the team had a full of lesbians is stupid as well. If I was recruited by a coach and that coach left after being fired, or whatever ,I will transfer as well in which she did to Texas Tech...As a lesbian woman, I was not born this way because for one thing that only a small fragment of who I am. The debate as to whether someone born this way or choose to act upon their feelings..no one really knows.

Posted by: Theresa | Nov 3, 2005 9:43:23 PM

4. I agree with you 100% Theresa. Just because someone thinks that I should be with a man because it is "normal" to society doesn't mean I have to be. I have been with men before and honestly I don't hold anything against men. All women no matter what they tell you at one time or another have thought about being with another. Those of us that embrace that are the ones that feel secure in our sexuality. I have a child and all he has seen is me with women. He doesn't have any problems and is very open about talking to his friends about it. And for those of you wondering, he is a "little man". Just because he comes from a home with two mommies doesn't mean he won't be a man. It just means he is going to be a better man than most, because he is going to know to treat others with respect no matter what. Isn't that what we are all suppose to do anyway? As for Ms. Wilson no the scriptures don't offend me I'm just trying to really figure out where you are on all of this. If you feel it is your "duty" to save everyone then fine. But don't tell me one minute it's ok for me to be gay then contradict yourself by quoting scripture. If we lived by everything that is written in the bible just think of where we would all be today. Kinda scarey huh?

Posted by: a henson | Nov 4, 2005 2:22:32 PM

5. First of all...I am sick of all this bible talk. The Bible was not I repeat WAS NOT written by God. It was written by regular joes who wanted to take note of or explain what was going on in their time. So whatever is written will be what they want to portray. This isnt the Ten Commandaments that Moses received on Mt. Sinai, which I might add says nothing about homosexuality. As for Wilson, That holier than thou attitude is really wearing thin. Why dont u go try and save those murderers and rapists who are actually doing harm in the world. Like Sheryl said, U can't help who u love. And Wilson since u like bible versus so much let me hit u with one.

Matthew 7:1-3 "Don't condemn others, and God wont condemn you. God will be as hard on you as you are on others! He will treat you exactly as you treat others. You can see the speck in your friend's eye but you don't notice the log in your own eye."

Posted by: Lez | Nov 5, 2005 1:59:41 PM

6. vipi

Posted by: omosr | Dec 6, 2005 8:40:27 AM

7. Well I see that the bible issue is at hand here. Well, just becasue those laws were told to Moses doesn't mean they don't apply today. Also just because someone is telling you something wrong does not mean they are judging you. Leviticus says verse 13 "If man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman both have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death." Now the part of this verse that was done away with when Jesus came was the death part, but not the abomination, and no it does not directly say it is a sin but there are a lot of places in the bible where is doesn't say certain actions are sins but we know they are. Also just because it says mankind doesn't mean women are excluded. Face it its not of God neither is lust, lying, murder, adultery, or any other sin. Yes God still loves you but its the sins that we committ that are not what he likes. I don't think I'm judging homosexuals I'm just informing. I know that fornication and lying and adultery are all sins, why can't the world recognize homosexuality as sin. Oh and if you want to get technical about it, if you don't see it as sin then if your fornicating which most homosexuals are then that's a sin, because you can't get married.

Posted by: Just Trying To Inform Not Judge | May 6, 2006 12:26:06 AM

8. I 'm happy to be like this to

Posted by: Brittany Hickmon | Oct 17, 2006 2:03:27 PM

9. I 'm happy to be like this to

Posted by: Brittany Hickmon | Oct 17, 2006 2:03:28 PM

10. I 'm happy to be like this to

Posted by: Brittany Hickmon | Oct 17, 2006 2:03:34 PM

11. I 'm happy to be like this to

Posted by: Brittany Hickmon | Oct 17, 2006 2:03:35 PM

12. i love h-towns owns"sheryl swoopes'not only is she an greatest b-ballplayer she is so fine.she is my fantasy girl.long live the 'queen of the wnba".no 1 does it like 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: sheredith anissa gutierrez | Nov 6, 2006 10:16:13 PM